Help Me Decide! Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized or Sky

Trvlngnrs

Observer
I'm at the point I need a little help on which RTT to get.

It will be mounted on the reinforced lid of a Tentrax trailer.

Intended uses..... Southern Utah - everything from mountains (in the summer) to desert (in the winter). Realistically probably 6-8 one or two night trips/year as my wife and I are still working full time.

What is the life expectancy of on non-ruggedized versus a Ruggedized? I'd like to keep it for "years". It'll be in my garage when not in use.

Is the Ruggedized more waterproof/windproof, etc.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone!
Trvlngnrs

jhberria

Adventurer
I can't speak for the ruggedized, but I can attest to the fact that the Kukenam Sky is both wind proof and water proof. I recently spent a full night and the following morning getting rained on high in the Huachuca Mountains here in southern AZ, and the wife, dog, and myself stayed completely dry. As did the mattress, bedding, and clothing we had stored in the tent. I've had the tent for almost a year now, and the tent, itself, is no worse for wear having been used all over upstate NY, Vermont, and now AZ. The only damage I have is to the travel cover, which has a small hole from being drug through tree branches on tight trails.

grogie

Like to Camp
Well I specifically went with an Ayer as it's on an opening lid of a trailer and I just wanted to minimize weight as the trailer's lid is heavy on it's own. (I will say that more room inside the RTT would be better.)

With that being said, the sky is what I'd go with, especially camping out west with open sky. I think being able to look up at the stars at night would be super cool. And of course you still have the rain flap for when needed...

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm definitely leaning to the Sky. Now that my concerns about the waterproofness if fine.

Tvlngnrs

Dust999

Observer
I was looking at both the sky and the ruggedized a few weeks ago. Bought the ruggedized because its closer in quality to the howling moon/eezi awn and I can see the stars lying in the tent with the fly sheet rolled up and tucked in above the doors or taken off completely.

c_mack9

Adventurer
I bought the Kukenam Sky in February and to my surprise, the poles on the inside were wrapped like on the ruggedized models. I wish it had the thicker diamond plating on the base and the anticondensation mat, but other than that I'm fine without the larger poles and thicker canvas. It's really hot and muggy in KY in the summer months so the added ventilation I can get with the skylights takes presidence.

loudboy

Observer
I've got the Atana, and really wish I had gone with the Sky. The material used on these tents is plenty tough as long as you dont have a dog inside trying to claw out or something, and all those windows would be great. I might have to trade up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior