Help me find an expo daily under $10k

Redman333

Adventurer
Ok what I've hand what I like. I really likedthe space and aftermarket support of my 2012 Jeep JKU. Sold that to get out of the payments to buy a houses down bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition. Really liked the engine being the 4.7L V8 but it was thirsty but don't really mind that since I don't drive far. It was fully loaded and I really liked that. Sold that since it had some major issues that I didn't want to fix. I am now in a 2000 Land Rover discovery series 2. I like that it's fully loaded and it does very well off-road. I like the space it offers inside and the after market support. I think I'm wanting something with a bit more of a newer feel to it but still don't want a brand new vehicle. So I started looking at the LR3 since they can be had for around $10k now.

Needs

Space -needs to be of decent size to carry 2 adults a chocolate lab and all gear for at least 4 days or travel but probably not more then 7 days

Off-road capable-I used to think I needed a rock hopper but most stock keeps and land rovers can go through 95% of where I go. That 5% though is where I need to be able to lift and add bigger tires to get through so needs to have some aftermarket support for that.

Options-I like leather, heated seats, power doors and windows. Doesn't need navigation though.

Reliability- I'd like this to be a daily driver I can take into the wilderness so I'd like it to be fairly reliable and easy to work on. I am a diese technician by trade so I can and do work on all my own stuff

Brand- no brand is out of the question. Trying to find out what's out there for this amount.

I will say I tend to lean more toward the newest vehicle I can afford I think that's probably why I have been looking at the LR3's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatemybike

Explorer
Chevy Astro AWD, reliable, capable, maneuverable, easy to work on, cheap parts, more interior space than Suburbans/Excursions, lift kits available, 20 mpg hwy if you are nice to it.

Redman333

Adventurer
I have looked at some of the 4 runners but most of them that have loaded interiors are more expensive then I'd like. Ihatemybike are you talking about the astro van? If I can find a 4Runner loaded under 10 I'd do that for sure. I also started looking for Lexus lx470 and the land cruisers. I have to look into the aftermarket pricing on the land cruiser and lx470 though to make sure that stuff isn't too expensive. I actually found a land cruiser with 178k on it al stock for $9800 online in my area. I don't know if they have it yet but I emailed them. Just haven't gotten a response yet.

Redman333

Adventurer
The only Subaru I can think of would be the forester that would give me a good amount of room inside. How do those handle trails.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I'm on the same path as you, 2 people and a dog for 4 days w/o a trailer and <$10k.

In addition to the LR3, I'm considering a WJ, WK, Xterra, Pathfinder/QX4 (R50 & R51), Tacoma, Tahoe. All have 4LO.

As we're in the "Others" forum, there's the Astro, Trooper, Montero, Outback, Forester, Grand Vitara, etc. Some have 4LO, others don't.

The Astro/Safari has AWD via a viscous coupled transfer case (single speed). The suspension is based on the S10 ZR2 offroad package with torsion-bar front and leaf rear suspensions. Case swap is simple if you need 4LO. Axles are standard Chevy truck and some even came with the G80 mechanical locker. Motor is the 4.3L V6, which is literally a small-block 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. There are many upgrades available but they're listed under the vehicle from which this parts-bin van were sourced. With a 111" wheelbase, it's almost ideal for off road once you address the approach and departure angles. Frankly, it comes down to finding one that meets your needs and whether or not you want it as a daily driver.

Subarus can be wheeled quite hard, if you want to but aftermarket is small. If you know a fabricator (and there are several good ones in NC), you shouldn't have a problem. They're a great daily driver. The difference between Outbacks and Foresters has always been length vs height, but volume is almost identical. From my research, I like the Outback 3.0R and LL Bean models. They have a nice H6 motor and can be had with manual or auto trans. And with the auto, it included a LSD rear (although there is some debate around it's value). These were in the mid-'00s and had the nicest interiors. These also have the VDC management system that is advanced enough to handle most off-road conditions. On all Subies, the amount of lift is limited but aggressive tires can be found in the appropriate sizes. Some hacking may be required to improve approach and departure angles. You would have to decide if it's enough room. In my mind, it would work for up to 7 days if you get a roof rack and are willing to block the rear view. Also, without 4LO, there will be places you can't go.

In my uneducated opinion, neither can hold a candle to the LX/LC but both will be far more fuel efficient, <15 vs >20. If a 4runner is what acceptable, there's no reason to be looking here. There are many pre-'03 4runners that will meet your needs and they're rep for reliability is great (just stick with the 3.4L engine as the 3L has some weaknesses.) You may even want to find a rust-free western one to ensure it'll last you.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Yeah, the Astro/Safari van twins. My high mileage vans are on their original engines. Repairs to them are mostly done by me. I leave the alignments, exhaust repair and windshield replacement to the pros. Several nice Astro/Safari builds in the 4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans sections.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Only 1990-1998 had the Borg-Warner 4472 viscous coupled case. 1999-2005 had the New Venture 136 transfer case with sensors and an encoder motor.

The approach angle is pretty good actually, rear can drag at times on the trail, but I've yet to have it completely hang me up.

Redman333

Adventurer
I'm on the same path as you, 2 people and a dog for 4 days w/o a trailer and <$10k.

In addition to the LR3, I'm considering a WJ, WK, Xterra, Pathfinder/QX4 (R50 & R51), Tacoma, Tahoe. All have 4LO.

As we're in the "Others" forum, there's the Astro, Trooper, Montero, Outback, Forester, Grand Vitara, etc. Some have 4LO, others don't.

The Astro/Safari has AWD via a viscous coupled transfer case (single speed). The suspension is based on the S10 ZR2 offroad package with torsion-bar front and leaf rear suspensions. Case swap is simple if you need 4LO. Axles are standard Chevy truck and some even came with the G80 mechanical locker. Motor is the 4.3L V6, which is literally a small-block 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. There are many upgrades available but they're listed under the vehicle from which this parts-bin van were sourced. With a 111" wheelbase, it's almost ideal for off road once you address the approach and departure angles. Frankly, it comes down to finding one that meets your needs and whether or not you want it as a daily driver.

Subarus can be wheeled quite hard, if you want to but aftermarket is small. If you know a fabricator (and there are several good ones in NC), you shouldn't have a problem. They're a great daily driver. The difference between Outbacks and Foresters has always been length vs height, but volume is almost identical. From my research, I like the Outback 3.0R and LL Bean models. They have a nice H6 motor and can be had with manual or auto trans. And with the auto, it included a LSD rear (although there is some debate around it's value). These were in the mid-'00s and had the nicest interiors. These also have the VDC management system that is advanced enough to handle most off-road conditions. On all Subies, the amount of lift is limited but aggressive tires can be found in the appropriate sizes. Some hacking may be required to improve approach and departure angles. You would have to decide if it's enough room. In my mind, it would work for up to 7 days if you get a roof rack and are willing to block the rear view. Also, without 4LO, there will be places you can't go.

In my uneducated opinion, neither can hold a candle to the LX/LC but both will be far more fuel efficient, <15 vs >20. If a 4runner is what acceptable, there's no reason to be looking here. There are many pre-'03 4runners that will meet your needs and they're rep for reliability is great (just stick with the 3.4L engine as the 3L has some weaknesses.) You may even want to find a rust-free western one to ensure it'll last you.

I had a WJ already and I actually really really enjoyed it. It took me a really long time to find a clean well maintained one and after getting it I had some major issues anyway so I've just decided to scratch it off the list. It was a hard sell even after I fixed it I think mainly due to the gas mileage.

I path finder I hadn't thought about. Or the Wk for that matter. I really would like a second gen Tacoma but all the ones under 200k miles are way outside the $10k price range. I think a taco would be absolutely perfect but I don't care for the older ones that are in this price range. The trooper and montero could be good too. Also is the Tahoe any good off-road. I've thought about these but never really see them on the trails. I do really like the 4Runner but like I said the limiteds are outside the $10k range at least in my area. The only way I would buy a used one would be if a dealer was selling it from another state for a decent price. Which usually doesn't happen.

AaronK

Explorer
Having owned a ZR2 the front ends are garbage. If the astro is based on that I'd run away.
Also the Eaton G80 "locker" will most likely no longer work on any rig you find. I bought my Z with 88k on it and the locker had already failed.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Forester is small compared to the OB by the way. Also lower load capacity compared to the larger heavier platform of the OB. I can never understand why people think the forester is something special. It was designed to target women who wanted the boxy suv look it sits on a Impreza platform.

If your considering a Subaru the only option for load capacity etc would be the outback the 2010 and newer are far superior to the 09 and older regarding space. mileage and cooling system etc. I don't think they fall in your 10K budget. A good friend got a L3 about 6yrs ago paid an auction buyer to find one off lease that had the wiring harness fix done got it for 21K with 30,000 miles on it. Its been pretty decent he hasn't had any major issues with it. Though its pretty small in comparison to most 4dr vehicles today. Narrow and short.

ihatemybike

Explorer
ZR2s tend to inspire spirited driving leading to suspension wear and G80 destruction.

While the shorter 1st generation torsion bars have been know to eventually snap, the longer 2nd generation ones are fine. Astros do wear the idler arms a little quick, but Moog replacements do a good job increasing usable life. Keep them lubed.

I've had two G80 vans and haven't had any trouble with them, even when tagging along with the Jeeps at the off road parks, my van walking up stuff the open diff Jeeps struggled on. I've spent too much time in junkyards and have yet to find a broken G80 on an Astro.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hmm...should I bring my obsession over to this thread? Yup!

2nd-gen RAV4! Last gen available with manual trans, first gen with vvti and timing chains, last generation of full-time 4wd (before front-biased AWD going forward). If I were in a buying situation...

I would look at a 100 series land cruiser. Plenty of space and the aftermarket is pretty big. Plus you have a very high load capacity, and what is possibly one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy in the U.S.

It's not much bigger then a Tacoma so it won't have much trouble on trails, and they all come loaded with power heated leather seats, and everything is very solid. Hard to describe without being in one, they are just so well built. I would recommend going to look at one just to sit in it. The Lexus variant has more gadgets and can be found for cheaper. Driving lightly can get about 16 around town I've found, but using ac and harder driving can quickly lead to 10-12 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears