Help me identify Brutis the winch.

mybigwarwagon

Rarely serious
About a year ago or so I bought this winch. My GF named it Bruits because it is so brutally strong. Thing will pull a house down. I have no idea what it actually is. The plate on the back says Superwinch. I have contacted Superwinch several times and have gotten no response.

When I got it the solenoids were off of it so I pulled the ones off of a broken winch I had and got it to work. Only problem is that I did not write down the wiring diagram and when I wired it I sat and studied the old winch for a long time. Now I cannot remember how to wire it back. I also cant find a solenoid because I don’t know what the winch is. I am thinking about getting some golf cart solenoids but I don’t know how to wire them.

Here is the information off of the only plate on the winch.

Super winch inc Putnam ct062??
P2t# 92-5200
serial #03988

On the motor there is a plate that reads
prestolite toledo oh mbj-441 12v

There are no other stampings or marking on the unit anywhere. Any information would really help me out.

I am going to post this on a couple of different sites and hopefully someone somewhere knows what this thing is.

Here are some pics. There is a cover that goes over the solenoids but it is off in the pics
DCP08052.jpg

DCP08054.jpg

DCP08055.jpg

DCP08057.jpg

DCP08058.jpg

proto

Adventurer
Hmmm. . . Superwinch OX, pre-21st century. (edit: or was it OX Superwinch?)

(The Prestolite motor is the giveaway -- Prestolite was acquired by Ametek in 2000.)

Should be a strong durable puller (assuming you maintain it). They were built in the early days before the Cost-Reduction Engineering Squad went to work squeezing every nickle out of products.

Probably 8000 lbs rating, but would give a bit more if you're hooking the motor direct to the battery with no solenoids.

Last edited:

mybigwarwagon

Rarely serious
I think you right. Anyone know of a source for parts for this dinasaur. I need to do some work on it. The guy I bought it from didnt go much upkeep.

DavidT

You could probably use solenoids off of an old Ford. Any parts store should carry something that will work for you.
I dont remember exactly how to wire them up. I tore my winch apart 2 years ago and have forgotten myself. If I remember correctly,two connections should be bridged (pos cable) Then the other two should go to the motor. One for forward, one for reverse. The small connections should go to the winch control. One positive, One for forward and one for reverse. I may be wrong so I would leave connections off motor and check leads with a multimeter or test light to see if only one solenoid makes contact at a time.

bjowett

Adventurer
Superwinch offers no parts for them... I think they have a couple parts diagrams they'll send you. Solenoids and motors are the only parts available. Whole winches pop up on ebay once in a while. If you open it up I'd enjoy seeing pictures of chain/gear box.

Tennmogger

Explorer
To wire it electrically:

It's a series wound motor. The two connectors at the left end of the motor in the first picture are the armature.

The two connectors at the right end, one above the other, are the field connections.

To make it run, connect the armature in series with the field. The connection on the left end is grounded to the case so that's where battery negative goes. Connect the second wire from the armature to either of the field wires. Put battery positive on the remaining field wire. The winch will run either forward or backwards.

To reverse the winch direction, exchange the two field wires (change field polarity).

Starting solenoids can be used for reversing the polarity of the field. Golf cart solenoids might not handle the current.

Tennmogger

About a year ago or so I bought this winch. My GF named it Bruits because it is so brutally strong. Thing will pull a house down. I have no idea what it actually is. The plate on the back says Superwinch. I have contacted Superwinch several times and have gotten no response.
...chop....

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Now this is one of the reasons why I love ExPo! :ylsmoke:

To wire it electrically:

It's a series wound motor. The two connectors at the left end of the motor in the first picture are the armature.

The two connectors at the right end, one above the other, are the field connections.

To make it run, connect the armature in series with the field. The connection on the left end is grounded to the case so that's where battery negative goes. Connect the second wire from the armature to either of the field wires. Put battery positive on the remaining field wire. The winch will run either forward or backwards.

To reverse the winch direction, exchange the two field wires (change field polarity).

Starting solenoids can be used for reversing the polarity of the field. Golf cart solenoids might not handle the current.

Tennmogger

...chop....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior