Help me out on a cooler-Thanks

fzsk4p

Adventurer
First off, do not want this to turn into a 12v vs. ice.

Gonna be an ice but between, Engel, Tropic and Yeti.

Want something in the 50 quart size but here is the best I can do.

Engel 65 $265
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=4430

Yeti 45 $279
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104722____SearchResults

Yeti 65 $329
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104724____SearchResults

Tropic Down Under 55 $189
http://www.cooler-store.com/downunder_usa_tropical_cooler_t55_3343_prd1.htm

Tropic Down Under 66 $212
http://www.cooler-store.com/downunder_usa_tropical_cooler_t66_3344_prd1.htm

My first chice would have been the Yeti 45 but for a couple less bucks I can get the Engel 65.

Then the Yeti 65 is another 65 bucks over the 45qt.

The Down Under comes in and blows both of them away price wise.

Gander Mountain has a few of the older Yeti Sherpa 45`s for 200 even.

Based soley on price I`d jump at the DU`s or the Yeti Sherpa. But the best deal seems to be the Engel.

Biggest fear is getting some big heavy monster that will be a real PITA to have and use. Is a 65 getting close here ? Perhaps I should be looking at the DU`s for ease of use.

Yeti and Engel have known, proven track records. How about the Down Unders ?

No interest in the Colemans or Igloo`s.

What to do ??

buddha

Adventurer
very interested in this topic. thanks for the links to the coolers. hope someone will be able to chime in with some good advice here...

cruisertoy

Explorer
I own the Engel 65 and it has worked out alright. Paul from Engel told me that they actually had a law suit against Yeti because they had basically copied the Engel. They didn't end up winning, but setting the two side by side there are few differences. I bought mine at the OR show in Salt Lake City and was able to do exatly that, side by side. I like the Yetti latches better than the Engel, but neither is as good as the Galaxy Coolers were (they are out of business now). The only problem I've had with the Engel thus far is the smell from the rubber seal on the lid. It has a strong odor to it and Engel had me scrub it down with soft scrub but it still smells a little. Not a deal breaker though. They siad they had never had any issues with odor from the seal before.

The Tropic down under sounds great though. Really good price, but I did not see what material they are made out of or what the insulation is. IT said something about Rerfridgerator insulation and marine grade fiberglass, but I was unsure exactly where and what they were using.

I wish these guys would get away from the stark white coolers as they look trashed so quickly. Galaxy made theirs in a bunch of colors and their "sandstone" looking one was great.

There are a few pictures of my Engel in my 80 here on the forum.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24339

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'm not much help here on these coolers, but thought i'd add. do you have a sportsmans near you? they carry a couple brands. one i dont think you mentioned but i cant remember the name, maybe its worth a look.

Galaxy Coolers

Galaxy Coolers is still in business

HI All, Thank you so much for your kind comments. Galaxy Coolers is still around. We took some hard hits in this economy but are still kicking. Please check us out at http://www.galaxycoolers.blogspot.com

And yes we do have the best latches and insulation and polyethylene skids for sliding that heavy cooler when all your friends are doing their own thing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

GC

fowldarr

Explorer
Hey, galaxy, I didn't see any product pictures on your blogspot, where can I go for more information?

cruisertoy

Explorer
I am excited that Galaxy/Icee is still around. I know you guys got moved and during the whole name change there was confusion at the Outdoor Retailers show and then I heard from a guy in Colorado that you had gone under. I bought my Engel because of the reports of your demise and wish I had one of yours. Maybe the next one. Are you guys going to be at OR in July?

Your latches are definitely the best. I've broken one of mine off the Engel already and need to get it replaced. One of the things I really like about the Galaxy is that they are available molded with a flaked looking colored plastic. May not seem like a big deal, but my Stark white cooler is looking beat up with dirt and marks. My buddy has a granite colored Galaxy that still looks new after several years of use.

Galaxy Coolers

Galaxy Coolers - The Pro's Choice in Coolers

Thanks for the kind comments about our coolers. Yes, the granite color is still available. We are currently taking pictures of coolers and hope to have the size chart, colors, prices and pictures posted on the blog in the next couple days. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to call 970-946-4905 or email info@galaxycoolers.com and we will be happy to assist you.

cnskate

Adventurer
I bought a Tropical cooler and I'm not very happy with the ice retention, only 3 days in temperate PNW weather. The cooler actually seems cool to the touch, which seems to indicate that the basic insulation isn't very good.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

It sure seems like none of these coolers will really hold ice much more than 3 days realistically and even then will need to be topped off; so is it really worth the extra money to by a great (loosely) cooler when a bag of ice is so cheap. Now granted, most of us may go to places where it's not realistic to be able to grab a couple bags of ice very easilly and one wants to do the best we can. I just can't see spending several hundred bucks on a cooler only to be ticked off after 4-5 days anyways. In that sense the fridge/freezer makes the most sense. However would a Coleman xtreme, marine cooler or Coleman Optimax be sufficient? What about adding a seal and a set of latches to a coleman, would that make some difference? I would think white would be cooler (no pun intended) than a colored cooler and/or a cooler with more mass/more insulation. I just don't buy the: "keeps ice up to 5 days in 90 degree heat" thing. I have several different brands and styles of coolers and none keep ice like I would like.

Pete Wilson

cruisertoy

Explorer
I've had a lot of ice left in mine and in my buddy's Galaxy after 5 days. Sure there there was some that had melted, but my food was still cold enough. When I bought mine I had the chance to buy an Engel fridge for 2.5x what I paid for the cooler. I figure if I'm going out over 5 days I'm adjusting what food I'm taking anyway. My Boss at work rafted the Grand canyon and had ice in his cooler at 10 days.

A good seal on a cheaper cooler might help a little, but do some measuring on the amount of available insulation space, especially on the lids. I was throwing away a bunch of coolers a few years ago (I was a local scout master and had about 12 coolers kicking around). I cut them in half and found the foam to be about 1" thick when it was there at all. Most of the lids have less than that if any at all. Two of the colemans I cut up had hollow lids! These were 10 yr old coolers so they may have improved since then.

The way most of these mass produced coolers are made on production lines, it is very difficult for them to get a properly filled cavity. I spent several days with a group of Rubbermaid engineers at a foam seminar for BASF. I told them I was going to buy a Galaxy or the like instead of wasting my money on thier products. They honestly said they only really expect a 70% filled cavity due to how fast they move on the line when being made. For 95% of the people buying cooler, they don't need any better than that so why waste money dialing in or slowing down the process. Seals and latches fall under the same expense issue for these companies.

Given those issues, a few hundred dollars and some smart cooler management (quit opening the cooler all the time!) will save you money in the long run. Even improving your cooler management will improve your less expensive coolers. Make sure your cooler is cold before you put your food in. Nothing like wasting ice cooling down the mass of your cooler. Don't put warm beer, soda or food in your cooler unless you absolutly have to, cool it in your fridge or buy it cold to start-Another big ice waster. Freeze what ever food you can. This is great for stuff you know you won't need until the end of your trip. I am going to make an ice mold that fits the bottom of my cooler, maybe 2" think. Dead space is not your friend in your cooler. Why cool air? Dry ice is cheaper than a fridge for the four longer trips I will take every year. A small piece wrapped in a small cloth will help extend your ice block by several days.

If your making weekend excursions then absolutely buy a mid range cooler(preferably something without a Nascar logo on it ;) ). If you don't want to drop $600+ on a fridge, a $250 dollar investment on a high end cooler is worth it IMO.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I just picked up a 5-day Igloo cooler at Costco for $56. The construction is a bit flimsy, but hopefully it can tide us over until we can afford a fridge. Right off the bat I can tell it's better than the other cooler we had, which I think is a Coleman. The old Colman is one of the ones with a small trap door in the lid, which makes it all the more inefficient. I'm pretty sure the lid is hollow, no foam. The new one was obviously filled with foam.

I might have tried a better cooler, but like everything up here, by the time I get it, shipping, taxes, brokerage, it's twice the price, and so $500 for a cooler is hard to justify. I just wish some of this stuff was available from distributors up here, instead of having to ship from the US.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I appreciate the comment Nwoods - :)

I'm still thinking about replacing several coolers I have and get something that will hold ice much longer than just 2-3 days before needing to fill it with new ice. Those Yeti coolers are nice and should last a lifetime versus maybe 3-4 years for a coleman, over time that adds up in added cooler cost + ice purchases + possible food spoilage costs.

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan