Help me pick my rig $2000 budget

Ok, so here's my situation. I'm a college students, my current dd is a '99 2wd Tacoma which I want to keep so that I know I have something reliable to get to work/class, but I also want a toy. So far my requirements are:
1) Fit 4 people and supplies for a weekend camp out or 2 people and supplies for an extended trip.
2) Decent fuel economy, atleast 15+ mpg, preferably 20+
3) Fit 31's stock.
4) True 4wd with low range.
5) Some sort of aftermarket support.
6) Most important of all: $2000 or less initial purchase price, the upgrades will be done gradually as I can afford them, so that's not as big a deal.

So far what I've found is:
1) Chevy S-10 Blazer - Cheap, but not sure on aftermarket
2) Ford BII/Explorer - I grew up as a Chevy guy and I'm pretty sure my dad would just about kill me if I got a Ford, so that's out
3) Geo/Chevy/Suzuki Tracker/Sidekick - Really good mileage, hard to find in my budget, smallest of the pack
4) Isuzu Trooper - Just don't know much about these, but willing to learn
5) Jeep Cherokee - Good motor, only sfa in the pack, but unibody
6) Mitsubishi Montero - Same problem as the Isuzu, but I do know that some of these had a rear e-locker factory
7) Nissan Pathfinder - Same problem as the Isuzu and Mitsubishi
8) Toyota 4runner - Best aftermarket of the pack, solid Toyota design, but blow head gaskets on the v6, and hard to find in my price range

So, if you were in my shoes which would you get and why?

Jakes01234

Explorer
I would get the cherokee. It has a SFA for one reason and the other reason is used parts are plentiful, replacement and offroad parts..
It also gets good mileage by my standards. I borrowed my friends stock 94 (bought for 1200 with 122k miles) drove it 2.5 hours down the highway and got 22 mpgs with four people in it..

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
If you could find one for 2000 dollars the jeep liberty isn't a bad vehicle, mine never let me down, Cherokee is a good choice too

ExpoMike

I would add my vote for a Cherokee. Just sold ours after 6 years of problem free ownership. Wheeled it the first year bone stock while I pieced together my lift items.

Just keep in mind, any $2000 vehicle is likely going to need some work. That price range typically gets into the very used, high mileage and likely lack of maintenence.

Good luck on your search.

Chuckles!

Observer
How about a Toyota, 30 mpg, 4WD, $1500, and could even become your daily driver?

toyota_tercel_3.jpg

It can fit 27" BFG AT's, has a 6-speed manual with EL (Extra-Low) 1st gear for wheeling, and totally 80's style. Plaid seats!

Check out videos on YouTube, "Tercel 4WD", they go crazy places with them and surprise everyone on the trails.

vgv1ks9.jpg

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
I would say Cherokee all the way! I got mine for around 1500 bucks and it has been great! Don't get me wrong I have put a lot of time and money into making it what I want, and an equal amount in getting the rig up to snuff mechanically. But overall it has been a great investment and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Hope my jaded opinion helps!

Owyhee H

Adventurer
If I was in your shoes. I'd put a LSD or locker in your current truck if you think you need it. Go camping with it and make do. Hike or canoe into the more remote spots. Concentrate on college and save the toys for when you get out. It'll be sooner than you think. You've got the rest of your life to build a trail rig. Right now you have youth and physical ability. Use it and work it. Hiking will get you in shape for later in life. Sitting behind the wheel of a 4wd will not. I spent more time in the backcountry with a VW Beetle when I was your age than I do as I've gotten older and built trail rigs. It's about getting out there not about the rig.

X2

There is plenty of time for toys after college. Spend the money travelling in the truck you have and dont over complicate your life or max out your budget.

How about a Toyota, 30 mpg, 4WD, $1500, and could even become your daily driver?

I totally forgot about those little Tercels! That may just be the winner.

The aftermarket support that I want would basically consist of a mild lift, gears, lockers, that kinda stuff. Bumpers, sliders and skid plates can be fabricated easy enough.

stioc

Expedition Leader
1st/2nd gen Explorers - Solid trucks, decent aftermarket and in yor price range- yes I read the Chevy comment but still...
XJs - cheap, durable, lots of aftermarket and plentiful
1st gen Pathfinders - similar advantages to the XJs plus a body-on-frame truck with decent aftermarket, basically a great alternative to the overpriced Toyotas

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A second vehicle means twice the registration fees, twice the insurance and twice the maintenance. Do you really want to go there? I agree with the others who say make do with what you've got until you finish school. Your $2000 budget is only a starting point - anything you get for $2k will need some work, and since I'm assuming your monthly income is limited, that will mean a zero-sum-game: Every dollar you spend on the 'new' vehicle is a dollar you can't spend on your more reliable DD tacoma. You could very easily end up with two non-operating vehicles and no money left - not a good situation to be in.

If you must get a second "vehicle" I'd suggest a 200-350cc dual sport motorcycle. It can get you into the back country and can also take you to school on the days when weather permits. ;)

BTW, your location says Utah. I know it sucks having a 2wd in snow country - believe me, I know as I had a 2wd Ford Ranger when I was in law school in Laramie, WY. Yeah, there were days when I couldn't go very far, although a decent set of tires, some weight in the bed and common sense will get you to the grocery store or to class, and really that's all you need to get to, isn't it?

Your "requirements" are also not really realistic. You want true 4wd with low range, the ability to mount big tires and you also want 20mpg. There are very, very few vehicles that can meet that and most of them are out of your price range. And anything that's in your price range will likely need work - maybe a lot of work.

As for those Tercel wagons, the newest one is now 23 years old (1989 being the last year) and they are notorious rust buckets. Even in the arid west the ones I see running are shot through with rust holes. They are also unibody designs and AFAIK most of them had a carbureted engine.

I'm going to guess you're not extremely handy with motors, because if you were I don't think you'd have asked these questions - sounds like you want something to drive, not a project to work on.

We focus on vehicles and equipment a lot on these boards, and I think a lot of us are "gadget guys" who are fascinated by neat little gadgets and things. If what you really want is to just "get out there" then you already have a perfectly capable vehicle (with the exception of the ability to carry 4 people.) Are you limited as to where you can go? Absolutely, but you can still have an awesome time at Moab, anywhere in the mountains, or even out in the desert as long as you know and understand your limitations. A second vehicle on the trip (even if it's just your buddy's wagon or sedan) will add the neccessary passenger carrying capacity and having two vehicles means that if one breaks down you will have a way of getting some help by taking the other one.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for but you have to realize that your current "situation" (poor college student) is a temporary condition. Rather than trying to remedy it with an ideal "expo" vehicle now, you're best course of action would be to "make do" until you finish school and then get established in a career, and then look to getting something bigger/better/more capable.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only one I can think of that meets all your requirements except cost is a 1st gen 4runner with the 22re engine and 5 speed tranny. My dad had one of those and it had no trouble getting 25mpg on the highway.

However, finding one in your price range that's not trashed could be difficult. It's possible a 1st gen Pathfinder with a 4 cyl/5 speed combo could also work, though aftermarket support is not as good.

You can probably meet most of your requirements with an older Isuzu Rodeo. I don't know how rugged and dependable they were and aftermarket is very limited.

A 1st gen Montero 4 door (89-91) with a 5 speed will be good for about 17-19 MPG so that's pretty close. Again, aftermarket is limited. This is a very capable vehicle though I don't know if it will fit 31's without some lift. Ditto for a 1st gen Trooper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Found these on SLC CL...

1995 Rodeo, $1650

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/3148790075.html

98 Pathy, needs a clutch, $1500

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/3129439520.html

Here's a 94 Monty with high miles (240k) for $1800

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/3074573397.html

Here's a 91 Trooper but it may need some engine work. Only $1100, though:

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/3097584264.html

Here's a 2000 Grand that could work, $2000

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/3146219887.html

2nd gen 4runner in Provo, $1800:

http://provo.craigslist.org/cto/3081068227.html

Quite a few out there, the only issue is what you are willing to compromise on. The Jeeps will have the best aftermarket support, but probably the worst MPG. The Toyota is probably nice but the 3.0 V6 can be problematic unless you're willing to have the head gaskets rebuilt. Otherwise a solid vehicle. If you can find a 2nd gen 4runner with a 22re 4 cyl and a 5 speed, that'd be the best bet IMO. Not fast by any means but should be able to do anything else you need.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
X2

There is plenty of time for toys after college. Spend the money travelling in the truck you have and dont over complicate your life or max out your budget.

x3 - Safari Pacific did a great trip around the US/Can in a 2wd Ranger, use that money to travel!

FWIW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior