Help me spend my money on a new rig

stoneydude

Observer
So my 1998 Grand Cherokee is on it's way out. I've had it from 210k miles to 250k miles and it has served me well these last few years. Sadly she is showing her age and parts are breaking faster than I can fix them. I will try to sell her but I'd be suprised if someone will buy her, I might just park her and wait to rebuild it.
For now I need a new ride and I have $5000 to spend. A couple of cars have popped up in my search.
#1 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
143k miles for $4200 4.0l auto
35135703150.361422966.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

#2 2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4 3.7 Manual
123K miles for $5,900
37273000638.368113389.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

#3 1998 Toyota 4runner Limited
155K miles for $4000
4x2 Auto
Runs great one window and the antenna don't work no rips in the leather. The trans case was covered in oil that the owner says he fixed a head gasket leak. I looked at the radiator resevoir and the fluid was brownish not red and sticky. 4x2 is not preferable but I was thinking just a 2" lift and some Treadwright Wardens to give it a little more grip and possibly add an arb to the rear until I do a SAS and make it a true 4x4.

I would love to stay in a Jeep but something about the Liberty doesn't excite me. The Explorer is solid and easy to find parts for but resale value kinda sucks.

What do you guys think?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I paid $300.00 for my 1997 explorer with 200,000km that needed a water pump, tires, and shocks fully loaded with the 5.0L AWD.... the 5.0L was a way better motor then both 4.0L plus stronger trans.... no one wants them so lots of deals

stoneydude

Observer
It's much harder here in Texas. A lot of 4x4 get shipped up North where they will bring more money. There are 2 3rd gens for sale but both are 170-190k miles. Not a big deal for a Toyota I know but after buying my GC with 210k miles and inheriting all the old age problems I really want to get something with less miles.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
One thing you haven't disclosed here is how you intend to use it. If you buy the 4x2 with plans to put a solid axle under it, will you be stuck with a vehicle that doesn't do what you want and will be going down for a major remodel? How long will you need to deal with that? How much will that cost? If your plans justify 4x4, then why not take the planned conversion money and buy a vehicle that's more what you really want.

The Explorer seems to meet what you've identified as requirements. Will the 2 doors be an issue? Low resale is a plus for someone shopping used.

Good luck.

p nut

butter
My wife had a Liberty 8 years ago. Only had 120k when we sold it, but just kept nickel/diming us.

I'd look at couple of other options. Isuzu Trooper and Mitsu Montero. From others' postings here, seems they're pretty reliable, capable, and priced right where your budget is.

stoneydude

Observer
I plan on using whatever vehicle for a dd 90% of the time and offroad occasionally when I go canoeing or camping. When I graduate I will be able to afford a more dedicated trail rig. Trying to do both in my Grand kinda made it go to hell pretty quick (tranny started slipping, cv boots broke, TC stopped working) and I can't afford to do that again to my next vehicle. The 4x2 4runner only came up because it was for sale near my house and would serve me ok (carry me the wife and the dogs, could drive down the beach and light camping duties). The explorer is kinda piquing my interest as it seems to do all that I need fairly well and spare parts are a dime a dozen compared to some of the other vehicles mentioned but reliability seems to be very hit or miss.
The more I look at the liberty the more I lose interest it's just kinda fugly. Although it does have a better aftermarket compared to the Explorer.
Are the Liberty's with the manual trans a highly sought after car?

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well between 1995 and 2002 I turned wrenches for several used car lots in so cal. everyone used to call explorers "ford exploders". not to potential customers of course. this was due to the multitude of problems. not major problems but a multitude of small problems. not that they were the worse vehicles that came through the lots believe me several were much worse off. some models and brands were hands off. highdesertranger

thedjjack

Dream it build it
if you get the exploder get the 5.0L it is the mustang motor with the gt40 heads and headers from the factory... it has the f150 transmission. the only strange thing is it is AWD without lowrange but the transfer case swaps out with a part time low range one off the F150... exact same case different guts... no one wants the fords not bad rigs for little money (I have owned FC170, XJs, YJs, CJs, Toyota Pickups, 4runners, trackers, F350, Delica and drive ever thing made for work off highway... built lots from the frame up)

Spend under $1500 on something with low mileage do not worry about year.... just mileage and rust... if your not mechanical take it to one...

stoneydude

Observer
I'll keep my eye out for one, so far none within 100 miles. I thought the whole "exploder" thing was about the Firestone tires that would blow up causing the "exploder" to roll?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I'd look at couple of other options. Isuzu Trooper and Mitsu Montero. From others' postings here, seems they're pretty reliable, capable, and priced right where your budget is.

This ^^
I may be biased, but a Trooper is one of the best values out there, and I've heard similar things about Monteros. You could probably find a fairly low miles Trooper and mod it a bit for your budget (they don't need much to be very capable 'froaders). Their low resale value is your friend when buying.

Libertys don't have much cargo room, if that matters to you. Troopers are cavernous by comparison.

Clutch

<---Pass
This ^^
I may be biased, but a Trooper is one of the best values out there, and I've heard similar things about Monteros. You could probably find a fairly low miles Trooper and mod it a bit for your budget (they don't need much to be very capable 'froaders). Their low resale value is your friend when buying.

Libertys don't have much cargo room, if that matters to you. Troopers are cavernous by comparison.

Buddy of mine sold one for $2500, I found another yesterday for $2400.

20140522_151944.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12