Help Needed - Wiring Range Rover Sport for m416

telwyn

Adventurer
I've always towed my m416 with my Land Rover Lightweight, but am planning a slightly longer trip in FL with my Dad and would prefer to use my Range Rover Sport so he'll be more comfortable. Not nearly as adventurous as taking the Lightweight, but happy I'm taking him fly fishing and kayaking in the Everglades. For this trip thought I still want to be able to tow the trailer for my kayaks and other gear.

The Sport has a 2 inch receiver on it, but doesn't have the trailer wiring yet. When the dealer put the receiver on for me, I opted not to go with the wiring at that time as I thought I'd only use it for a bike rack.

Already have a pintle hitch adapter to use with the Sport so that's not an issue.

Question is what's the easiest way to wire the Sport to work with the Nato plug on the m416? Should I have the dealer install the LR genuine wiring and then somehow make or buy an apapter to the Nato plug? Or is there a way to buy a Nato socket that I can readily wire into what the LR wiring from the dealer would connect to?

The trip is in a few weeks so my preference is to buy, not build, what's needed to accomplish this.

Thanks for any guidance.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I tow stuff regularly with Rovers. I have the standard 7 pin rover plug on the truck and have a variety of adapters to make different trailers work. Most any good trailer supply place will have a good selection since there are so many different configurations. The adapter I use most often is one I got from Rovers North ( a bit pricey @ $28) part number YMZ500480 7 pin to the standard US 4 pin flat. With that and a $20 set of Harbor freight magnetic trailer lights I'm almost always good to go.

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks, but do you or anyone else know if is there an adapter commercially available that would go from a Rover 7-pin to a Nato plug?

I'd prefer to use the existing wiring and lights on the m416 rather than connecting to magnetic lights (although that is a potential solution - thank you!).

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I don't. I have a Sankey and they have both. Once towed the Sankey with a Ford and the trailer rides so stiff the magnetic lights kept breaking loose and falling off. On an M416 I'd put the magnetic lights on top of the fender flats if you go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12