Help picking out a roof rack for a Dodge Caravan or other non-expedition vehicles

MicahB

Observer
I was hoping folks here would be able to help me out.

I'm interested in getting a RTT to install on my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan. It came from the factory with a simple roof rack system. Initially I was thinking this would be no sweat. Get the RTT slap it on the top and I'm good to go.

Unfortunately, looking at the manual, I see that the load capacity for the OEM system is only 150lbs which isn't going to cut it.

So I'm on the hunt for a roof rack system that I can install on my current vehicle and then transplant to another vehicle as I upgrade. I can't seem to find a suitable system that isn't specifically designed for the typical overland vehicles. Only systems with similar weight capacities as the roof rack I have.

If anyone has any recommendations for off the shelf systems that have the capacity to take a RTT + 2 adults and can work with any type of vehicle I would love your insight. I tried looking at the Thule and Yakima websites but it didn't look like their systems had enough capacity.

E.J.

Explorer
That weight capacity is the max load going down the road, it can hold a lot more when the car is not in motion.

MicahB

Observer
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately 150lbs is still not enough for the RTT I'm looking at. The RTT I'm eyeballing is 205lbs so I'm still in the hunt.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I honestly think you'll be alright with the stock rack. The litigious society we live in has led to things typically being rated at less then half of what it can safely handle. I'd throw it up there with a wind fairing in front of it.

Just looked at some images of Dodge's stock rack. It appears that it has long, low profile side rails with detachable cross bars. If I was worried about capacity I'd get a couple more crossbars to distribute the load. You should be able to get the factory ones from Chrysler or from a bone yard.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I added four additional crossbars (six total) from salvage yard to my Astro factory rack when I installed the rooftop tent which works very well. I like the lower profile nature of the factory rack versus aftermarket even though it is more difficult to access the rtt mounting hardware for installation and removal. An extra long ratcheting wrench helped that though.

MicahB

Observer
Thanks for the additional input all.

Unfortunately it's a company vehicle that I'd be mounting the RTT to so I need to follow all the warnings, literature and whatnot. If it was my own vehicle, meh. No biggie.

I went looking at RTTs again and think I found one that fits the bill. It's only 150lbs, so right at the limit, but, as ihatemybike indicated, I should be safe.

I'll be getting a new rig, probably before I get the RTT, so I'll have to revisit the idea depending on what kind of capacity the new minivan states.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears