Help Please! Truck Camper or Trailer for Washington State

Drifter2023

I need some basic comforts (stand up) and a bit of "hang out" space - so I've discarded truck toppers, roof top tents, cargo trailers, teardrop "bed only" trailers.

I've picked out a truck camper (6.5 feet, 1300 lbs) and an off-road capable trailer (19 feet long, 4000 lbs) - I've got the truck to tow but I'll need to switch up for a camper (fine to do that).

Specifically to Washington - focused on forest service & disbursed camping, not overlanding, and avoiding summer (emphasis on spring, fall, winter).

Will either work OK or is one much better than the other.

Too old to redo choices - need to get it "right" the first time.

I need some Pacific Northwest experience here to help me.

Thanks

kodiak-black

Observer
I moved on from a trailer, though not an off road type trailer and went with a truck camper. For my wife and I it's been a game changer. The rear overhang is minimal, height is the only limiting factor. I can park it in the same places I could park my truck.

Biggest thing for us is that it's pretty much always ready to go. It's on my truck 100% of the time and all we need is to do is turn on the fridge, grab some food and head out of town. I could jump in it right now and leave in 15 minutes since it's stocked with the basics. And not every trip is a multi-day or week long trip. Sometimes it's 2 nights camping at a reasonable driving distance. I only camp dispersed or at minimally improved camp grounds.

I've taken in it through the back country trails of Death Valley without issue and on many forest roads where height clearance was not an issue.

A bonus for me is that I can tow my Jeep and haul my dual sport. It's more capable "off road", than I originally would have thought. Truck camper has been the way to go for us.

Attachments

• 4C870B8D-C7BC-4CFD-94BA-BA693FA4C79E.jpeg
    4C870B8D-C7BC-4CFD-94BA-BA693FA4C79E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
  • F1A136B0-A38A-4E6C-8C85-226A231A7C58.jpeg
    F1A136B0-A38A-4E6C-8C85-226A231A7C58.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
  • CD718BC7-9711-45CF-98F1-CE06F89880FB.jpeg
    CD718BC7-9711-45CF-98F1-CE06F89880FB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43

Drifter2023

I moved on from a trailer, though not an off road type trailer and went with a truck camper. For my wife and I it's been a game changer. The rear overhang is minimal, height is the only limiting factor. I can park it in the same places I could park my truck.

Biggest thing for us is that it's pretty much always ready to go. It's on my truck 100% of the time and all we need is to do is turn on the fridge, grab some food and head out of town. I could jump in it right now and leave in 15 minutes since it's stocked with the basics. And not every trip is a multi-day or week long trip. Sometimes it's 2 nights camping at a reasonable driving distance. I only camp dispersed or at minimally improved camp grounds.

I've taken in it through the back country trails of Death Valley without issue and on many forest roads where height clearance was not an issue.

A bonus for me is that I can tow my Jeep and haul my dual sport. It's more capable "off road", than I originally would have thought. Truck camper has been the way to go for us.

Thanks for the perspective. and your experience. I like the look of your setup - nice.

What attracts me to a camper is :
(1) Not towing - - towing isn't horrible but towing is a thing requiring constant attention
(2) More compact vehicle - half the length of a vehicle + trailer, a trailer seems very restrictive for spontaneous stopping - - by the time I see there is enough room I've passed whatever it was I wanted to stop at, and getting caught on a narrow forest service road with no room to turn around a trailer seems like a real concern in Washington

What most concerns me about a camper is overhanging tree growth - I don't want to spend 5 hours cutting tree limbs on a one hour forest service road drive

I know it's all compromises in the end whichever way.

kodiak-black

Observer
Thanks for the perspective. and your experience. I like the look of your setup - nice.

What attracts me to a camper is :
(1) Not towing - - towing isn't horrible but towing is a thing requiring constant attention
(2) More compact vehicle - half the length of a vehicle + trailer, a trailer seems very restrictive for spontaneous stopping - - by the time I see there is enough room I've passed whatever it was I wanted to stop at, and getting caught on a narrow forest service road with no room to turn around a trailer seems like a real concern in Washington

What most concerns me about a camper is overhanging tree growth - I don't want to spend 5 hours cutting tree limbs on a one hour forest service road drive

I know it's all compromises in the end whichever way.

I've gone down a few narrow trails with overhanging branches. What I have noticed is most likely because of the popularity of Sprinter Vans a lot of the cutting has been done in advance.

That being said a spotter is helpful. I plan to invest in an electric/ battery operated pole saw just in case I found myself in a predicament, otherwise I drive slowly past thick branches and that seems to do the trick so far. I also have a healthy view of trail pin striping. I don't abuse either my truck or camper, but camping/off roading etc. has its risks.

Like you said everything is a compromise.

Drifter2023

If on the west side, and stay with trafficed roads or areas of recent logging. You will do fine. But its easy to get on a spur road that canopy has grown over. that growth takes a few years of no logtrucks but some places you may find yourself rubbing tree branches.
Also with a trailer prepare to pay double if using State ferries.
My last trip to Friday Harbor was around 130$ with my 14' utility trailer.
All ferries can carry semi trucks, there wont be height problem with a truck camper.

No kidding on the ferry - price is triple for a truck + ~20 foot trailer, this is definitely a concern of mine - that's another reason why I started to look at campers. There is an "over height" penalty, but not as severe as "over length" - good point.

Drifter2023

I've gone down a few narrow trails with overhanging branches. What I have noticed is most likely because of the popularity of Sprinter Vans a lot of the cutting has been done in advance.

That being said a spotter is helpful. I plan to invest in an electric/ battery operated pole saw just in case I found myself in a predicament, otherwise I drive slowly past thick branches and that seems to do the trick so far. I also have a healthy view of trail pin striping. I don't abuse either my truck or camper, but camping/off roading etc. has its risks.

Like you said everything is a compromise.
Thanks -

I saw a youtube video recently of a truck camper setup and they had the battery pole saw - they were using it extensively!

I'm getting the sense there are plenty of FSR that are pretty clear - enough to keep me busy.

Drifter2023

Disclaimer: Not in WA, I'm just over the line in SWBC. A few thoughts:

If you are talking Coast... Spring, Fall likely means rain - think about that for hanging out space, how you'll dry your stuff out (incl the soft sides if that 1,300lb camper is a pop up). Eastern WA will be a lot drier.

Winter likely means snow in the mtns. I'm guessing that many FSRs won't be plowed - think about that for driving. And for heating.

Accessing side roads in winter, or even turning off the road, can be a challenge if the main road is plowed and the removed snow is too deeply piled at the roadside to drive through.

In Western WA there is an extensive conurbation with a high outdoor recreation user rate. You'll be competing with those residents for camp spots - think about that in terms of your rig's ability to out distance the crowds. It's not like the easy, low elevation spots won't be well known/used, tho they'll be a whole lot fewer folks camping in the rainy season.

Main line FSRs should be fine for tree limbs. If you take a side road or old road that is overgrown and bushing in, your ability (and concern thereof) to turn around is usually a key factor in proceeding. That FOTA (fear of turning around) can put real crimp on spontaneous exploring. OTOH, if you know the route is worthwhile you'll take the time to brush out the road (or someone ahead will have already)

Spur roads in the mtns, will (should) have been constructed to handle precipitation and snow melt levels will have some degree of run off water management (read culverts/water bars/cross ditches). Culverts are often removed when a road is deactivated (because they can plug with debris and then wash out a road). These obstacles can be show stoppers depending on your rig's clearance.

Or the roads might just be gated, IDK on that score...

Rain-grown pot hole fields on FSRs will beat up your truck more when it's carrying the weight of a camper vs beating up a trailer instead. Pick your poison here.

Understood you want to get it right. General rule: camper will be more manoeuvrable, a trailer will have more space. Both will work. Both are used. I think campers were more popular in the PNW than other places in part because of the ability to still tow, a small boat, dirt bike etc. for exploring.

Important factors: where do you want to go, how long will you go out, where will you put the rig when not being used.

My advice here is the old, "know thyself" for which type you'll be happiest with.

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughtful comments. Will take these into consideration.

I would be focused on the West side of Washington and hopefully some of SWBC too !

I get your point that truck campers are more maneuverable and trailers have more storage - seems to match with what I'm seeing.
I would be doing a lot of solo camping so I think I can live with the storage constraint in campers.

I'm definitely focused on keeping dry and heat - those are must have requirements in the options I've looked at.

Appreciate the input on the roads. I may be placing too much fear of clearance for truck campers - - seems to me the pros of a truck camper are winning vs a trailer for me.

Drifter2023

Then for sure you'll want some wood cutting tools. Not for every day stuff but to get to that perfect campsite or while in camp when you need a bit more room.

We take a hand saw, 32" bypass loppers, hand pruner (or two), axe and sometimes a chainsaw. Tho should explain we are somewhat averse to (more) pin-stripping. When I was single I'd just blow thru the stuff.

Never done the pole saw but I'm fairly new to cordless outdoor equipment. Still think I'd go chainsaw (prob electric) before pole saw but that's something to decide on with experience and other possible uses (firewood for eg)

If you go hand saw, don't waste your time on any but this one:

I'll also mention we travel "solo" but we are two persons which makes cutting brush a lot easier, and somewhat safer. It's a potential time to get injured, esp dealing with hanging trees across the road.

And don't underestimate the importance of keeping your eyes and ears open when working in heavy bush. A few times we've been brushing out a section and a bear has wandered down the road towards us. Not a big deal but it's nice not to be surprised.

btw did I mention it could be wet ... For camper option are you thinking hard side or soft pop up ?
Thanks for the recommendations

I think the soft pop-ups can work, but my main interest now is in a well insulated hard side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior