Help requested, Patagonia, Argentina

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My friends Mike and Geneva have requested assistance due to a broken rear leaf spring on their truck. They are four hours north of Rio Gallegos and are having some temporary repairs made to the suspension so they can drive south.

The broken spring has a double wrap and one of the leaves with a wrap has broken.

Do any members know of a suspension shop in Rio Gallegos that can perform the repair on their GMC 2500 ? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Attachments

• 84073945-2627-41AA-A793-35D06094590C.jpeg
    84073945-2627-41AA-A793-35D06094590C.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 68A5E743-F8FD-4433-BA14-C85ACC6F7D6A.jpeg
    68A5E743-F8FD-4433-BA14-C85ACC6F7D6A.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 9D4ECFCE-B23B-4B97-93B3-4E0D0368F1F2.jpeg
    9D4ECFCE-B23B-4B97-93B3-4E0D0368F1F2.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 67

Explorerinil

Observer
I would tell them to look for a machine or welding shop. Any basic metal fabricator could get that leaf back in working order or patch something up.

Martyn

I would tell them to look for a machine or welding shop. Any basic metal fabricator could get that leaf back in working order or patch something up.
Welding a leaf spring can be done, but it takes a specialized welder to do it right. Heating the spring can lead to softening of the leaf and failure, so controlling the environment is essential. A new leaf may be a better long term solution.

Explorerinil

Observer
Welding a leaf spring can be done, but it takes a specialized welder to do it right. Heating the spring can lead to softening of the leaf and failure, so controlling the environment is essential. A new leaf may be a better long term solution.
I didn’t mean weld it, they might be able to fabricate a spring from scrap/vehicle parts or something to hold it together.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Hence my inquiry, perhaps a benefactor can ship one south. That being said South American adaptation is a wonder.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Having repaired similar springs several times, the GMC2500 uses standard width leafs.

Since its not the main spring with the eyes, its an easy fix, just find a replacement pack, cut out a leaf, and replace broken one.

Some can be done without even taking them off the truck.

A replacement would be easier and more common to find than a repair is my guess.

Martyn

Thank you for all of your suggestions, it’s always good to know people are thinking of you when you breakdown in the middle of nowhere. What we are really looking for is a recommendation for a shop that than do the work in Rio Gallegos, we know it’s a long shot but any help appreciate.

Joe917

Explorer
We broke a spring in Patagonia. A parabolic on a Mercedes 917 (9 tonne 4X4 truck). We have airbags that could handle the load.
I think we limped into Rio Gallegos.
The Mercedes truck dealership sent us to a truck spring shop across the street.
The spring shop said they did not have springs for our truck.
Back at the Mercedes dealership "please come with me sir", back to the spring shop. Two minutes later our exact new spring is pulled off a rack! Installed next day $350 parts & labor.
You will have no problems.

Martyn

We broke a spring in Patagonia. A parabolic on a Mercedes 917 (9 tonne 4X4 truck). We have airbags that could handle the load.
I think we limped into Rio Gallegos.
The Mercedes truck dealership sent us to a truck spring shop across the street.
The spring shop said they did not have springs for our truck.
Back at the Mercedes dealership "please come with me sir", back to the spring shop. Two minutes later our exact new spring is pulled off a rack! Installed next day $350 parts & labor.
You will have no problems.

Martyn

Quick update. The original leaf spring pack was amended earlier in Mexico by the addition of a new leaf with a wrap. The spring with a wrap that broke is the original OEM leaf. Temporary repairs have been made to the pack so they can make their way South.

Attachments

• AE7D7632-C808-41E6-9A35-FB8A19C8ED6D.jpeg
    AE7D7632-C808-41E6-9A35-FB8A19C8ED6D.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 51

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998