HELP! Time to start an '05 Taco TRD Quad Cab Build

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
New to Expedition Portal. I finally registered after months of lurking. Let me start off by saying, based on my ownership of an '05 Silver Tacoma Quad Cab TRD Off Road the following people have been a real inspiration for ideas:

TACODOC (no offense everyone else... but you are my hero when it comes to a Tacoma build)
TRDParts4U (Thanks for answering all my questions on the phone last week)
The rest in no particular order:
Overland Hadley, maxama10, Jacket, KingCrabberCurry, Streakerfreak, heeltoe989.

All sucking up aside... I need some help on decisions:
I am in the Boise, ID area. The primary use for my truck is as a search and rescue response vehicle. I spend a fair amount of time on curvy mountain highways enroute to a scene and then a good stretch of washboard roads. I would say that 80% of my driving is on pavement and 20% off pavement. To date I haven't been faced with any roads that were rough enough my stock height Tacoma couldn't handle from a clearance standpoint (even with the mud flaps in place).

My goals are:
1) I would like a little extra height to clear larger tires,
2) Improved ride on washboard roads.
3) Maintain highway stability with the added weight (I do run Code 3 in my truck on occasion).
4) Build a suspension system that will be ready for anticipated future mods (see list below)

Lift kit questions I am torn between the Icon Coilover front w/Deaver rear spring pack, and the OME kit with 886 front and Dakar spring packs in the rear. I plan to add a winch bumper and winch up front at the same time I install the lift. Is one better than the other for washboard roads and/or on road stability? Is the increased cost of the coil over worth it? TRDParts4U recommended the Camburg coilovers, but I don't see anyone here running them. Seems to be either Icon/Donahoe or OME up front. How come?

1) OME kit or Icon/Deaver set-up? You tell me.

Bumper questions: I am pretty well set on the ARB bull bar. It seems to be what most people have on the Tacoma. I like the Schrockworks because I can still keep the factory fog lights. But is it worth an extra $200-$350 just for that feature? Any comments pro or con for either?

2) ARB or Schrockworks winch bumper?

Future Mods:
- Vision X HID and LED off-road lighting
- Roof Top Tent low mounted over the bed (to maintain aerodynamics)
- Dual Battery System
- Refrigerator
- On board water/shower system
- Rock sliders (probably last as I don't anticipate any really nasty stuff)

Current Mods:
- Icom V8000 2M Mobile
- Garmin GPS Map 60CSx in RAM Mount
- Whelen CenCom Siren/Light Controller
- Whelen LED Emergency Light System
- Whelen Hide-a-Way Strobe System
- Whelen Headlight Flasher
- Blue Sea Systems Aux Fusebox

Thanks to everyone for their inspirations and ideas thus far. You input on my build would be most helpful.

DarkHelmet

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Welcome to Expedition Portal!

Do you have any photos of your truck in action?

?
1) OME kit or Icon/Deaver set-up? You tell me.

I would say go with the OME, unless you want to do desert racing style driving, then go for the coilovers. That is just my 2 cents from the research I did for my truck. Although, most Tacoma's here on the Portal have coilovers, and coilovers can be rebuilt after use and abuse, where as OME's will need to just be replaced. Even if you go with coilovers, I would still use the Dakar springs in the back, like heeltoe989 did on his rig. If you do not beleive me about the Dakars, talk to heeltoe989 about the many different setups he has tried.

?
2) ARB or Schrockworks winch bumper?

While I like the looks of the Schrockworks bumper over the ARB, the ARB is air bag compliant, and that is VERY important in the event of a crash. cruiseroutfit is a good source of info on this matter.

Willman

Welcome to the ExPo!

We have just about all you we need here!

http://sierraexpeditions.com/

Going to need some photo's of this sweet rig!

Icon/Deaver is the only way to go! Makes for a go fast rig!

ARB all the way!......You can always add the extra lights using a hole saw.....I think i might do the same!

Good luck on the build!

Sounds like you have a great platform to start off!

:)

Terracoma

Adventurer
Welcome to the 'Portal!

I'll second the motion for photos... :hehe:

Overland Hadley said:
While I like the looks of the Schrockworks bumper over the ARB, the ARB is air bag compliant, and that is VERY important in the event of a crash.

:iagree: ... The ARB was also designed with animal impacts in mind, something to consider when going lights and sirens on those twisty roads.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
No pics of the truck "in action" yet. I guess I should do that. But here is the Glamour Shots picture from just after I picked it up. We took a field trip to the base of teh Owyhee's and snapped some pics.

Tacoma-1.jpg

The vanity plates for the truck:
LicensePlate.jpg

And me "in action" last winter (on the right) rescuing a couple stranded snowmobilers. They spent two nights out with no gear. Life Flight came in to fly them to the hospital in Boise.
scottmtrescue012.jpg

- DH

heeltoe989

Explorer
WELCOME!

And sucking up is always a good way to get help :)

I use a combination of OME dakar leafs and Donahoe stuff. I went down the deaver spring route with a 10 and the 12 pack and didn't really like the load carrying and empty ride. I went to the OME Dakars and haven't looked back. Great load carrying and great ride on-road. I've had 2000 lbs of stone in the back of my truck when I was building a garden, and I had 2" left to the bump stops.

I like the Icon stuff because of the there service and warranty, they stand by there products and if you have any problems, they fix it, and now. The coil-overs are rebuildable every couple of years which means you can change oil and compression/rebound settings if your not comfortable with the way they work for your truck. I did. I went to a bit thinker oil which slowed things down a bit which really worked well for my ARB bumper and winch combo.

The addition of the Icon ICA and removing the sway bar ( A la TACODOC ) greatly improved the ride on and off-road of the truck. Although I have a bit more body roll I can live with it very well day to day, Its not a Ferrari, it will drive over one :)

My truck is 60% daily driver, 30% off-road, and 10% chase truck.

I love the suspension on my truck and wouldn't change it for anything. The only thing I'm thinking of looking at is the Light racing air bump stops for that extra bit of cushion when the going gets rougher when loaded.

Enjoy your build, and always ask. We've all gone through everything, putting our truck together. One of us will be able to help you with anything. :safari-rig:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Thanks Everyone!

The consensus seams to lean toward Icon front coil overs and Dakar springs in the rear. That looks like what I will do then.

A couple more questions:

1) Upper Control Arms... do I need them with only 2.5" lift? What benefit can I expect?

2) Rear Shims/Spacers: The full OME kit comes with an FK29 Driveshaft Spacer. The fine folks at TRDParts4U also recommended the Toytec 2.5 deg shims for the rear. Should I install either, or both of these if I go with a mix of Icon/Dakar? Is it better to put the lift on and drive a bit to see if I need shims/spacers, or are these good preventative medicine by installing them from the start?

Thanks!

- DH

heeltoe989

Explorer
I installed the OME shims right when I put the new springs in, its easy to drop the hanger bearing and put them in. I haven't had any drive line vibrations at all. I also have a long bed not short

As for UCA's, you don't really need them right now, but the difference in the way the suspension moves and flexes, its just so smooth.......much tougher too. I also have the spindle gussets from total chaos. Really worth it? maybe, maybe not, but I sure don't want to bust a spindle wheeling. cheap preventative gussets. Considering what we do with these trucks.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I'm using TC upper a-arms on my '98 Taco because I am using the extended travel Icons. The additional 1" of droop is nice for trail use, but putting up with the constant squeaking from the uniballs and bushings is not for everyone. I use TriFlow lube on the uniballs once a month or more if I've been running hard, and grease the bushing every time I change the oil. Greasing the bushings isn't all that easy - the zerks are difficult to reach without compressing the suspension. I'll also have to replace the bushings at some point, and that's a major chore...

So, IMO, unless your willing to take the time to do the required maintenance or pay for it to be done, stick with the stock a-arms.

Mark

heeltoe989

Explorer
I went with the ICON UCA's after looking at everybody elses and I found although more expensive, you get what you pay for there just built better. (my opinion) Icon doesn't recommend you use any sort of lube on the uniball at all, it also has a nice dust cover to keep dirt and mud from sitting at the top and right on the uniball and chewing it to bits.

Bushings are not greasable at the mounting point, but that can be changed when you change out the first set of heim joints with greasable ones, which I will when it time comes to change them, due to the lovely Canadian winters with salt and gravel on the roads. The UCA's have been on my truck for a few months now and I love them. You don't need them right now, but always something to consider later on, but not a major accessory to have.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Hey welcome to the Portal!

I think that most people go for the OME setup because it is so much cheaper than the COs. Although, if you want the best ride possible, I think you ought to go the CO route. I think that the DR/Icon are great but from what I've read a lot of people seem to like the other brands they have. IIRC streakerfreak is running camburgs or saws? I will also be going to the dakars as soon as I can.

The bumper...
I'll be going for an ARB soon. IIRC the schrockworks is heavier but I could be wrong. Also, I just don't like the looks as much.

As for the UCAs, here is my situation:

I'm running stock struts with OME 884's (for lack of money) with no top spacers. I noticed that when I had it aligned it is out of spec. My tires slant in ever so slightly \ / Most UCA's were designed to correct this, the exception being camburg, as far as I know.

Also, in regards to uniball, Light racing has come up with a new UCA that is designed to correct alignment with lifts and to give more travel. It uses a sealed design, but... as of now they might have some design flaws. (since I last heard)

However, I'm still not running UCA's cause I can't afford to drop the $600 on the TC UCAs.

Can't wait to see more :D

Cheers,
-Max

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Welcome to ExPo!

Lift?

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the OME and Dakars. Icons are good, but overpriced IMO, and I have not been impressed with how the Deavers have held up (flexy but too saggy...)

ARB is the way to go for the bumper, it's all business.

My suspension is different then basically everyone else on here, but yet I would not change a thing.

I have Camburg 2.5 coilover's in front, and custom Alcans in the back. I love this set up. The performance, ride quality, and stance that my suspension has given me is fantastic. I also don't seem to have the vibrations a lot of other 05+ Tacoma's are getting. I don't really know why though.

Welcome to ExPo! Oh and don't worry, many of us have suffered from TACODOC envy. It was even his build link on TTORA that led me here.
This envy then helps us figure out what we want out of OUR rigs and we find our own needs and what we don't need.

Last edited:

heeltoe989

Explorer
Streakerfreak said:
My suspension is different then basically everyone else on here, but yet I would not change a thing.

I have Camburg 2.5 coilover's in front, and custom Alcans in the back. I love this set up. The performance, ride quality, and stance that my suspension has given me is fantastic. I also don't seem to have the vibrations a lot of other 05+ Tacoma's are getting. I don't really know why though.

Welcome to ExPo! Oh and don't worry, many of us have suffered from TACODOC envy. It was even his build link on TTORA that led me here.
This envy then helps us figure out what we want out of OUR rigs and we find our own needs and what we don't need.

I can hardly wait to check out TACODOC's truck when I come down to Baja.

:beer: :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online