Help, trouble shooting solar/battery system

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Voltages

RV battery voltages are notoriously difficult because the batteries are typically either under charge by day (alternator or solar) or under discharge by night (refrigerator, lights, etc.). The usual state of charge tables by voltage are for "resting" batteries; that is a battery disconnected from charge or load for several hours. This is why some of us are such skeptics of voltmeters as a way to determine the state of charge. You are much better off with an hour counter, like the TriMetric or perhaps the SmartGauge. (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/smart_gauge)

That said:

-- 4 AWG is probably fine for your application, giving you a charge voltage of 13.9v at 100A. (http://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...ce=12&distanceunit=feet&amperes=100&x=36&y=11) This number will get better as the charge rate drops.

-- My two year old AGM batteries generally start at about 13v when fully charged. Of course, that drops when I fire up the microwave.

As is typical, I tend to agree with dwh, without some form of real monitor, you have no way of knowing if you really have a problem.

N.B. My 5 cu. ft. NovaKool happily takes as much as 3-5A all the time. Using the usual numbers, that means you need at least 200w of solar (100w = 5A of charge) to carry the load and actually charge your batteries. YMMV.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks for the solid responses dwh.

No worries.

You confirmed what i thought with the dual battery system charging off of the alternator. I have just been getting conflicting information on this and various other forums.

Welcome to The InformationSuperInterWebsHighwayNet. :)

my manual toggle switch i added into the system outlined by Evil Dave just gives me the option of disconnecting the system when the truck is running, not connecting it when the truck is off. I just put it in so i could keep the house battery disconnected from the starter battery/alternator until after i start the truck and give it a minute before putting the extra load on the system.

No worries.

The alternator reading i gave of 14.17 volts was without the house battery hooked up.

Probably higher at above idle.

The charge controller is hooked to the battery with about 2 feet of 10awg wire.

Good enough.

the fridge is wired to the same battery terminals as the charge controller with about 10 feet of 10awg wire.

One way distance or is that the full length of the loop?

According to this:

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...ce=10&distanceunit=feet&amperes=4.7&x=41&y=16

Even with a one way distance of 10' (20' loop) you should only see a 0.01% drop. Or 12.8v dropping to 12.7v under a 4.7a load.
Same if you started with 12.0v - so if the fridge is seeing 11.8v, then the battery is probably not any higher than 11.9v.

I tested the amp draw with a multi-meter at a fuse next to the fridge and got a fluctuating draw between 3 and 4.7 amps for the first 5 minutes after start up. This is an appropriate draw for the ratings given on the fridge and I would expect it not to get any higher.

Sounds about right. But a normal multi-meter can usually only test up to 10a before it blows its internal fuse. A clamp-on meter is highly recommended so that you can clamp it around the hot wires on your alternator, engine battery and aux battery to see how much power is really flowing.

The monitor i am using is an MT-5. it is designed to plug into the charge controller that i am using, which is a Tracer mppt 40A charge controller.

Found the manual for that online. More on this below.

I stated in a previous post that i talked to a renogy rep and was corrected in my miss use of the state of charge readings given on the display. The SOC reading are only accurate when plugged into the solar array and the array is in full sun. This is something that was not mentioned in the manual, so maybe it is common knowledge that i just didn't know.

No, it's common knowledge that CSR people are generally full of crap. :D

How can that charge controller know the state of charge? It needs two pieces of data: A) it knows the voltage on the charging loop (battery) side of the charge controller and B) it knows how many amps are flowing to the battery side.

So yea, it can't know anything without full power on the solar side.

What it cannot know, is what sort of loads are also on the battery side. Say the charge controller is set to "know" that the battery is full when the amp flow drops below 2a at absorb voltage. But your fridge is drawing 3a. Even if the battery is full, the charge controller thinks it isn't.

(This is actually a common problem. What it results in, is that even if the battery is full, the charge controller thinks it isn't, so it continues in absorb mode (elevated voltage) and ends up overcharging the battery. In most cases, it's not critical with a solar charge controller, because after a few hours of overcharge, the sun goes down and all is well. But if a shore powered multi-stage charger gets fooled that way, it can keep going for days and will cook the battery.)

At any rate, that charge controller's battery state of charge reading should be considered to be nothing more than a guess which might, if you're lucky, be half right.

In any case, I think I am beginning to have the same suspicions as you, that the battery is never actually full. I believe the charge controller may be giving me a "full" indicator and switching to "float stage" before the battery is actually as full as it could be. Going to keep reading through manufacturer websites to see if i can get a better understanding of how this might be happening/ how to check for it.

Manual:

http://www.renogy.com/template/files/Manuals/20A-30A-40A-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-Manual.pdf

Profile graph on page 7.
Charge voltages on page 22:

Okay, first of all what they call "boost" stage is what everyone else calls absorb stage.
Also, it DOES have an equalization function, which it does automatically every 28 days.

So, when set to...

Flooded: Bulk (basically running wide open with current limited to no more than 40a) until the battery voltage reaches 14.8v, then enter "boost" (absorb) stage, where it holds a steady 14.8v for 2 hours then drops to float at 13.8v. Every 28 days, it cranks up EQ function, which pushes it up to 15.5v and hold for 2 hours.

That charge profile is kinda crappy. Normally an absorb stage is at a somewhat lower voltage, and lasts until the amps flowing has dropped below 2-3 amps. When the amp flow drops that far, it's because the internal resistance of the battery has risen so high, that hardly any amps flow. In other words, the battery is full.

Still...it's okay fo do absorb at the same voltage as bulk (that's even the recommended profile for Odyssey batteries). But that 2 hour timer...that's very arbitrary. Depending on the battery, it could maybe absorb enough to be full in 2 hours...or it might take 6 hours.

This would be the charge profile that I'd use for AGM - EXCEPT for that stupid EQ. You don't want to push any sealed battery up to 15.5v except if basically freezing conditions. So if you can't turn off the EQ (I don't see any way to do it in the manual), then you can't use that for your AGM.

Sealed: Bulk up to 14.4v, then hold in 14.4v absorb for two hours, then drop to 13.8v float. Push it up to 14.6v every 28 days for EQ.

That profile is really crappy. Bulking to 14.4v is fine. Absorbing at 14.4v is fine. But I highly - HIGHLY - doubt that after 2 hours in absorb your battery is actually full. And that EQ is useless. For an AGM, two hours at 14.6v is hardly enough to do anything - especially if the battery wasn't fully absorbed when you did it.

We can just ignore the GEL setting.

Unfortunately, I don't see any programming options for that unit, other than screwing around with the goofy night/day timers for the load circuit.

Dude...you need a real charge controller. That one is certain to prematurely kill your battery by constantly undercharging it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Here is the data i collected today (battery voltages were taken with multi-meter at battery terminals):

10:20am charge controller gave me a "full battery" indication and switched to float charge. Battery voltage=14.16v
I then unplugged the solar panels and took the following readings

10:50am 12.93v
11:50am 12.86v
12:50pm 12.82v
1:20pm 12.82v

According to my limited knowledge these numbers look healthy for generic deep cycle battery readings, but I think it may be a bit low for my 155ah Vmax solar tank. Perhaps an indication that the battery wan't actually full?

Those numbers are in the ballpark for a "12v nominal" lead-acid battery - but you haven't said anything about surface charge. When charging (or discharging) excess electrons will build up on the plates (called surface charge). In order to get a proper reading, you have to stop any power flow in or out of the battery, wait a couple of hours for the surface charge to dissipate, then read the voltage.

That dropping voltage you recorded, looks like the battery settling down after being charged (dissipating surface charge). After a few hours of no charge, no load, what is its voltage?

[EDIT: And of course, after writing this - THEN I notice that DiploStrat already covered it. :D ]

Thanks a lot for the help guys.
I have been coming to the same conclusions as you guys based on my reading, but my inexperience with these systems and electricity in general keep me from being confident in my interpretation of what i'm reading.
For example when I read that the charge controller switched from boos(absorb) mode to float based on a 2 hour timer, I thought "that doesn't make sense, shouldn't it be based off volts or amps or something. how is 2 hours always right?" Well, as dwh just described, its not right, it sucks.

I realized i wasn't giving time for the surface charge to deplete before starting to take readings, but I figured there may be some information that could be derived from the readings that I don't know about, so why not provide them. I did take one more reading as follows:
2:20pm 12.79 volts

I also figured this was the surface charge leaving the battery and that the last reading of 12.79 volts 4 hours after unplugging the charge would be an accurate measure of wear the battery charge was at.

I'm increasingly confident that my problem lies with this weird charging pattern design in the charge controller. Its frustrating to think my problems might be caused by an expensive piece of electronics that is functioning just as poorly as it was designed to.

I tried putting the battery under load and taking some readings. I used a 4.99 amp load measured with a multi-meter at the load, 10ft from the battery, connected with 10awg wire. Before applying the load the battery voltage was at 12.29V. After 45 minutes, with the load connected I measured 11.81V. I realize that with the load connected I will get an artificially low rating, but wasn't sure how low I could let this reading go without causing damage to my battery so I unplugged it.

I disconnected the load, waited 5 minutes and measured 12.17V at the battery terminals.
20 min after disconnecting the load I measured 12.46V.
65 min after disconnecting the load I measured 12.56V

Once again, admitting my limited knowledge I would say that I am surprised at how long the voltage took to come back up, but am feeling like these readings are within the realm of acceptable. and that some of the loss voltage could be surface charge that hadn't depleted in the 4 hours since receiving a charge.

I am continuing to look for issues with my existing set up, but as the battery seams to be in working order, I am thinking more and more that the issue is the charge controller.

So, any suggestions for a charge controller?

I will hopefully still be using my 300W solar array consisting of 3x 100W panels wired in series. These produce 56.7V at 5.29A according to the label. I will also still be using my Vmax solar charge tank 155ah battery. It states it's recommended charging current to be 15A and charging voltage to be 14.5v Its max charging current is 35A and max voltage is 14.7v

Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully my blunders will help others.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
12.29v? Typo? Prolly mean the 12.79v you mentioned just before that?

Here's Trojan Battery's voltage vs. SoC chart (bottom of page):

http://www.trojanbattery.com/BatteryMaintenance/Testing.aspx

Your description (if I assume 12.79v) makes it look like it dropped 20% in under an hour with only a 5a load. I.e., 12.8v to start, pull down to 11.8 and it only recovers to 12.5.

That's a bit much. You have a decent shore power charger? Top that sucker up and do your load test again.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

So, any suggestions for a charge controller?

I will hopefully still be using my 300W solar array consisting of 3x 100W panels wired in series. These produce 56.7V at 5.29A according to the label. I will also still be using my Vmax solar charge tank 155ah battery. It states it's recommended charging current to be 15A and charging voltage to be 14.5v Its max charging current is 35A and max voltage is 14.7v

I use a Blue Sky controller, but I have heard nothing but good things about Morning Star.

FWIW: For real world use on an RV, it is generally much better to wire your panels in parallel, vice, series. If in series, shading even one cell of one panel will reduce your output tremendously. Wired in parallel, the loss of one panel does not affect the others.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Your voltage readings of 12.79V before your 4.99A load and it dropping down to 11.81V after only 45 minutes with the load indicates your battery is not in very good health (possibly sulfated)
You said earlier everything is new, does this include the battery too? If so, I would suggest check the date code on it, It's possible you got an old battery that has been sitting around, or maybe it was someone else's returned unit. I'd maybe see about returning it for another one.

That charge profile is kinda crappy. Normally an absorb stage is at a somewhat lower voltage, and lasts until the amps flowing has dropped below 2-3 amps. When the amp flow drops that far, it's because the internal resistance of the battery has risen so high, that hardly any amps flow. In other words, the battery is full.

I haven't seen a charge controller (or a battery charging recommendation) having a lower absorptive charging voltage than the voltage at which the Bulk stage terminates, all the ones I've seen have always been the same voltage. Odyssey's recommendation seems very much the norm to me.

FWIW: For real world use on an RV, it is generally much better to wire your panels in parallel, vice, series. If in series, shading even one cell of one panel will reduce your output tremendously. Wired in parallel, the loss of one panel does not affect the others.

This isn't an issue if the panels have built-in bypass diodes (which I believe most do... my 85W chinese panels certainly do anyway). This allows the current to flow past a shaded panel in a series setup.

Last edited:

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I had similar problems with a 145 ah agm battery. Which would be floating at noon, but at night time it didnt take long to get down to 12.3 volts or lower. Eventually I replaced it with a kinitek khc2000 102ah agm, this battery after all night use reads 12.6 volts. The battery might have been 145 ah but had lost most its capacity. It was a giant telecom backup battery, and I suspect that was why it was giving problems.

Theres ways to test your battery but it requires special tools, but you done a somewhat decent load test, and a fully charge battery wouldnt drop below 12.1 volts with just a 5 amp load. I myself put a 11 amp load on my fully charge agm and run it for 30 minutes and it dont drop below 12.4 volts and goes right back up to 12.6 as soon as I unplug the load.

VMAX is suppose to be a decent agm battery comparable to the kinetiks. So I'm surprise its not holding a charge. At 155ah it should run your fridge at least 2 days before you need to recharge it.

If you can set the float on your controller to 14.4 volts, no need to replace it. The solar charge controller as long as the voltage never goes over 15 volts wont overcharge your battery, but if it keeps undercharging your battery it will kill it.
By setting the float to 14.4 volts you will never undercharge the battery. AGM batteries can float at 14.4 volts all the time its on solar without damage. My kinitek has been floating at 14.3 volts (the highest setting my controller allows) for the past 2 years, the battery still reads 12.9 volts after a day of charging. I bought the battery use 3 years ago and still running great. Once the battery gets full, it just comsumes 1 or 2 amps, even if your panel produces 15 amps a fully charge battery wont take more than it needs.

solarpaneltalk forum has good info on everything solar, thats where I learned about setting my float to 14.4 volts to keep from undercharging my battery. And undercharging your batteries is the primary cause of premature battery failure. A fully charge battery is a happy battery.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader

This isn't an issue if the panels have built-in bypass diodes (which I believe most do... my 85W chinese panels certainly do anyway). This allows the current to flow past a shaded panel in a series setup.

Interesting. I know my GS-100 panels must have bypass diodes, but all of the real world testing that I have seen (more correctly, read about) still indicates that panel to panel, one is better off with parallel wiring if you risk a lot of shading. (AFAIK all residential installs are series.)

I have not personally tested this.

well, I plugged the battery into an ac charger over night. I got numbers that look more like what Vmax said I should be seeing with a full charge. 13.07V 4 hours after disconnecting the charger.
That seams like a significant difference compared to the 12.8V I was seeing 4 hours after disconnecting the charge controller from solar array.

I talked to another renogy rep today. He said that it sounds like my charge controller may be faulty and not providing as high a charge as it should during the float stage. they are going to replace the unit, so fingers crossed that this solves my issue, or at least improves it.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
RV battery voltages are notoriously difficult because the batteries are typically either under charge by day (alternator or solar) or under discharge by night (refrigerator, lights, etc.). The usual state of charge tables by voltage are for "resting" batteries; that is a battery disconnected from charge or load for several hours. This is why some of us are such skeptics of voltmeters as a way to determine the state of charge. You are much better off with an hour counter, like the TriMetric or perhaps the SmartGauge. (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/smart_gauge)

that said

-- 4 AWG is probably fine for your application, giving you a charge voltage of 13.9v at 100A. (http://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...tance=12&distanceunit=feet&eres=100&x=36&y=11) This number will get better as the charge rate drops.

-- My two year old AGM batteries generally start at about 13v when fully charged. Of course, that drops when I fire up the microwave.

As is typical, I tend to agree with dwh, without some form of real monitor, you have no way of knowing if you really have a problem.

N.B. My 5 cu. ft. NovaKool happily takes as much as 3-5A all the time. Using the usual numbers, that means you need at least 200w of solar (100w = 5A of charge) to carry the load and actually charge your batteries. YMMV.

What this guy said. Those voltage based monitors are fairly useless. If you want to get a rough idea of your battery's state of charge you need to measure the voltage after teh battery has been at rest, nothing hooked up to it essentially, for a minimum of 4 hours, I would go for 12. A healthy deep cycle is full when resting at 12.7 minimum. Mine will rest at 12.9 after a good equalizing cycle. As mentioned above if you really want to know whats going on with your batteries get a monitor that can track actual current in and out of the battery. The trimetric is a good choice. If you get one, and decide you want a more cohesive charger/monitor combo you can get the sc2030 charge controller which interfaces with the trimetric and makes a very powerful and configurable solar charging system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12