Help us name our new Teardrop!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Here's the story: Wife and I both like camping but we're old enough that sleeping on the ground doesn't hold much attraction for us. We tried camping in the back of my Tacoma when I had it, but while that works for one person camping, for two people and a dog it's just a little too cramped.

After discussing it for a few months, wife and I decided to get a teardrop trailer. We love the teardrop design with it's retro-30's look, and we don't need anything bigger. We started looking on Craigslist and we found a gorgeous home made teardrop in Glenwood Springs, and yesterday we drove up there and got it.

Here it is when we picked it up and hooked it to my 4runner:

2012_0115_132929AA.jpg

They guy who built it is an amazing craftsman with wood (he also builds electric guitars - there were a few half-finished guitars hanging on the wall in his garage/workshop where he built the trailer.)

We hauled it home the 165 miles from Glenwood (including two high passes - Vail at 10,600' and the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000') without any problems. In fact, my average MPG for the round trip was 19.9!

Here we are at a rest area near Eagle:

2012_0115_150706AA.jpg

The guy who built it pulled it with a 2nd gen Tacoma and I guess his trailer hitch was rather high. Good news for me, it means that if I put a lift on my 4runner I still won't be dragging the tail of the trailer.

The builder built it on a heavy duty utility trailer frame so it's pretty heavy. He estimated 1100lbs but I'll get it weighed so I know for sure. Although I did "feel" the weight of the trailer (especially climbing Vail pass from 8100' to the crest) the 4runner seemed able to handle it well.

This morning we started taking pictures. Here I am standing next to it. As you can see, it's not huge, but the floor area is bigger than a queen sized bed, so it should be perfectly comfortable for sleeping.

2012_0116_133237AA.jpg

Both of the large round windows open and they both have screens for ventilation. We love the turquoise paint he put on the interior!

2012_0116_133136AA.jpg

Interior is simple but spacious. Sleeping pads were included as was the iPad holder and a speaker system! There is even a working air conditioner.

2012_0116_133113AA.jpg

The "galley" isn't as spacious as on some other teardrops, but that gives me more legroom. You can also see the back end of the air conditioner here.

2012_0116_132745AA.jpg

Our cattle dog Shaila seems to think it'e her personal rolling doghouse!

2012_0116_133016AA.jpg

The umbrella was included and you can see there are brackets to hold it to the trailer.

2012_0116_132824AA.jpg

The builder used marine-grade plywood and put a "teardrop" shape on the roof with the stain. It's also heavily varnished, as I'm sure you can imagine.

2012_0116_132914AA.jpg

So now all she needs is a name. Wife suggested "Woody" like the Toy Story character, but I said that with all those curves, it's definitely female so maybe "Jessie?" We still aren't sure. Maybe something "tropical."

ANyway, we're looking forward to a great series of trips starting once it warms up a bit!

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Great teardrop!
I think I'd look for a name that tied back to its builder, maybe a guitar or musical theme.
One of the things I like about tears is the endless variations of customization. You've got a fully functional hard-sided tent with the room you desire and little of the other gee-gaws which make for convenience if they're the ones you want and frustrations if they aren't the ones you'll use. There's differing schools of thought on the number of doors, there is convenience with the second and security with only one. Clever install and location on the A/C unit as well although I've discovered an exhausting fan works wonders for cooling things down.
Is the driver side silver thing a shore power connection?
Mine seems to pull happier when more level so you might consider flipping your receiver and ball.
Will be watching where this one goes and what you discover by living with it.

jim65wagon

Call it the Les Paul or the Flying V........
I would also flip the hitch until you get a lift, just to level the tow a little bit.
Cool looking little teardrop, should make for some quite comfortable nights. Heck with AC, Ipad movies and stereo sound, muggy summer days will be an easy breezy movie marathon!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Is the driver side silver thing a shore power connection?

Yup. It's a standard 3-prong 120VAC male plug. They guy we bought it from also had an adapter for a different type of power connector but he said every KOA he stayed in had the standard 3 prong type. So we'll just carry a heavy extension cord for power.

The box at the left side of the galley has a power strip in it. That's where the AC unit and the iPad speakers are plugged in. He also included a coffee pot and a hot plate for cooking, although we have a propane camp stove we'll probably use.

Mine seems to pull happier when more level so you might consider flipping your receiver and ball.
Will be watching where this one goes and what you discover by living with it.

Good point on flipping the ball, that will keep it more level. I am also looking at a lift kit anyway so it's nice to know I've got some room to go before it gets too high.

We're already starting to think about places to go. We haven't been to Yellowstone since 2006. And neither one of us has ever been to Crater Lake, OR.

We also found an interesting web site called teardrops.net for all things teardrop related.

gahi

Adventurer
I remember seeing that on CL. I was trying to talk myself into it, it was a really good price if I remember correctly. Good score!

jim65wagon

Martinjmpr said:
We also found an interesting web site called teardrops.net for all things teardrop related.

You can always find good info on the T&TTT (teardrops & tiny travel trailers) site and the Tearjerkers site. You have to register for the Tearjerkers to read anything, and many of the people there are on T&TTT. Knowledgeable and friendly, and can answer just about anything you could ask about Tears

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Neat trailer... bigger inside than it looks.

I am liking Bubbles as well, goes with the round port hole theme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78