Help weighing my vehicle options

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I could use a little help with a tough decision. Please forgive the long explanation, but I’m trying to cover the whole picture here.

A recent trip involving steep climbs at high altitudes pulling the trailer has had me thinking about what to do next. Do I regear my differentials from 4.3’s to the only available option I’ve found: 4.9, or do I look into other vehicles that might handle the load better (both on highway and off-road).

I’m running 33” tires; whereas, stock on this vehicle is 31”. This has hurt my power a bit and then adding the trailer has put a strain on the drivetrain.

Off-road, the Montero actually did pretty well. Only when I was at high altitudes and attempting steep climbs did I notice an issue. I think this is mainly due to a low first gear (3.8). In fact, I almost didn’t make the climbs at all. Just barely, in first gear, at 12-1500 RPM’s and the engine felt like it would stall at any point. I could have walked faster up those hills, albeit, without carrying the trailer on my back. With the pedal to the floor, the engine just couldn’t go any faster than 1500 RPM’s.

On highway, for long steep climbs, I had to resort to 1st gear a lot just to make the climb. 2nd gear was almost useable in a lot of cases, but just not quite enough. I get the feeling that with re-gearing the differentials, that may be just enough to allow me the use of 2nd gear too. On less steep climbs on the highway, I might be able to stay in 4th or even 5th gear without having to run 3rd gear at 4500RPM’s just to maintain momentum. If I let the RPM’s drop below 3500, then I’d lose momentum and have to drop to 2nd gear.

New vehicle or re-gear to 4.9?

So, I’ve been looking at two other vehicles this week: Rubicon Unlimited and the H3. Both have their pros and cons. Both offer a couple items that my truck doesn’t have: 1) 4:1 transfer case (even more power off-road), 2) more articulation, 3) lockers (H3 rear locker; Rubicon front & rear). All three vehicles are almost the same length and width. Track width is also within 3 inches of each other. All three have almost the same payload capacity, with the H3 having the least. All three have almost the same turning radius and approach angle. Believe it or not, the Montero actually has the best approach angle and shortest wheelbase of all three, but at a price; it has the worst departure angle of all three at only 25 degrees vs. around 37-40 for the other two. Also, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get a locker for the rear axle. It’s got a great LSD, and I’ve heard from other owners that the ARB front locker in combination with this hybrid LSD is a great combination. So, I can at least add the front locker at a later point.

The H3: On the plus side: quite a bit of clearance stock. 33” tires; same bolt pattern as my current wheels (these may just fit the trailer without having to buy new wheels and hubs, etc.) Good skid plate/ underbelly protection standard or available. Sliders available too. ARB bumper for the front is available too. It has the comfort and style (almost as comfortable as my current truck) and it has the V8. Towing capacity is slightly more than the Montero at 6000lbs. (vs. 5000lbs.), and power to weight ratio is the best of the three. Price right now is great. I can get one here with just about all the options for around $31K.

Cons: it’s a bit heavier than my vehicle (only by 370lbs) and the cargo space behind the middle row is the smallest of these three vehicles. I don’t like the short windows, but I could learn to live with those. Limited 3rd party support, and GM may look to discontinue it and or sell off the subsidiary.

The Rubicon:
Pros: Unlimited 3rd party support; bumpers/sliders/skid plates/etc. all available. Lift kits galore. Cargo space is actually adequate. This vehicle sacrifices rear seat legroom for more cargo space (the exact opposite of the H3). I can live with this and would actually prefer the cargo space. In contrast, the Montero actually has more legroom than the Jeep and has as much or more cargo space. Go figure. This vehicle is slightly lighter than the Montero (4340 vs. 4675 for mine and 5143 for the H3). Comes stock with 32” BFG MT’s. I bet this is plenty for what I need to do, especially since it has better articulation than what I’m used to. Again, the 4:1 transfer case will be great off-road and pulling the trailer while offroad. The 6-speed manual seems to have some great gear ratios too for compensating for the small engine (not so for the 4-speed A/T—see below).

Cons: It has practically the same engine. V6 with approx 200HP and 235-240 ft/lbs torque. So, I wouldn’t be getting an upgrade in power. Not as comfortable and not as refined. I didn’t care for a lot of the plastic interior. Kind of seemed cheap for a $34K vehicle. Some may call this a plus, since it’s more back to basics. On highway, it seemed to walk on me a little at highway speeds. I’ve only test driven one yesterday; so, this one could have been out of alignment or something strange. The 4-speed automatic doesn’t seem to offer as much power as my 5 speed does. Comparing gear ratios amongst all three vehicles, including the 6-speed offered for this model, the 4-speed has the least powerful ratios.

So, I’ve put together a spreadsheet that I hope will help. I’m looking for guidance on how much importance to place on the different drive ratios when comparing the vehicles. Comparing the Jeep to the Montero, since they almost weigh the same and have about the same engine, this seemed like the best way to judge which vehicle would work best for me in terms of pulling the trailer and climbing steep grades.
A few surprises I found: the Jeep with the 4-speed A/T had the worst ratios for 1st and 2nd gear for highway use; the H3 not far behind it, but it has the V8. The Jeep with the 6 speed had the best for off-road, much better than its 4-speed brother. And for on-highway use, it was the Montero that had the best ratios if I re-gear to 4.9’s and practically the same as the Jeep with the 4-speed if I were to stay at my current 4.3 R&P gears.

So, a couple assumptions to cover:

1) All vehicles have either 32” or 33” tires. So, I made no attempt to adjust for the difference. I’m assuming that these are close enough to call them equal.
2) Drive ratio formulas:
a. For 4-low: diff x transmission gear x transfer case
b. For high: diff x transmission gear

So, I’m grateful for any input you could provide. Let’s not get into a match of which vehicle is better. However, if there are some important items that I’ve missed, like a benefit or feature of a particular vehicle that you think would be important to mention, I’d like to hear it.

Thanks to any and all who take the time to read at least ½ of this and offer a suggestion.

Cheers, :beer:

Tony

toyrunner95

Explorer
well i read most of the post. and i think i get the picture. you are wondering if you should get something with more power or re gear. well, most off road jeeps run 4.10 gears, or at least the rubicons.

honestly i would say spring for the jeep. the H3 is built on a colorado frame, and neither have much aftermarket support as you said. the jeep has alot more options and the prices for upgrades are alot cheaper. over all it would peobably even out. you sink money into the h3 to get it then spend more in custom mods or build them. if you get the jeep which would be cheaper in mods but higher in inital cost. (i think)

either way, i dont think you car is worth regearing. it woud probably lower the resale value. anyway, spring for the jeep, put a 2" suspension lift on it ($800), slap on some 33bfg (bout $160 a tire and you should match the trailer size tires) mudders and you are golden. all you need now is a winch bumper for the front, (anywhere from $200 to $1500) a winch (500 for a warm m8k) and a hitch (probably already has one)

good luck.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Tony, that is a hard question. The first question is whether you can comfortably get what you need by injecting a couple thousand dollars into the Montero or whether you want to start from scratch, and all the pros and cons that go with it. If it is just going to be a band-aid, it may be time for something else. However, given the time and effort you have in the Montero, I would be inclined to gamble on new gears *if* you are happy with everything else about it.

I've been wanting a 4-door Rubicon since they were announced and I love the concept of the Freedom top. If you do some searching on Jeep forums, everyone complains about the lack of power from the 3.8 v6. My guess is it is not total power, but rather the power band is higher up than many people like.

Send a PM to Chris Marzonie and see what he thought about the Jeep's ability to pull the trailers for the OJ test.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Tony, that is a hard question. The first question is whether you can comfortably get what you need by injecting a couple thousand dollars into the Montero or whether you want to start from scratch, and all the pros and cons that go with it. If it is just going to be a band-aid, it may be time for something else. However, given the time and effort you have in the Montero, I would be inclined to gamble on new gears *if* you are happy with everything else about it.

I've been wanting a 4-door Rubicon since they were announced and I love the concept of the Freedom top. If you do some searching on Jeep forums, everyone complains about the lack of power from the 3.8 v6. My guess is it is not total power, but rather the power band is higher up than many people like.

Send a PM to Chris Marzonie and see what he thought about the Jeep's ability to pull the trailers for the OJ test.

Bill, thanks so much for the reply. I forgot that they used the JK to pull the trailers--that's an excellent point. I'll contact Chris.

Also, I do have a ton of work already done on this vehicle. If the gears work for me and I can sort out a little more lift (especially the rear suspension), then I think I'd be happy as a clam. I already have so much in this and the thought of having to start over, plus the financial impact that would mean, is not so appealing.

Thanks again for the help!

TD

durango_60

Explorer
I pull my heavily laden M101 with my JK all the time and have no complaints about lack of power off road. On road is another story, climbing passes at 10-11k feet really puts a strain on the 3.8 and I'm usually in third gear just to maintain speed.

The Jeep will be second to none off road in stock form, but it leaves a lot to be desired on the way to the trail. Personally I like the no frills interior, but I do wish they had used better quality, more durable plastics. I'm sure the Hummer would be a great vehicle, but I just couldn't bring myself to even consider it due to the "Hummer" image, maybe I just don't have the self confidence... I would however strongly consider a V8 4runner for your needs.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I think you're absolutely right about the capability of the JK off-road. That was certainly the appeal for me. No upgrade on the engine, but 4:1 transfer case, articulation, etc. certainly would be an upgrade for me. So, off-road, I wasn't concerned about it at all. On-highway though, my truck with the current gears surpasses the automatic transmission of the JK, but I would need to regear to the 4.9's to match the JK with the manual transmission (see spreadsheet if you're interested). I couldn't believe the 73:1 crawl ratio of the JK in first gear/ 4-low with the 6-speed manual. That's double what I would have even after the re-gear.

Thank you for the recommendation regarding the 4-runner. I will look into it. I could even find a decent price used, I'm sure. I certainly have enjoyed getting to see Redline's 4-runner build up and how he drives it in person.

The V8 would certainly be nice. He just regeard to 4.88's, though, to compensate for the trailer and 33" tires. So, I'd probably need to factor that into the end price too.

haven

Expedition Leader
While the Jeep is good in many ways, it may not solve the Montero's primary problem -- down on power at high altitudes. You can solve this equation with an injection of cubic inches (the H3), a supercharged gas engine, or a turbo diesel.

In addition to new vehicles, maybe you should also look at used vehicles that are built in the expedition style as a replacement for your Montero.

Something like this Land Cruiser might do:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17443

Using the funds from the sale of the Monteo, you can supercharge the Land Cruiser!

Chip Haven

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
haven said:
While the Jeep is good in many ways, it may not solve the Montero's primary problem -- down on power at high altitudes. You can solve this equation with an injection of cubic inches (the H3), a supercharged gas engine, or a turbo diesel.

In addition to new vehicles, maybe you should also look at used vehicles that are built in the expedition style as a replacement for your Montero.

Something like this Land Cruiser might do:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17443

Using the funds from the sale of the Monteo, you can supercharge the Land Cruiser!

Chip Haven

Thanks, Chip. I was actually looking at that one last night. That is a nice looking rig and is close (by TX standards) to me. You don't happen to know whether the 97's need to have the head gasket done (like other 80 series), do you? I do like the lower end torque that the straight six could offer me.

DBS311

Adventurer
The '93-'97's all have the same head gasket.

One thing to consider is if you NEED the extra 10% of off-roading ability that the Jeep will give you over the H3. If not, then I'd take the V8 over that V6 any day of the week regardless of what the ratio numbers add up to. I was used to driving my I6 FJ62 and V6 Xterra for road trips, and when I got my 100 series I couldn't believe how satisfying it was flying up the mountain climbs. Forget worrying about moving over to the far right lane with hazards on, or flooring it to make an attempt at maintaining speed.........now I'm accelerating up the long climbs if I want to. The V8 is worth it. Only thing that would change my mind is if a turbodiesel was available on any of the platforms, which isn't happening right now.

Another positive of the H3 is the factory 33" tires with plenty of room for larger. No need to buy a lift kit. Couple that with the 4:1 t-case, available front and rear lockers (for '09), available factory sliders and underbelly protection, and you don't need to buy anything aftermarket at all (unless you want the ARB bumper and snorkel). Who cares if you don't have 50 different suspension companies making kits when you don't even need one in the first place?

I take it that because you already own a 3rd gen Montero, you might be the type that likes to own something "different". If you want to build up something unique for this hobby of ours, go for the Hummer!

But then again, that JK's top does come off......................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998