Help! What do you think about this KLR?

rcintx

Adventurer
I have been trying to sell my cruiser (Honda Shadow 1100) with the intentions of buying a dual sport or paying off my truck. I was planning on making up my mind when I sold the bike. I have my first little one on the way, and thought maybe I should get out of the bike world. I can't make up my mind.

The bike has been for sale for two months and I have not had much interest. There does not seem to be much of a bike market in my area.

Today I found a 2007 KLR 650 at a dealership and worked a deal for even trade. I will be out about $100 after dealer fees and registration.

What do you guys think of this bike? I have never ridden a KLR (and this one is 4 hours away), but I think it may be worth the drive.

Help me decide.

2007 KLR 650, 9300 miles, fluids serviced, and everything else promised to be in great shape. Note the "custom" paint job the previous owner did.

outsidebikes017.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Interesting paint job; might be kind of cool in real life.

KLRs are great, well-loved and they have incredible owner and aftermarket support. The raps against them are that they are somewhat mechanically unsophisticated (no surprise since a 2007 is little different from a 1987) and that they are significantly heavier than more dirt-oriented dual-purpose bikes. Generally considered a heck of a value, as even new ones can be had for about $5K.

They're not hard to find around, so there might be one closer than 4 hours away for you to sit on to make up your own mind about the weight and seat height.

You can find several internet forums with considerable KLR coverage, http://www.klrforum.com being the most obvious.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Heavy duty skid/bash plate plus the armor and bag mounts! Very nice.
I like the paint job.

Looks like a winner to me depending on the price and condition. Heck if it's worth it to you then it's a good deal. Plus you get to do a straight trade with just a small cash bump.

Go for it!

rcintx

Adventurer
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I have sat on a KLR before, and they are tall, but I don't feel uncomfortable on it. I think it will work for me.

I have search the KLR forums and their is a ton of information out there, but what can I say, I respect the opinions of this board!

Thanks again! I will let you all know what I end up doing.

Happy Trails.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Get one... Soon it will take you places like this.
IMG_1263.JPG

And you will see sights like this...

IMG_1264.JPG

and you will not have to share the view... unless you choose to.

Coop

hyperboarder

Adventurer
You should ask if the "doohickey" has been fixed (most common problem on these). I can't see pics, but from the sounds of it, it's a good one. IMO they boogered these up in 08 (just traded my 08 away, it had it's share of issues), so 07 is the year to get. Good luck!

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Yeah, find out about the doohickey (cam chain tensioner). If it's not been swapped for Eagle Mikes aftermarket, at least know that it's functioning properly as they can kill an engine if they fail.

I'm painting mine the same sand tan color, but only because mine has/had rought faded OD green plastic. The crash bars, rear rack and bash plate would be around $400 worth of add ons. You could try posting a pic on klr650.net and ask if the original owner is online and can tell you about the doo. I'm sure I've seen this bike posted there (with the serial number thingy on the tank and the "TP21" on the front fender- that's Tire Pressure, 21 psi.)

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
You got a kid on the way???

Sell the Honda, pay off the truck. Keep yourself outta debt.

The KLRs are incredible rigs and they aren't going away. Take care of the family for now.

dale, the old fart

rcintx

Adventurer
Dale, the old fart,

That is exactly what I did. Ironically, not trading for the KLR was one of the smartest thing I have ever done. June went something like this.

I sold the Cruiser.
Two days later my house AC went out, and had to be replaced. (just about the same as what i sold the bike for.)
1 day after that my son was born 5 weeks early (and its 85 -90 degrees in my house)
10 days later he comes home from NICU.

I haven't had a penny ever since, and I am loving every minute of it. I will have a KLR someday, but not right now. I have to take care the family right now.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Good for you!

Always care for your family and circle of friends first. Everything else is just window dressing. I guarantee you that the bike you need will show up, maybe not immediately, but it will be there when you are ready.

Have fun with your new son. Mine is almost 32 years old now, and I can still remember the day he was born. Bikes don't give you hugs and love.

Dale, the Old Fart :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior