Help with a '99 Cherokee

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Hey guys -
I've got a friend who bought a '99 Cherokee new off the lot 10 years and 132k miles ago, and the truck could use a little refreshing. He doesn't know much of anything about vehicles, and I don't know much about working on his Jeep (hey - I'm still learning on my own truck), so I'm consulting the experts.:sombrero:

Suspension needs a rework - I think I could probably handle this job, but I could use some resources. Where should I look for parts? I'm thinking someone's good-stock-springs-that-were-replaced-with-lift-springs-and-are-sitting-in-a-garage is the budget we're looking at. Any recommendations on shocks? I doubt his truck will see much dirt.

He's also got his front windows currently being held up by door wedges - pretty cool trick, but fixing 'em would be better. Any suggestions here would be great.

I'm gonna leave it there for now, and I expect I will have more questions later. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

-cayce

mudbutt

Explorer
Well........

I have a '98 XJ.......

Item 1) I have a brand new lift kit in my garage waiting to be put on. It won't be a couple of weeks, so if you're not in a hurry you can have my stock rusted springs (79,000 miles on them, you pay for shipping).....

Item 2) Cherokee's are notorious for busting the spring anchor on the window regulators....

Here is a web page for the cheap fix (I am in no way affiliated with these people...) http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp12001.html

However it is not always the spring anchor that breaks.... I just replaced a regulator because the plastic tube that acts as the "track" that the spring runs in broke off of the regulator channel... As far as I know there is no fix for that other than total replacement......

Good luck..... PM me if you want the leafs....

booger

Observer
i'm running their 4" kit on my TJ and it rides like it did stock.

i think all of the rough ride comments come from people with too much air in their tires or the crazy idea that their Jeep is a Cadillac.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
My offroad shop recommends the 3.5 Rubicon Express kit if you're lifting. But you want stock ride. Are there any junkyards out by you?

I can't help with the windows...never taken mine apart. I have a 1996 and 1997 XJ.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the help so far. I expect I might have more questions once I help him tear into the project.
mudbutt, I'll shoot you a pm about the springs - that's just what he's looking for.
-cayce

XJTony

I have a cheaper way to fix the windows. Where the worm screw attaches to the bracket, clean up some of the leftover plastic and drill two holes. 2 small cotter pins go around the wormscrew and through the holes to secure it to the bracket. Only cost a few dollars and is stronger than it was when if left the factory. 2 of my windows have been fixed like this for 6 or seven years now. If you look on ebay you can normaly find set of new shocks for around $100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78