Help with first build for my 2011 Tundra

crhawkeye

Hi. So I'm looking at building out my stock 2011 Tundra double cab (5.7 4x4) to be able to handle:

1) About 1000ish on payload with a tufport t62 (575lbs) https://tufport.com/adventure/ , plus all my other stuff, I'm guessing. (truck's payload is 1750)
2) Will likely add a relatively heavy front bumper -- probably ARB summit, largely for animal protection.
3) Will at times perhaps pull a lightweight trailer. (low tongue weight)

Uses:
1) Lots of paved highway travel across the country.
2) Some offroad work out west in the mountains of Colorado & etc. Need to be able to get down moderate rough mountain roads. (see: 14er approach roads & etc)
3) Some towing.
4) Looking for functionality and reliability, not giant tires & a lift because it "looks cool"

Pricing / labor:
1) Likely not doing much of this myself -- no garage or experience -- so looking to have package sent to a garage that does this sort of work.
2) I'm not looking at top of the line, but not cheap either. From what I'm seeing, it seems I should be able to get a capable suspension package under 2k or thereabouts.

My big questions are:
1) What suspension setup to go with to support this? There are millions of options. I've been looking at old man emu (OME), though, and lean that direction.
-- If I go this direction... what OME components are right for me? (Should I just work with someone like https://www.toyteclifts.com/ to put together what I need)
-- I don't need a lot more clearance, an inch, maybe two is OK. Big purpose here is handling the added weight comfortably and safely.
2) Do I need to go with a different quality of tire? (have been rolling with regular offroad tires)
3) What other components or part upgrades might I need to worry about besides the suspension upgrade?

Thanks

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Since you're predicting approximately 1,000lbs of constant weight, you should consider pulling the trigger on some Deaver springs in the rear. I think you'd be looking at the stage 3 springs for that weight range. Mate these with some quality shocks and coil/overs up front for a nice ride when laden.

LT tires should be considered, and perhaps an E load rating. You may even desire a 3 ply sidewall to stiffen it up a bit.

Cheers

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
2017 Tundra owner here;

1. You're going to be carrying a lot of weight all the time, I would look into a custom pack. OME makes nice stuff, their medium kit gets close to your proposed weight and I imagine you would need the extra leaf (PN D28XL) to get it up to a "heavy" weight rating. But I'm not sure that would be enough. Some really good shocks are going to be needed to control the weight as well. Deaver, Atlas, and Alcan all come to mind. I run Deaver 748's with an extra leaf and ADS shocks, they control my weight well enough.

2. What do you mean by regular off road tires? Load range D, or E may be in your future. Depending on size, and what tires you're looking at, paying attention to their weight rating will be important. i run a light weight camper, skids, sliders etc....and I still run load range C BFG k02s, and I'm well within their rating and capabilities.

3. People talk about brakes on these trucks as they get heavy. Mine is heavier than stock, but still under max GVWR, and i find them sufficient with quality, off the shelf pads and rotors.

phsycle

Adventurer
Are you sure about the payload number? Brochure number is usually way different than actual. Look in your drivers door jamb. There should be a sticker with the payload number.

1705441011499.png

joshjan

I have a 2011, just crossed 200k with a ton of road trips, off road, and lots of towing. . I have an ome lift and arb bumper in the front and I’m happy. I still have the stock upper control arms and alignment numbers are great.
I have the stock leaves and a longer shackle in the back. I’d suggest a custom leaf pack.
I have run 35 inch tires all along but I think I’d suggest 33s if I had that much weight in the bed all of the time. You’ll still be able to hold 6th gear with that and mpg will be slightly better.

crhawkeye

Are you sure about the payload number? Brochure number is usually way different than actual. Look in your drivers door jamb. There should be a sticker with the payload number.

View attachment 815506
Fair enough. My door jamb says the same basically. Need to read a bit more, but assume this is the payload number that would include all weight added on past stock.

Will say that out of the thousand I imagined it's going to be distributed around the vehicle a bit:

In the bed:
- 575lb fiberglass unit.
- Lithium batteries
- Rooftop AC unit
- Diesel heater
- Lightweight oddball gear

Cab:
- DC fridge
- Small generator
- Passenger
- Lightweight oddball gear

Front of vehicle:
- ARB Summit bumper

V1GiLaNtE

Most folks have been quite happy with the 6112/5160 combo. I'd say a new leaf pack suited for your weight and you should be good to go.
I'm running the 6112/5160 on the 2nd highest setting with stock UCA and the Icon stage 3 leaf packs. I'd say I have about 550lbs out back all the time between my LP camper, full size spare (~34"), and bike rack. It does sit a bit higher in the rear, but knowing that when I would truly load it all down for a full trip (gear, fridge, bike tools, +bikes) it should ride/look great.

I do a whole bunch of highway miles with offroad dirt running.
ABLVV84bmd8pDoYIXSlfHxWuGpbwxj0N1HxuZFNs-NGPbd4S070m4TbZktN2v2Br6vh_QxFaC45zbuzR3_LyczT2atb4OdeByK_qduvUqtqbCsBJ_Ukd9Xm-CHJhmG3lTdpwhPgDUf5dV1V-qhu_ZPgGvWCPdGW7Ag_uB6RebeljjcZFINMHb9FSaqeRUPWbrpNcJzCJhnFNeJMX9YJYmGzp4Gy6x2LU_Y4S85cEg8NQnjmzcMKL9SdceKdj_MKQtyEpu45BQqnlElTf0ifO5wh5K8nLv6KqYguPmiSSMWIE5LXj9oPaUc54haobG64SJkyRWqaq6Sygit9VDIMGnMyUOcBqnXO1n3jOWdPQ71Cd_vToNmKkM2bHsVQ4fcdTnb4FItQzWBMsbsoQlmERRYUb-IxA59jF9TWVjEzB9C8r4Gt7TaGoghw2cMl1Bgpp9YQUdhUlnZxpxVh0EU5_Pm4Oqp4V-679jyWasAR6y3WsrazfAMecAaxZURMlMPWOnpn3mYCaTbzCPZhwzjkWpbJaR-UZ-Tmd6p5n9Kam2zttna_KBLMnihbTz7cYzTcQVxMd5iqm7RUBVbNZ__MdvScyvG8m6L9S-xN4Ln_9gTu2kaMwqvLIOJ5TkPm8kCr37wQfbDfsAg1-eNdJecRhsalikzR-6LTguVJS1Dp0fPcKnGtKF1aAe-nEDSQTD9fZ6JvEHnSpHVsAH5uxHNvnn0nUgiDM8syTRL7oYx2KU_4xRbe9n8IJk-g4j_jq9tYb-EDN2hASh0jQWSeiSTb3Zxer6cHi2Qw66xb_DWQZccnfhAV7pULcEVYYkJqJJAvUvGDNAgl3qgaWMQUEX6ZHCwGPQ64iBPQknld1r0Q1Sqozk_5y215J8iH0hahLhhNh9kWOPOLEndfFrqTxYOLrcsqsCUX0JA=w1279-h959-s-no-gm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior