Help with settings on Victron MPPT charge controller

Hello all
After a lot of research and getting feedback here, I ended up going with a Genesis dual battery system and installed a solar charge controller (Victron MPPT 75/15 with Bluetooth) to use with a Renogy 100w suitcase solar panel. I plan to use the solar to keep the batteries topped off when sitting in one place more than a few days. I wasn't able to find anything definitive on how to set the charge controller. Not sure if the screenshot of the app will come out below but here's what you can adjust:
Max charge Current
Absorption voltage
Maximum absorption
Float voltage
Equalization voltage
Bulk Charge voltage
Absorption time

I am charging Odyssey 34-PC1500T batteries and just want to make sure I set this up right to avoid killing the batteries or reducing their life.
Thanks in advance
Screenshot 2018-06-07 at 8.39.04 PM.png

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Thats a 68ah battery... should be easy to charge with just 100wts.
But what I can't find is the charging profile for it.
You'll need to get those and use to setup the SCC.

Why did you get a starting battery for house duties?

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Odyssey is fantastic, great documentation and tech support.

Get the charge profile from them

Absorb V

Float V

trailing endAmps setpoint for the transition timing

___
Try not to draw below 50% SoC too often, and 20-30% only in an energency. An AH counting meter can help with that.

Bottom line is you have to put back in 115% of what you take out, if not every day, at least averaged out over 2-3 days.

You really need an ammeter of some sort to tune the SC setpoints accirding to your usage patterns.

Do you have a suitable mains charger for when you have access to shore power? That will greatly help longevity.

You really want to get to 100% Full at least a few times per week, and high-amps charging as often as possible.

Alt charging while driving can help too, but need fat wiring for that.

Thanks for all the replies

It is in a 2007 Jeep Jk. I bought the Genesis dual battery setup and (x2) odyssey 34-PC1500T as that was the standard setup I saw almost everyone running when I did my research.

I'm not at all electrical, wiring, or solar literate. I tried to find the charging profile and couldn't in either the manual that came with the battery or Odyssey's website. Hoping someone can explain this to me in laymans terms.

Thanks!

To add: I thought the alternator would be able to keep the batteries charged up as it's my daily driver and I would use the solar to keep them charged when stationary. Will I need to hook up to a legitimate battery charger once a week or so to maintain these?

Here's what I came up with after reading the tech specs.
Max current charge 14.9 (max is 15 but thought it would be better off lower)
absorption voltage 14.7
max absorption time 6-8h
float voltage 13.6

Which all seems to line up with the preset I found in there for an AGM battery.
The preset profile shows 13a and float voltage of 13.8
Should I adjust those to my findings? Also theirs an equalization voltage and automatic equalization. Not sure what that is.

john61ct

Adventurer
The voltage is fine, but do check as weather varies that temperature compensation is working.

Is the SC right at the bank?

john61ct

Adventurer
If you get the ability to measure actual amps going into the bank (not what SC is outputting), you should verify what that usually is when the SC drops to Float.

You may need to adjust the Absorb time to make sure you're getting to 100% Full at least a few times per week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12