HELP WITH TIRE? FORD 1991 7.3 DIESEL WITH CAMPER

csthier

Hi all,
I am new to the group and my first time posting on a forum. Have always been the lurker. Need some serious tire recommendations. Here is what I am diving now 1991 Ford crew cab 8' bed with the 7.3 diesel stock with a soft sided camper with a dry wt of 1266 lb. Maybe I should have a CDL to drive this Rig. Haha. Also be included is we are a family of 4 so add some weight for everyones ****. Living in Bend Or so trips to the Alford desert or the coast and ski trips so snow.
Currently the truck has a 255/85R16 I like the reduced side wall pizza cutter look but I was told a 285/75R16 would give me more weight ability. Thoughts?? In the future I may have a trailer housing our BMW 650's X2 Thanks for the help. Cheers Chris

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's a good compromise tire. Just be certain it's E-rated.
I ran BFG and Bridgestone in that size with lousy luck and have changed to Toyo in my last truck and the present one. No issues.
Changing a tire on these big ******** trucks is a chore.
A three ply sidewall is peace of mind.

Last edited:

rlyoung112

I'm on my second set of General Grabber AT2's in the 265/75/16 flavor. They're on my 04 F350 that weighs in a touch under 8k empty. I've had zero issues with them while unloaded or towing my 5th wheel.

As far as a higher weight rating with a 285 I believe that's a myth. My 265's are E rated, and I think the same tire in a 285 is only D rated. This is probably GT specific as I just did a little research and it seems the other big name all terrains have E rated in both sizes with very similar weight ratings. If you have your eye on a specific tire, go to tirerack.com and compare the different sizes. Max load per tire is listed under the "specifications" section.

Anyway, for the price of the General AT's I can get online, I've been very impressed. I live in the southwest, so plenty of desert exploring, monsoon rains, and towing quite a heavy 5er and I have no complaints.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Explorer
91 Ford cc diesel with camper?? Hey me too :coffeedrink: I really liked my 255/85 BFG KO2's however earlier this spring I was on a trip to central Utah and one developed a massive bulge (for whatever reason). I called all over trying to find another 255 to replace my bad one. Yup I wasn't surprised to find nobody had one in stock---and I was also informed they were discontinued :rolleyes:

I ended up buying a full set of 285/75E's (KO2's) and haven't looked back. Not sure on load rating/weight carrying differences. My 255's and current 285's have an E-rating.. I will say the 285's seem to handle better on the highway although that could be my imagination. For me it is nice knowing nearly every shop around has a 285 in stock.

Last edited:

snowaddict91

Adventurer
91 Ford cc diesel with camper?? Hey me too :coffeedrink: I really liked my 255/85 BFG KO2's however earlier this spring I was on a trip to central Utah and one developed a massive bulge (for whatever reason). I called all over trying to find another 255 to replace my bad one. Yup I wasn't surprised to find nobody had one in stock---and I was also informed they were discontinued :rolleyes:

I ended up buying a full set of 285/75E's (KO2's) and haven't looked back. Not sure on load rating/weight carrying differences. My 255's and current 285's have an E-rating.. I will say the 285's seem to handle better on the highway although that could be my imagination. For me it is nice knowing nearly every shop around has a 285 in stock.

Availability was a big reason I went with 285s over 255s on my Powerstroke. I also found that the wider 285s feel better on the highway than my old 235s, but I've never ran 255s to compare.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm on my second set of General Grabber AT2's in the 265/75/16 flavor. They're on my 04 F350 that weighs in a touch under 8k empty. I've had zero issues with them while unloaded or towing my 5th wheel.

As far as a higher weight rating with a 285 I believe that's a myth. My 265's are E rated, and I think the same tire in a 285 is only D rated. This is probably GT specific as I just did a little research and it seems the other big name all terrains have E rated in both sizes with very similar weight ratings. If you have your eye on a specific tire, go to tirerack.com and compare the different sizes. Max load per tire is listed under the "specifications" section.

Anyway, for the price of the General AT's I can get online, I've been very impressed. I live in the southwest, so plenty of desert exploring, monsoon rains, and towing quite a heavy 5er and I have no complaints.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

285's come in D and E rating.
Two and three plys also.

Last edited:

eggman918

Adventurer
I'm running Cooper ST maxx's in 295-70/17 on my '68 highboy Crewcab no camper but it tips the scale at 8,000# before I start loading it and have ~15,000 miles so far on them I an very happy with them they are fairly quiet and have little sign of wear at this point I am running them at 55psi front and 50 rear drives like a dream on the highway and traction here in N. AZ. between the snow and mud of the monsoons has been outstanding best tire I have ran in the 25 years I've owned this truck!
Will buy them again.

bfdiesel

Explorer
265/75r16. Good towing tire and everyone has one. 255/85 are awesome, but hard to find. With what you haul it sounds like any e rated tire will be fine. I have seen a set of d rated 285's blow up in the yard on my cclb. One was bubbling and the other had blown sitting in storage when I bought it. Only the front ones.....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I really liked my 255/85 BFG KO2's however earlier this spring I was on a trip to central Utah and one developed a massive bulge (for whatever reason).

Interesting.

The last set of BFGs (255/85r16), that I had on my truck ('99 Dodge 3/4 ton, Cummins, FWC) had 3 sidewall failures - all fitting the general "massive bulge" description. Due to the ongoing failures & relatively short tread life, I gave up on BFG.

Again.

*edit to add: Those were KM2s.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I'm running Cooper ST maxx's in 295-70/17 on my '68 highboy Crewcab no camper but it tips the scale at 8,000# before I start loading it and have ~15,000 miles so far on them I an very happy with them they are fairly quiet and have little sign of wear at this point I am running them at 55psi front and 50 rear drives like a dream on the highway and traction here in N. AZ. between the snow and mud of the monsoons has been outstanding best tire I have ran in the 25 years I've owned this truck!
Will buy them again.

I am running the same tire 03 Cummins with a 4wheel camper. So far they seem great. Good traction off road and minimal noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78