Helper springs for the leafs?

I did some searching, but nothing specific was coming up....

What's the thinking about adding helper springs to a set of rear leafs?
I'd like to be able to retain a comfortable ride, but still have the added weight carrying capacity when I need it. How does a set of helper springs affect suspension travel? I imagine that it would limit your full travel amount.

How does a set of air bags differ from helper springs? I think I know the answer to this, in that it's an adjustable system, am I on the right track?

patrolman

Observer
I added stock TJ rear coils to the rear of my 4Runner. They go directly over the existing leaf springs, no hardware required. Just an angle grinder to take off a bit of the coil, then it pops right in. Adds a smoother ride, about 1-2" of lift, and more carrying capacity. I still have no problem stuffing a wheel completely in the fender to full compression, but I have a fair amount of weight on my rig. Best thing is, it is free if you can find a TJ that got a lift, retains all the factory parts, and is about 30 minutes of work.

czenkov

Adventurer
I have heard of Tundra helpers being used. Local Cruiser shop has tried different setups and believes he has found one that works. Not sure of etiquette mentioning a business that is not the one sponsoring this section of forum. PM me for the name.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I agree, I have used Firestone Air Bags in the past and I'm planning on installing them on my current truck within the next few months.

zidaro

Explorer
By adding leafs you can increase your load carrying ability. depending on what type of leafs you add and how many will determine the load and ride the springs will carry and have. Typically OEM spring packs have thick leafs with only a couple in the pack and then a load leaf that only engages at a certain sag in the arched pack. that way the vehicle has a nice ride and will keep a heavy load off the bumps. It still inhibits smooth travel at full compression though.
Custom springs- like Deavers, National Spring, Alcan all remove the load leaf in their leaf packs. they use thinner springs and many more of them in the pack to have a smoother more progressive flex and by having more it allows loads to still be carried or big hits to be absorbed.
Adding a few leafs to your main OEM leafpack or changing the # and thickness of leafs can have any effect you wish. LOTS of people make custom packs. Toyota happens to use the same width springs in all their vehicles so you can blend any model springs together to get the flex effect you want.

I have 85 mini leafs in my '10 Tundra leafpack to get the ride i wanted. I also used a mini leafpack from ICON in them. They give a great ride and a small lift using much thinner leafs than OEM but i now have many more leafs than stock pack. In addition, i carry my slide-in camper and chose to add airbags to handle the extra weight.

Airbags, if they allow full travel, carry weight when inflated and allow the springs to perform as designed when they have no air in them. some companies with airbag kits require a 5# minimum in the bag at all times to keep it from collapsing. some bags have bumpstops built into them, some have extended travel capabilities. Lots of airbag companies around and they have systems for anything- designs all come from the lowrider scene and are being used far beyond our loadcarrying demands.

lots of rambling here, hope some of it helps answer your questions.

check out my '10 TundraCrewmax build on here for the spring/airbag setup i am using if you care.

OnTheTrail

Observer
I installed a set of Hellwig helper springs on my Tacoma. They have kept my truck from hitting the bumpstops as easily.

The ride is not bad. I like them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears