HEMA Explorer North America

1Louder

Explorer
What is the percentage bar? The bottom row of info there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope look at the top left of the image. Where you see the 2 map layers. On the 2nd one there is a scrolling bar. Layers gives you the ability to blend different map types together. So if you wanted a topo map as a layer and then Google Satellite images as another you could make the 2nd one show 0%-100%... I will upload another image to show a real example.

26998941610_f1d59b0517_b.jpg

1Louder

Explorer
USFS Raster Only:
28983361100_1fb5f7e72a_b.jpg

Google Only:

28983357670_47c4c0a330_b.jpg

Using Layers (Google at about 40%):

28983353060_3e10095437_b.jpg

In reality I don't use them that often as percentages. I usually just have the preferred layers downloaded and then go 100% to a given layer as required. Some people love this feature. To others it is less important. Point being Layers are not working properly in Hema at the moment.

96r50

Observer

In reality I don't use them that often as percentages. I usually just have the preferred layers downloaded and then go 100% to a given layer as required. Some people love this feature. To others it is less important. Point being Layers are not working properly in Hema at the moment.

Thanks for the explanation! I (only) have Gaia at the moment so I'll have to try that out. Hopefully HEMA can get that fixed.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Hi :)
I'm currently working on a tutorial video showing how layers work in the Hema app. The layers work as expected, and yes, the percentage slider is not there in Hema Explorer. This feature was removed mainly because A) Most people (in our limited tests) don't use it, a B) It caused many bugs & unfavorable performance issues, especially in lower-end Android devices that don't process maps very well.

The short answer on using layers:
"Active" layers will try to 'load' or 'cache' all the tiles for active layers into the map. ONLY the top layer will show if the tiles for that layer & zoom are loaded (either from the device or from the cloud). The way I use active layers is this:
I load 2 or 3 layers into the active area, and quickly switch between them for route planning, since no single layer has all the data I need.
When I'm tracking, I generally only keep 1 layer active. This results in better performance and I hardly ever see missing tiles since I always download & verify my tile downloads before leaving data service.

"Available" layers are just that...layers that can be added to the active menu. If a layer is in the "Available" area, the system will not try to load/cache tiles for that layer.

I hope this helps...it's not confusing for the thousands of people new to the platform, but for those that are used to having the percentage slider, it can take a little getting used to :)

1Louder

Explorer
I guess my argument would be that those are not layers then and just available maps in a different location. You are correct coming from Gaia it is very confusing and even if it wasn't see answer #1. Glad you are working on a tutorial.

Roger M.

Adventurer
After reading this entire thread more than a few times, I'm unclear on what the compelling reason would be to purchase the "new" HEMA Explorer app over the "mature" GAIA app?

Probably an easy question to answer when speaking of two completely different apps, but from what I can deduce reading this thread HEMA and GAIA are essentially the same code, if not the same app?

1Louder

Explorer
After reading this entire thread more than a few times, I'm unclear on what the compelling reason would be to purchase the "new" HEMA Explorer app over the "mature" GAIA app?

Probably an easy question to answer when speaking of two completely different apps, but from what I can deduce reading this thread HEMA and GAIA are essentially the same code, if not the same app?

Today true, tomorrow maybe not. The Hema app is a port of the Gaia code for sure. The Hema street maps are really nice but I don't use these apps for paved roads. It looked like Hema was including the feature of layers for free where Gaia requires a annual Pro subscription for that. The way it is implemented and explained as ,that's how it is supposed to work, well if you like the way Gaia does layers don't get the Hema app. If you don't need layers as percentages then the base Gaia app does the same thing as Hema. You would pick the maps you want for an area and then download them in a group for offline use. When need you would just switch the top layer. The "automatic" routing feature in the Hema was some what unique but Gaia just did an update and its version is much improved. I'm sticking with Gaia but I know the userbase of the Hema app will continue to grow because of their name recognition.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor

I understand your thought to hold off, especially if you already have Gaia. While I can't get into specifics regarding code, I can assure you that the current versions of Gaia and Hema are NOT using the same code.

In the near future (I have no control over when), you'll see much more of a divergence with Hema Explorer. There will be additional layers included without extra charge, and Hema is known for building the best 4x4 basemaps on the planet. While they won't be able to drive every single track like they do in AU, don't be surprised if you see a custom Hema Explorer baselayer down the road.

Lastly, the Hema Cloud will continue to mature, evolve, and will revolutionize the way we all plan, track, and share our vehicle based adventures. I assure you there is no other company on the planet with the experience to build the vehicle based exploration community the way Hema will.

Also, I am biased =)

1Louder

Explorer
I understand your thought to hold off, especially if you already have Gaia. While I can't get into specifics regarding code, I can assure you that the current versions of Gaia and Hema are NOT using the same code.

I'll call this semantics. The user interface is the same / very similar. The underlying code may be different. With that said I look forward to future updates. Competition is always good. My main beef which has been beaten to death is Hema launched this app implying it was new and innovative when it really wasn't. I hope it takes a different path and can differentiate itself. I own both apps and will continue to push them to make them better.

Kevin108

Explorer
Like mjohns2, I'm not getting a map. I tried several of the selections, but it the map area stayed gray. I even loaded a track for Flag Pole Knob here in VA and the maps never loaded below the trail. Same results in the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome on Windows 7 64-bit.

Untitled-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78