Here we go again...

andysgreenxj

Observer
Here's a mockup of what I'm planning. Would love to have some input, and constructive advice on construction. The plan is to use 3/4" birch ply for the main structure

Attachments

• 20201116_175719_HDR.jpg
    20201116_175719_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20201116_175717_HDR.jpg
    20201116_175717_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

high-and-dry

Andy go back to the first page and look up the video I posted. Go to that guys you tube channel and watch his build videos.

He basically just screwed the whole thing together then coated it with fiberglass, it is heavy, but solid.

If I was building for rough off road I would do the skeleton 3/4 with foam filling the cut outs, then a 1/4 thick inside skin and a 1/2 outside skin covered in glass. Heavy but solid, you could honestly get away with 1/4 on the outside too.

Use a "cheaper" and lighter 3/4 ply and good birch ply for the skins.

Last edited:

Teardropper

By the pic would not call that off road :)

Let may try another...

hQIjJOR.jpg

The term, off-road has different meanings for different people. So in lotta ways, I don't care for it. Some think a gravel road is off-road. Some think a dirt USFS is off-road. Some think a two-track road is off-road...

You can't really compare the RVs your relatives work on with handcrafted campers. As you well know, the RV industry isn't noted for quality.

Tony

andysgreenxj

Observer
As you can see from the photos, it will have a nice flat top to it. The dimensions will be 5w x 9l x 4h. I would like to figure out a rooftop tent for my girlfriends boys to go camping with us:cool::cool:

high-and-dry

If your going 5x9 bump the height to 4'6". It wont add much except comfort inside. Heck if your getting a new axle ( torsion axle only ) you can even lower the frame a little and still have close to the same over all height from the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78