Hey guys

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
A couple things concern me here:

1) Is that surface rust or anything deeper. Dealing with a trailer like that, I found out a front spring mount was rusted through at the frame mount... I found out in the middle of no-where (figured out it was a pot-hole that was the final straw)!

2) The frame looks like angle iron (1" X 1"), I would NOT say that is strong enough for any trailer that will see more than well-graded fire roads or pavement.

3) What are you planning for wheels/tires? That looks like a pretty lightweight axle/wheel combo.

With these considerations, I would start from scratch. The biggest cost in my current build is the frame, but I'm starting with a very stout one. Re-building or modifying an existing trailer was a thought at first (I even had an off road trailer I could modify) but I realized, to do it right it was worth the extra time and money to build it right the first time. See my signature link for more on my design and (just starting) build.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
NO! Too heavy, Mobile Home Axles " not legal in many states"

Go to the steel supply yard and buy your metal new.

Start from scratch and build what you want.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Start from scratch and build what you want.

Mark is dead on right. Plan it out in your head, and on paper, what you want before cutting any metal. It took me a year to design mine before I was happy enough to start construction (but I am pretty anal about design though! :coffeedrink:)

jeeper92

Adventurer
got ya

Problem is I have no welding NONE at ability. I was also thiking of going the harbor freight route and beefing up the axle. i wont ever be doing anything extreme so the strength is not as much of a concern as it would for you guy doing rubicon and things like that

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Problem is I have no welding NONE at ability. I was also thiking of going the harbor freight route and beefing up the axle. i wont ever be doing anything extreme so the strength is not as much of a concern as it would for you guy doing rubicon and things like that

The labor of having a trailer frame welded can cause a bit of a choke! If you're not going to be planning for anything hardcore, I think finding a trailer to modify would be fine.... Just make sure it's structurally sound.

Nice find Mark!

loren85022

Explorer
Matt, finding a trailer frame builder is probably worth your effort. He may even have 1 out back that's a close. When you're roaming the trails, the last thing you want is to worry about the frame/suspension every time you hear a noise.

That said, there's always good buys on CL too

Sent from my iToaster

jeeper92

Adventurer
Yahtzee!!

http://allentown.craigslist.org/for/3906602696.html

guy just got back to me today.......................I think Im gonna scoop this one up.
Couple of questions........
No title? Is that a problem getting one titled in PA?
Is doing an axle swap hard? I wanna make sure that it matches the jeeps so I dont have to lug around two spares.
I love the fact that the top opens like that.....problem is if I mount a tent to it I wont have access to the top, was thinking of maybe doing my own one piece top.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I knew that was he right one.
Title in Pa with advanced inspection.
Keep all of your paperwork and get a bill of sale.
The axle may be the same bolt pattern as your jeep check first,
If not then you may be able to swap hubs. Check a trailer store or look for numbers on the axle.

One piece top would work well tip to the side or front.
Post how it goes.

jeeper92

Adventurer
K

Was thinking of buying a beat up pop up and just using the tags and registration on the new trailer
As far as lugs go...........bear with me Im new to all this, is it easy to do??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior