Hey what is your favorite winter tire (for canadian winters)

Gtdad

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, yes hakkas are$$ ibe been using nokian rotiva plus all weather tire for three years. They are 60% now so am going to keep them spring/summer/fall next year. This year I want studded snows.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How heavy is your rig? I found my 9500 lb rig to almost unstoppable with General Grabber HTS, and they're only all season... any snowy would be even better.

Durango had Michelin Lattitude X-Ice and they worked very well. Don't know if they come in your load range.

Fj40 has BFG ATs and they're excellent in the snow... and year round.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Not sure of my weight. Last year we had quite a winter for Vancouver, I had nokian rotiva LT plus all weather tires and they were good but so much black ice last year... This years winter looks to be the same so want to go studded winters this year and save my nokians at 60% for spring summer fall next year.

jb_eb

^^yep. I'm a firm believer that getting the best tires for the worst conditions. Most people will say, I'll compromise my traction on those black ice days for (enter excuse here), but it's that one time those people are distracted for a split second, that I am glad I spent the money on good tires to get out of the way. But then again, I have 4 sets of tires for my daily driver..lol.

depark

Observer
I run 285/75R16 Hercules Avalanche X-Treme LT - Studded Tires here in BC. The 1st year that I got them I was completely amazed at just how good they were. They are fantastic on ice and can plow through the deep snow without issue. 2 years ago we got over 14 inches of snow in one day. Side streets weren't getting plowed and everyone was getting stuck except for me. There were a couple of spots where I questioned stopping because of the snow depth. The van drove out without issue just like it was just a skiff of snow. I have no problem recommending these. I can also say that they are great on mountain highways like the Coquihalla and 97C (Okanogan connector). Hear's the link: https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Avalanche%20X-Treme%20LT
Cheers
Darryl

rkj__

Adventurer
I run 285/75R16 Hercules Avalanche X-Treme LT - Studded Tires here in BC. The 1st year that I got them I was completely amazed at just how good they were. They are fantastic on ice and can plow through the deep snow without issue. 2 years ago we got over 14 inches of snow in one day. Side streets weren't getting plowed and everyone was getting stuck except for me. There were a couple of spots where I questioned stopping because of the snow depth. The van drove out without issue just like it was just a skiff of snow. I have no problem recommending these. I can also say that they are great on mountain highways like the Coquihalla and 97C (Okanogan connector). Hear's the link: https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Avalanche%20X-Treme%20LT
Cheers
Darryl
I drove those (P) tires on a Hyundai Sonata. They were fantastic in snow. Never got that car stuck, even when pulling out of spots where the snow was well above the car's ground clearance. Just turn off the T/C and let the tires claw through.

They were certainly noisy, compared to all seasons anyway.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

akpostal

Adventurer
Im not in Canadaland, but Ive been running Cooper STTs since about '96. Currently running the STT Pros. Have them siped and run them year round.

ETA: Ive never run studs during an Alaskan winter. 84 CJ8, 81, 77 and 79 Blazers, 90XJ, 95 ZJ, and currently with my 14 JK. Some of these jackholes with studs scare the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
I am a big fan of the brigstone blizzak or equivalent. And never got studded tires. So I am not able to compare, but what I can say is that I never had issues with icy surface, the winter coumpound is so soft combine with the sipping that they have woked very well in any condition.

Were ai work, we get pretty good amount of snow, and only main road get salt. Where I go sking, we get an average of 25 ft of snow per year, and never got issues getting to the mountain, and I am not the tupe of guy that will stay home in a snow storm unless the road is officialy closed and then so. I'm a paramedic, so I need to get to work even in snow and freesing rain storm.

I have said that I like the blizzak, but again, I have never paid full price to get them, so I often go by with used winter tore that will fit my vehicules and that are pretty much only good for one or two more winter and that are almost given to me.

I am that cheap with tires (but my boggers ;) )

So to me a good winter tire is a tire that is only made for winter driving. I have to say that I only have 4wd vihicule, and will use the option when ever needed.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We get real winters here, but we also have to contend with WA state studded tire laws, so Ive slowly pushed away from studded tires...

The "little cars" get a set of winter tires.
The wifes little Rav is currently running a set of Mastercraft Glacier grip tires, non-studded.
They are more than enough. You have to try REAL hard, even in slick stuff to get that traction warning BEEP :)

The old Subaru I had, ran a set of studded Hankook Zovacs. Talks about a snow-mobile.
That car + those tires and the car seemed unstoppable....

The full-size trucks, I dont bother with anything more than a good AT tire.
Only tire Ill run is the Toyo At2, so both trucks are fitted with those.
And with weight in the bed, front hubs locked, they stick well.

The Jeep, I dont really consider a winter rig anyhow....
It is too much of a handful in the winter to consider it anything more than an amusement park ride :coffeedrink:
Sure, I could toss some studded winters on it and it would help, but we have more than enough vehicles to go around.
So it gets parked for the most part.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I also have a set of Yokohama Geolander I/T's on my 2012 JKRU. They are hands down the best set of snow & ice tire I have ever had on a vehicle, but I haven't run Nokian tires. At the time they were the only tire 35 inch or greater snow & ice tire that I could find. They work very well both in deep snow and on icy roads. I don't think they make them in the 315/75 R16 configuration any more - I am dreading the day that I have to replace them - they only go on once winter is fully upon us and come off at the first hint of spring.

My Yokohama Geolander I/T's were great tire. After several years of use and were worn down, I decided to try studded (since I moved to Quebec and was allowed studded) and went with the Hercules X-Avalanche, which I find don't grip quite as well in snow as the Yoko's, but of course does outperform them when comes to ice with the studs makes a huge difference. I was also looking at and was torn between the Cooper Discoverer M+S, but the Hercules was easier to get.

Nokian Hakkapeliittas are very expensive, but I do seem to be the best tire you can get.

LumpyCanuck

Observer
Winterforce LT's get my vote. Deep tread for deep snow/slush/rain(very likely to happen all in one drive), and a pliable tread compound makes short work of ice. The price point is great to. But if you're a one and done kind of guy when it comes to tires, Duratracs.

WVI

Adventurer
I get envious at times...her in the Peoples Republik of Illinois, we are not allowed ANY traction devices at all!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78