Hi-Lift Jack in a receiver hitch ???

dumolebob

Observer
Any tips, pro or con, on using a Hi-Lift Jack in a receiver hitch for lifting the rear end, or the tow hook to lift the front? I know there is an adapter tool made for Pord PUs, how about a Dodge? Do you need an “adapter” and if so any ideas for making one?

p71

Observer
It is all about stability.

Hi lift will lift from the front tow hooks with no adapter...
31038_104990276215730_100001142749451_44332_2239063_n.jpg

Just not paritcularly stable.

Vermejo

Adventurer
In the few times I’ve seen a Hi-Lift used in this manner; it got stuck in the hitch from its own force and the weight of the vehicle. A second Hi-Lift is required to undo the mess, which presents a precarious situation depending the placement of the two jacks.

Did I mention I was the Hi-Lift operator in the first instance? :sombrero:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
If im lifting off the hitch with a Hi-lift, I use one of these.

images

That way the foot of the hi-lift doesnt get wedged in, and it also provides a little more clearance from the rear of the vehicle. If (when?) the vehicle falls off the hi-lift, the more clearance between the jack and your sheetmetal, the better off your vehicle will be. I have seen rockers, and tailgates get destroyed with hi-lifts...

Not to mention getting yourself out of the way when it falls... but thats another thread.

The hi-lift is an awesome tool, but easily one of the most dangerous.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I have lifted the rear of an IHC Scout with a Hi-Lift in the rear receiver. Got both rear wheels out of the sand hole I had doug. With the wheels out of their holes I kicked the jack over, shifting the rear of the Scout about a foot to the right and the wheels on to of the sand! Did the same in front (HD 2"X5"X1/4" front bumper). Then I aired down the tires and drove out. Might have been easier if I had aired down a little earlier...:drool:

dumolebob

Observer
I've seen ads for these, but where?

images

That way the foot of the hi-lift doesnt get wedged in, and it also provides a little more clearance from the rear of the vehicle. If (when?) the vehicle falls off the hi-lift, the more clearance between the jack and your sheetmetal, the better off your vehicle will be. I have seen rockers, and tailgates get destroyed with hi-lifts...

Not to mention getting yourself out of the way when it falls... but thats another thread.

Storz

Explorer
When the springs popped out of my DI at URE a couple years ago we used the reciever hitch mounted shackle block for the Hi-Liftt and it worked great.

Previous owner didn't reinstall the retianers, and I never checked for them before hitting the trail. Lots of flex popped em right out.

fix1.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
The only real problem by doing so, is a stability isue.

A Highlift is a great tool, but you must have a way to lift a load that is stable.

Keep at least a wide tripod like stanse. From a hitch receiver, the shape is to narrow, ans the load can tunr around the front or rear wheels. Lift it in a corner a the vehicule so you only lift one corner à a time, and even then be carefull. The higher you lift, the more chance you have for the wheel on the other side to loose it grab on the ground, and make the truck slide and you might end up stuck under the truck. Not good.

The only time you could use the hitch, is you like mention before, your goal is to move the truck side ways. But be extremely cautious taht NO BODY stays around the jack or the vehicule when you lift and push it to the side.

My 2 cents.

dumolebob

Observer
Cabela's has 'em, but EXPENSIVE!

images

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The HiLift is easily used on the trailer hitch--with a ball hitch or adapter, but

As unsafe as the HiLift can be, unless it's TOTALLY necessary, they should never be used on the D-ring -too unstable and dangerous --

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

joethefordguy

what about using one of the hand-cranked trailer jacks on a receiver mount? i have found a 3500 lb capacity trailer jack i'm thinking of using, but since i've never seen this done i thought i should check first. i get the stability issue, anybody see anything else?

orbot

Observer
Ive done it, just be carefull because when lifting it will move a bit and it mght jump out of the reciever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior