Hi-Lift Jack in a receiver hitch ???

thecriscokid

Explorer
Ive done it, truck barely left the ground though and kind of sketchy. I like the wheel straps and use them often just to put my truck on jack stands. Without axle limiting straps you just have to go so high before the tires leave the ground. I changed a flat the other day with another truck backed into my front bumper as a "wheel chock" lifted from a high lift cut out in the rear bumper and my tuck slid 1 1/2' up hill in the mud. I prefer the side mount slider for flat fixing or wheel sling is the most secure IMO

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
just a idea ,i have the high lift straps that lift the tire up using the rim ,can fiill the hole and then head to the other tire ?ive lifted my f250 up in the hitch but it was to push the truck to the side ...lift push it over and repeat ..got me out of a jam but would be scarey to use the lift to get under the back end as it pushed over so easy ?

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I have a real Hi-Lift that is a piece of doo doo and a fake Hi-Lift that is awesome. One drops the load, the other holds it up. I have used them primarily to reposition vehicles in my yard when parking was tight and the vehicle was otherwise disabled. I've used the receiver hitch and or D-rings as described with both success and horror...dents in my wife's horse trailer when my service body fell over.

As with all lifting tools, caution is a great ally, fear is better.

Eventhough

Explorer
I have a real Hi-Lift that is a piece of doo doo and a fake Hi-Lift that is awesome. One drops the load, the other holds it up.

If your Hi-Lift is dropping it's load then the pins are not engaging properly. Have you checked into this and/or kept the pins lubricated?

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Yes, dropping load unless you keep your hand on the handle. As I have 2 jacks, this hasn't been a real problem, was just poking fun at my real versus fake Hi-Lift. I've replaced the pins, springs, and such twice with no performance change, some assembly could be misaligned.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Sometimes the powder coating can get on a little thick on the bar and affect how the pins interact. It's a mater of tolerances, one of the reasons the off brand may work for you better, things are a little looser.

Here check this video out, at about 1:20 he starts taking about some of the places that need "cleaned up" on new and used high lifts to make them work better. I hate having a good tool that doesn't work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ7fgW5QNl4

Good luck and stay safe!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Anytime I use my Hi Lift. (which seems to be fairly often for all sorts of things)... I ask myself.. "What's the worst thing that could happen here?". Then I adjust my thought process and actions from there.

Eventhough

Explorer
Yes, dropping load unless you keep your hand on the handle. As I have 2 jacks, this hasn't been a real problem, was just poking fun at my real versus fake Hi-Lift. I've replaced the pins, springs, and such twice with no performance change, some assembly could be misaligned.

I bet something on the Hi-Lift is affecting its functioning. It might be paint, or maybe a burr on one of the holes the pins use. Does it drop at the same point every time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior