Hi Lift Jack with lift mate

racewave

I have an 09 F-350 with a camper. I ordered it with the steel wheels with the intention of placing the lift mate hooks into the wheel slots. When the truck arrived it has some type of plastic wheel cover which is bonded to the stock steel wheels. Placement of the hooks would destroy the non removable covers. My question is: Could I use a heavy chain with a quality removable link to loop around the tire at a point below its widest diameter (below the axle,brakes,etc) then put the hooks from the Hi-Lift option into the chain. This would be used just to lift enough to fill in under a stuck tire.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
If they are the type I am farmilair with, you can remove them. You will have to unbolt the wheel to get them off as they are kept on by the lugs.

racewave

I can take off the center part to get to the lugs,everything else is bonded. The outside of the wheel looks chrome but looking from the back reveals a stock painted wheel with what looks like expanding foam type adhesive holding the cover on. This is a 2009 F-350 ford FX-4 pickup with what ford called chrome steel wheels.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
is this the wheel:

5883_st0640_042.jpg

racewave

Yes, that is it. I never did pry on them, is the adhesive looking stuff just a bedding agent? What do you think of the chain idea to lift with the covers on?

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I would be concerned with that method as the tire will have a tendancy to deform under the pressure of the chain while lifting. This would make the already unstable Highlift even more so.

racewave

Thanks for the help, if the covers will not come off I will go back to crawling in the sand with the bottle jack. Thats the way I always did it, just not as much fun the older I get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater