HID replacement headlights for Jeep Wrangler?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
One of the best upgrades I did for my LR3 was upgrade the headlamps with H7 HID bulbs. So much better!

I'd like to do the same with my Jeep (2005 Rubicon Unlimited). These appear to be sealed beam headlamps, so a simple bulb and ballast swap is not going to do it. Does anyone know of a OEM style replacement that upgrades the existing mediocre halogens to clean white HID's?

Thanks in advance.

NW

sdjeep

Adventurer
I know on Ebay there are kits to convert the sealed beam to the style that accepts a 9004 or similar style bulb. Haven't seen any true HID conversions but for the money the Sylvania SilverStars are a good upgrade. Much more white and broader beam. The factory ones on mine were a nasty yellow color before, and now they are much brighter and more clear. Also did the fog lamps at the same time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would just use a Phillips Vision Plus bulb and call it a day...
Here; read this.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

sdjeep said:
Sylvania SilverStars are a good upgrade.
I fell prey to those things too at one time. They only appear better; you actually can see less with them.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Osram Silverstars should not be confused with the American Sylvania Silverstars, btw. The Osram E-DOT bulb is a true +50, is clear, and is wonderful.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
If money is no issue than you can try the Delta full HID replacements. They give you a new lens and Reflector specifically made for HID along with all the other necessary HID hardware.
http://www.carparts.com/DELTA-7-HIGH-LOW-HID-HEADLIGHT-SYSTEM/GP_2014540_N__10618.car

Also these guys make 7” HID replacement assemblies. http://www.electrosport.com/off-road...d-lighting.php

But if you want vastly improved light performance for under $150, just do an H4 Bulb conversion kit. My recommendation is IPF. The 920H lens and the X51 Fat Boy Bulbs are the way to go.

It just so happens that Wendy at Sierra Expedition just sold me the IPF set. They are truly amazing.

ExpeditionJeep

Assuming money is an issue consider a set of IPF headlamp replacements, an ARB M002 harness upgrade and a pair of their fatboy H4 bulbs. The harness will take the load off the Jeeps electrical circuit so the bulbs (160/180 watt I think) work their best and the european cut of the lenses is a HUGE improvement over stock with decent cut off so they don't blind oncoming traffic. Not a cheap solution, but an easy improvement for about half the HID upgrade with similar light color and lumen output. I've used that combo on TJ's before and run it on my old hotrod now with great results. I only wish I had that option for my ZJ. What can you do...
Marc

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys! Wow, the HID's that Beowolf linked to was $1,000! I'm pretty surprised by that, I figured anything Jeep would be cheaper than anything I had custom made for my LR3. I got my LR3 set up for only $350, with custom harness and ballasts.

I think the IPF set up is probably the way I'll go for now. I'll drop a line to Sierra Expeditions.

Cheers,

NW

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I opted to go with the IPF setup. IPF headlamp replacements, an ARB M002 harness upgrade and a pair of their fatboy H4 bulbs. I got them from Sierra Expeditions, it was under $200, and they shipped them extremely fast. Going to do the install tomorrow morning I hope.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I installed the headlamp upgrades today. The (single) instruction page leaves a lot to be desired for someone not particularly mechanically inclined and generally scared of being a human toaster. The included wiring diagram was clearly not written by the same folks who did the instructions, because no attempt was made to label the parts consistently or even to show all of the connectors on it.

However, it wasn't all that hard. The harness has three connectors, and the fuse block has three connectors. I figured out that two of the three harness connectors fitted onto the new headlamps, and the third plugged into one of the existing harness connectors.

I have not figured out a need for the three connectors coming from the fuse block, but everything is working without them being connected, so perhaps they are for future use on an expanded harness (more lights)?

It took less than 2 hours, and that we me going very slowly and trying several different locations for the fuse block and harness routing. I also managed to drop a battery terminal nut under the battery, so I had to spend 15 minutes or so removing the battery to find the nut and then put it all back together. Nothing simple is ever easy!

FlyingWen

Explorer
nwoods said:
I installed the headlamp upgrades today. The (single) instruction page leaves a lot to be desired for someone not particularly mechanically inclined and generally scared of being a human toaster. The included wiring diagram was clearly not written by the same folks who did the instructions, because no attempt was made to label the parts consistently or even to show all of the connectors on it.

However, it wasn't all that hard. The harness has three connectors, and the fuse block has three connectors. I figured out that two of the three harness connectors fitted onto the new headlamps, and the third plugged into one of the existing harness connectors.

I have not figured out a need for the three connectors coming from the fuse block, but everything is working without them being connected, so perhaps they are for future use on an expanded harness (more lights)?

It took less than 2 hours, and that we me going very slowly and trying several different locations for the fuse block and harness routing. I also managed to drop a battery terminal nut under the battery, so I had to spend 15 minutes or so removing the battery to find the nut and then put it all back together. Nothing simple is ever easy!

Glad you got them installed Nathan! Thanks for the support and I look forward to hearing about how bright they are.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
So....do they work?

Oh Yeah! Just came back inside after adjusting them. The color is a nice warm white, not the cold electric blue of HID. I am a bit confused by the nomenclature about being super low beams, they are suberbly bright in high and low beam. The low beams have a sharp horizontal cut off very similar to HID lights.

The low beam throw seems very wide, and there is considerably better illumination of the ground in front of the vehicle and to the sides. The high beams are stellar.

I have four off road lights on my Jeep, and they are significantly brighter than my stock headlights, but they are aimed more for off road coverage, so I cannot use them on the road at all. These new IPF H4 super low Fat Boy lights are even brighter than my off road lights (in high beam mode). I'm very impressed.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Looks like some inexpensive HID upgrade options are now on the market. One that is getting high praise over on the Rubiconownersforum.com is form a company called Skinny Pedal. $110 with your choice of color temp if you already have H4 housings. $150 with their housings. I may just have to try a set with the 4300k bulbs.

Link to the ROF thread. (probably need a login)
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=68708&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Link to the HID kit on Skinny Pedal.

http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_26&products_id=22

Last edited:

Mr. D

Adventurer
I need to do this upgrade in the future as my eyes are not seeing as well in dark situations

Jeff H

Adventurer
I ran the IPF H4 conversion with the M002 Harness in my Wrangler and the improvement was awesome! I wish they made a harness for the WJ, but instead opted for HIDs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman