hidden winch mount

viter

Adventurer
since one member from the snorkel wars thread asked me to start a new thread on my hidden winch mount on my 2003 taco, here it is, well actually just a link to a full thread on TTORA - http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14884&highlight=hidden+winch+mount

and for all the pics use this link, cause some of the links in the ttora thread are not working, - http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/ua_taco/winch plate and winch and lights/

plus I thought by making this a general vehicle thread other people could add any hidden winch set-ups they or somebody else have on different vehicles

in my opinion haviong a hidden winch has a couple advantages: no heavy winch bumper adding extra weight, lower cost than buying a winch bumper, and ofcourse that stealth factor ;) and some disadvantages: no heavy winch bumper for front protection, stock vehicle look (depending on taste obviously it can be disadvantage or advantage), need for custom fabrication

Dsc04173.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I really like the stealth install. My truck is a daily driver. I didn't want to have to pack the weight all the time and like the versatility of a removable winch.
I fabricated a hidden front receiver.
winch1.jpg

It is a Hidden Hitch brand mount and a Mile Marker 9000lb. electric winch.

I bought it with a couple of the Warn quick connects but I needed more for a rear connector and for booster cables, so I bought some NAPA/Belden booster cable quick connectors and notched/slotted them to accept the Warn ends.

This allows me to attach my booster cables to the front and rear of the truck. I can also use the booster cables to attach to the winch. This allows me to put the winch in another vehicles receiver , and use the booster cables to attach to their battery.

winch3.jpg

There are a couple more pictures and a little "write-up" here: Hidden Front Receiver Hitch
& Raised Rear Hitch

Last edited:

viter

Adventurer
this is VERY versatile and slick!
good write up too!
did you have a chance to test it out in action and how well did it work?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I have yet to use it for self recovery. It has been very handy for a few other tasks. None of my pulls have tested it to it's maximum limits.

:fingers crossed: As long as I have it along, I seem to never need it.

The last addition to it was the wireless operated lighting.

wlight4.jpg

viter

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread, but I found this very clean looking set-up on an FJ cruiser from fjcruiserforums that I want to share:
wide_shot.jpg

barewinchfront.jpg

gusset.jpg

angle_down.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been out of town this week. Just returned from Sunriver , Oregon.
This was the first annual Oregon State Hazmat Conference.
The CST Team joined us.
They really have some excellent equipment.
All the vehicles have removable winches. The Suburbans, and pick-ups have Warn transformer front grille guards with receiver mounted winches.
The bigger trucks had these-

twin_hitch.jpg
twin_hitch2.jpg

They really looked beefy. The rings are a nice touch for adding a pulley for mechanical advantage. They were marked "28,000 lbs. Maximum".

Lots of nice stuff. The Communications unit can handle just about anything.
Our last day they simulated a level B response drop from a Blackhawk Coastguard chopper.
Lots of prop wash , but I got 20 minutes of good video.

I learned lots this weekend. I am safer and know enough to scare most.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Those stealth installs are nice and all but really suck if you have to do any field work to the winch. Even a loose wire on a silenoid or a bound up cable can make for a bad day.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I recall an article on a Rover of one sort or another in the UK. Owner was John Foes, maybe?
Anyway, winch in the middle of the truck, accessable by the driver, in place, via trap door. Cable (& it was) ran to the rear, thru a doubler pulley pinned to the rear bumper, then thru a series of guide tubes & pulleys to the front where the clevis had a dedicated anchor.

Winching backwards was automatically doubled up.

4x4v8

Observer
ntsqd said:
I recall an article on a Rover of one sort or another in the UK. Owner was John Foes, maybe?
Anyway, winch in the middle of the truck, accessable by the driver, in place, via trap door. Cable (& it was) ran to the rear, thru a doubler pulley pinned to the rear bumper, then thru a series of guide tubes & pulleys to the front where the clevis had a dedicated anchor.

Winching backwards was automatically doubled up.

That is a really good idea. I read another thread on this but a lot of people were skeptical of it. I wonder how this persons setup is running now...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I think someone found a link for that center mounted winch article and posted it in a related thread. The primary problem with the idea is getting the cable to lay flat on the drum and not bunch up. Access is rather limited if it does bunch.
Either here or on Mud there is a thread on racing an FJ60 in South America and one of the things they did was a similar winch mount design.

4x4v8

Observer
ntsqd said:
I think someone found a link for that center mounted winch article and posted it in a related thread. The primary problem with the idea is getting the cable to lay flat on the drum and not bunch up. Access is rather limited if it does bunch.
Either here or on Mud there is a thread on racing an FJ60 in South America and one of the things they did was a similar winch mount design.

Yea, youre right, I could see a big problem occurring if the cable gets into a birds next or just access to the winch in general....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior