High Altitude Heaters?

LoRoad

Adventurer
Webasto says that their heaters work up to 2200meters - that's just over 7,000 feet. Some of the place I'd like to go and want to also stay warm at night are above their posted limits. Not wanting to use gas, does anyone have a suggested alternative; or real world experience that Webasto works up to say 12,000 feet?

Accrete

Explorer
I've been following a thread over at the fiberglass rv forum about a guy who is most likely going to install one of these diesel heaters in his ~19ft trailer. Maybe it is a viable option? It is designed for expedition tents so it's a bit different design.

Here is the link to the website. And a quick photo:

Trekkerjpeg.JPG

Best wishes on your build.
Thom

Last edited:

FusoFG

Adventurer
My Espar has worked fine at 10,000 + feet in Colorado and Wyoming for 7 years. This past year it has occasionally started to smoke when starting, but when I shut it off and restart it, it runs fine.

The service department in Michigan says it's probably some carbon build up. When I send it to them for cleaning and service I am going to add their altitude compensation control to see if that eliminates the problem 7 years from now. The service guy said based on my success so far, I probably didn't need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior