High Clearance Front Reciver for 07 Dodge 5.9

Big Silver

Has anyone welded up a front reciver hitch for their 2500 or 3500
Dodge with the diesel engine? I'm in the process and do not like the loss of 2" to 3" the aftermarket hitches offer. It looks like I will need to clearance the heat exchanger lines for the power stearing unit on the driver side. I would rather go to a wider less deep secton like a 2" x 4" or 6" cross member. With some luck I think I can get the reciver to exit through the plastic air dam and not loose any ground clearance. Has anyone done this or have any photos?
Thanks,

Big Silver

Thank's Dixie, I had not condsiddered this option, wish I had. I have already welded up the cross member clearancing for the power steering lines. I still need to finish the reciver tube and weld on a couple of 1/4" end plates but the hitch looks like it will work. I will need to cut a hole in the plastic air dam below the chromed steel cross member. I'll try to post a photo.
Thanks again.

Kilroy

Adventurer
have u looked at bodiak hitches?

I'd never heard of these and they are nice. I will be ordering one in the near future. Would like a whole bumper, but other places I need to invest on the truck first.

Thanks for the tip:wings:

theMec

Adventurer
With some luck I think I can get the reciver to exit through the plastic air dam and not loose any ground clearance.
Thanks,

If you're really worried about clearance, you'd just remove the air dam. If you do much off pavement, it'll get ripped off sooner or later anyway. It's easy to take off, at least on the '05.

The bodiak hitch looks good. I'll have to think about that.

Big Silver

Made some progress today welding up the reciver hitch.
Looking at other options lead me to go ahead with this choice. There was not enough clearance between the lower bumper and the trans cooler so I had to go down below. Here is a photo. I will cap the ends with 1/4" plate and put two more bolts through the side of the frame rails on each end. Power stearing cooler lines required the clearance on the drivers side.

Attachments

• Frontreceiver.JPG
    Frontreceiver.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 162

b wojo

VERY interested in this. I too dont care for the available hitches which hang down too far and are limited on load rating to 9000 or so lbs. Yours looks like it would be much stronger. I have a 3500 mega cab and have reciever and power run for multi mount in back but nothing in front.... yet. i am fully aware that my 9000 lb warn multi mount is no 15000 lb winch but would only need it to "help" and not extract from a bad stuck, or pull other lighter rigs out. interested in making a twin??? or providing material list and dimensions ???? please?????

b wojo

yes they can.. however, i dont want to spend 1500-2500 to get one, dont want the extra weight over the front end from the heavier bumper, and althought the TDK shown is one of the better looking bumpers, i dont really like the look of most of them (arb excepted, but i dont think they offer a reciever option on the dodge bumpers)

Big Silver

Sorry guys,
BSA has taken up a couple of weekends. I took the Troop to the Palm Springs Air Museum and camped at Joshua Tree one weekend and the next was spent on a rough Scout fishing trip in the Channel Islands. I also made a dash to AZ for Thanksgiving visit with family and friends and picked up a Troop donation from one of the members here. I did get my Flip Pac installed and am finishing up the lighting install. I should have some installation and finish photos by Sunday. As for building a second, I can give you the details of what I have done, but the quality of your welds are up to you. I only build for my own use due to liability of this type of hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger