High clearance hitch cargo rack

bunce1260

Observer
Hello.

There's not much room in our Astro van now we've put in cabinets and built a bed. I want to be able to carry some more "stuff", so have been looking for a hitch cargo rack. I'm planning on bolting on an under truck storage/tool box (36x18x18) for the emergency/rescue equipment, a gas can holder along with shovel mount. Getting this stuff outside the van should free up some space.
Most of them have little clearance for going up/down hills,driveways and rough roads, I need some high clearance and have found this TMS rack http://amzn.to/1RRSl3J it's supposed to provide a 12" rise. Sounds promising, does anyone have any experience of this cargo rack?

Another option while much more expensive is this Warrior rack http://amzn.to/1TsKARa It looks very well built but is waaay more expensive, and only gives an 8" rise. Any experience of this one.

All thoughts appreciated even if they're not regarding the above suggestions if it helps me achieve my goal. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, and I don't want anything on the roof, I don't want to reduce my mpg.

Thanks.

Darwin

Explorer
Not sure on cost, but you might be better off having someone local fabricate one. It would likely be more heavy duty, the review of the first posted rack said the welds looked poor. The second one says it's rated for 500 lbs, so maybe a better option.

bunce1260

Observer
I did see that HF rack, however I couldn't find any info. on how high the rise is. I think I might pop down there with a tape measure this weekend.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I originally posted 14" rise, but that was from the wrong link (I deleted that incorrect info). Just looking at the pic, I'd guess more like 8"-10".
Please post up your specs if you take a tape measure into Harbor Freight.

Last edited:

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I bought the harbor freight rack, which looks very similar to that TMS rack on amazon except the HF one didn't have that much of a rise.

The HF one I bought was rated for 300lbs. Check your max tongue weight, it may only be 300lbs! Subtract the weight of the rack and now you have your safe load limit.

I cut the HF one up, bolted it back together with it's own bolts to get more clearance out of it. I also strap it down to my tow hooks while underway to prevent it from rattling around. For $50 I can't complain.

Stock:

20150926_180234.jpg

20150929_175404.jpg

Modified:

20151118_081137.jpg

20151022_154245.jpg

DSCN1837.JPG

bunce1260

Observer
I second that, good work. I hadn't thought about cutting a rib or two out to bring it in closer to the vehicle. Looks better and reduces leverage. Nice!

bunce1260

Observer
I popped into HF today. The measurement from the bottom of the piece that inserts onto the hitch to the top of the horizontal support bar is approx 7.5 ". The TMS rack has that measurement noted as 14". I think I'll give it a craic and see how it is, if I have to sell it, I shouldn't lose too much $.

What I'm thinking of doing is is bolting the "ribs" one bolt hole closer to my van, and flipping the bolt on sections around so the raised bars are closest to the van. I won't be going anywhere near the weight limit and this will reduce leverage.

Thoughts?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I did see that HF rack, however I couldn't find any info. on how high the rise is. I think I might pop down there with a tape measure this weekend.

Get the HF rack and use it as a base to fabricate all the rise you want. It's one tube and a local welder.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

$70 minus the ubiquitous 20% off coupons, 500# capacity, have a welder add some 2" tubing and angled gussets to offset the receiver tube as much as you want. Be clever about it and add a receiver hitch extension as the part going in the extension, and have your rack go up from that so you can have the basket and STILL have an open receiver.

I question your whole premise of needing external storage with an AstroVan. wth did you do with all that all that interior cubic space?

bunce1260

Observer
WTH did we do with all that space??

Well we're trying to make a camper van much like the VW's. We kept the rear bench and built a surround so when folded down we have a sleeping platform. In front of that, behind the driver seat we will have a cabinet with sink. There is some room under the the platform at the rear, but the subwoofer, aux. batt. and other electrical takes up about 2/3 of that, there's very little room under the seat, so there's not much storage room.
The space we do have is when you get in the sliding door back to the cabinet, not great for storage. I'd be happy just chucking bags in the van and cope with a few bags lying around. The Mrs wants it to be nice and organised, the happier she is with it, the more we get to go out exploring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger