High mileage Tahoe. Should I pass?

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have 190K on my 04 CC Sierra. Less than 2.5k in repairs. I have les Schwab guaranteed for life brakes all the way around on it now. Second set of fronts lasted almost 80k, on my second set of front rotors now with the Les Schwab set in under 40k (not impressed).

We are looking to replace it but only cause not sure I want to out a transmission in it, and it starting to show signs of needing one. Burns 1/4 of 1 at on 20w every 5k miles using Pepboys of jiffy lube oil change and filters.

Wonderful truck though some of the interior dash lights are starting to fail.

mike the welder

Adventurer
as far as car fax goes many many many shops do not report to car fax did I say many. also used car dealers do not report or if they do everything is rosy. also backyard mechanics don't report. just something to keep in mind. highdesertranger

Yes, but carfax is better than nothing. Four of the suburbans I looked at had more than 100k mileage discrepancies and I walked away from those. Texas also reports every time it does or doesn't pass inspection and when the registration is renewed and title changes. Mileage is also reported every time it changes owners in Texas. I offered to run a report because I paid for a 2 month subscription for info that I think should be free. I have run almost 100 vehicles thru it for family, friends and my car club members. Some of them came back with some interesting histories that the owners had no knowledge of. I'm determined to get as much use out of their service as possible. I also figured out that most cars(not all) advertised with the plates removed in pictures are dealers posing as for sale by owner or flippers who bought the cars at auction. Used cars is a dirty business. The Suburban I just bought is the first car I've bought in 14 years and I was disturbed at how bad it's become.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
if it has a trans cooler and im sure it does make sure to check the trans fluid for coolant. i had an issue with that on a 2002 gmc with the 5.3. luckily it was under warranty i loved that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior