High mount 3rd tail light for FlipPac?

dman93

Adventurer
Anyone installed one, and/or any suggestions on a good surface mount light, preferably LED? I think they're a good safety feature.
Edit: I mean brake light, of course.

Camelfilter

Explorer
I stuck a round LED one onto the inside of the rear window & also put an inline brake flasher on it. It's the kind of brake flasher that high intensity blinks for a second, then stays steady on until you let off the brake. I stuck it on using clear 3M outdoor double sided tape.

Tapped the electrics right into my brake light & ran the cord up the side of my bed and along the rear of the FP then down to the light.

Pics might be on here somewhere. I bought the led & flasher from "superbright LEDs". I'll see if I can't post up pictures & more info tonight if I have time.

Edit: found a thread where I posted up a picture.

See this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ignals-on-Flip-Pac-Anyone?highlight=Led+brake

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Thanks Camelfilter. Somehow I never thought of putting it inside the window ... makes sense and much easier.

JaanQ

Another good source for surface mount LED ones, are the local salvage yard. I didn't like the 3rd brake light that came with my cap, so I got one from a Suburban with barn doors. It's also the same kind as many vans. In my case, it's an authentic Chevy part number which I guess is kind of nice. No cop ever gave me guff about it, but if they did I can tell them it's a factory brake light. Also, factory parts are usually made nicer than aftermarket parts.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Good tips JeanQ, thanks!

The LED I bought is certified. I'll see if I can't find a link to it, if they still sell it. Whatever you use, make sure it's bright, because of the window tint. The one I bought is plenty bright, almost too bright without the window tint.

I was thinking about putting 2 up higher, like a bus might have. Decided against it, as where I placed it seems about where most car drivers height would be. Plus I think it looks nifty inside the "O" of U of O sticker :).

Look at truck stops and chrome shops, lots of good surface mount options. Trailer shops and such would have some too. United pacific, maximma, trucklite and grote are all major brands for trucks and are usually sae dot certified. The better ones are pricey but have good warranty. Superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com are both good sites for leds, bigrigchromeshop.com iowa80.com are good ones to browse too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears