High Top Roof Racks

tims5377

I did my best to search but came up empty.

We have been going back and forth on the type of van that we want to start with our build. There are a few things I have figured out though: at 6'3", getting a bed long enough for me in a regular length van is a challenge and will take up most of the space. Also, sitting on a normal height chair, I will have about 1" of headroom in a regular height van. I have been under the assumption the whole time that standing is just going to be out of the question for me (which im ok with).

So this has led me to looking for an extended high top econoline. I thought I found the one the other day, but turns out it was a rust bucket.

Last night I was thinking about what we do on our trips - typically they involve some sort of paddling, either in our canoe or kayaks. I then asked myself how the F me and my 5'2" significant other are going to get the boats on top of a high top van (~8' high?). Further, can you put a roof rack on a fiberglass high top? Eventually I would like an awning and a solar shower up there as well.

The one I thought was mine :(

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We've done a few but everyone is a bit different. Bracing is important, we always have Fiberine add a sheet of OSB to the ceiling that we bolt thru.

Have some examples in our build thread and FB/IG pages, we only do them in house.

tims5377

We've done a few but everyone is a bit different. Bracing is important, we always have Fiberine add a sheet of OSB to the ceiling that we bolt thru.

Have some examples in our build thread and FB/IG pages, we only do them in house.

Where so they put the OSB and how thick? On the top, sides or both? What do they use to secure it?

I am thinking of something that uses gutter mounts and is (custom) formed to match the side of the bubble top. I would run a few bolts through the wall of it and into the braces as well. Would obviously need to reinforce the inside somehow, which wouldn't be the end of the world as I am going through and insulating as well.

Side note, how do you get a boat on top of a high top van if you aren't a giant? lol

brushogger

Explorer
Where so they put the OSB and how thick? On the top, sides or both? What do they use to secure it?

I am thinking of something that uses gutter mounts and is (custom) formed to match the side of the bubble top. I would run a few bolts through the wall of it and into the braces as well. Would obviously need to reinforce the inside somehow, which wouldn't be the end of the world as I am going through and insulating as well.

Side note, how do you get a boat on top of a high top van if you aren't a giant? lol

I though about making gutter mounts, but they would be so long I couldn’t figure out how to eliminate side to side flex. To answer your last question we bought two of these so they don’t go on the roof.

They’re crazy rigid. Almost like a hard shell and track great! Deflated they are 22”x22”x12”

I think the bars and mounts I bought will be fine even without the osb. The mount feet are 7”x2” and have backing plates. The Viking roof was actually made for ambulances so the fiberglass is pretty thick. The feet will mount fairly close to the wall/roof bend which will also add stiffness.

mitchn06

I too have considered racks for mounts and such, but honestly it easier to buy a $500 4x8 or similar trailer and build on that. My opinion. I already own a trailer, so no additional costs, well maybe some hardware for a custom rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushogger

Explorer
A trailer for us isn’t an option. Tolls for roads, bridges, and ferries are higher, and we will eventually be shipping it to South America. That’s expensive enough without a trailer.

tims5377

Yea I want to stay away from a trailer too. I want to be able to park at busy trailheads easily.

At the moment I am shying away from purchasing a van with the high top. If I added a top I think I would weld up an internal frame out of tube steel that closely follows the top. I would then bolt through the high top to the internal frame. My engineer brain likes this although it would be a ton of work on top of an already labor intensive project. And then there is the issue of how to get anything up there...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

.5", the whole ceiling and I have them add 1x6 around the perimeter, on the side and the rear.

brushogger

Explorer
Yea I want to stay away from a trailer too. I want to be able to park at busy trailheads easily.

At the moment I am shying away from purchasing a van with the high top. If I added a top I think I would weld up an internal frame out of tube steel that closely follows the top. I would then bolt through the high top to the internal frame. My engineer brain likes this although it would be a ton of work on top of an already labor intensive project. And then there is the issue of how to get anything up there...

That would be great, but would add more weight up high. The rack is mainly for a place to mount the solar panels, and since the rack is going to be all aluminum there won't be much added weight up there. I'm doing my best to keep the CG as low as possible. The high top seems to be quite stiff. No flexi flier feeling at all. I've seen a couple of full roll over pics in vans like this, and they maintained the "cage" over both front passengers since the metal roof over them is still intact.

JBoles

My 2006 E350 has an extended roof and an inner roll cage. I've installed four of the VanTech cross bars that attached at rain gutterd. The rack has been installed for several years, it's bomber. I've had up to 8 whitewater kayaks up there on the highway and it does fine. I was doing a search today as I'm in the process of planning to fabricate a platform (likely steel) across the entire roof. This will hold two solar panels in front, full deck for standing and have cross bars on the back to install kayak stackers and other Yakima accessories, rocket box, etc.

Mine are aluminum but they come in steel as well. They aren't cheap, I think they were 300 or $350 per set when I bought them. They have tracks for carriage bolts, I think that is how I'll connect the platform. Two deck boards attached on the front cross bars were my dry run of attaching deck boards to the carriage bolts. They've been solid for a while now. I had considered just doing a full wood deck, it would be cheaper but I need to mount some cross bars.

As far as getting boats on top, I lean them vertically against the back and push them up. I've seen folks install a roller on the back, I'm considering that for my fab project.

You can see some more details of my build here, however it's not very up to date: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-family-adventure-van-build-thread-14849.html

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_9953.JPG
    IMG_9953.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8969.JPG
    IMG_8969.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8575.JPG
    IMG_8575.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8572.jpg