Highway robbery with half tons

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Your dealer wasn't dealing then. When you get 0% financing you lose manufacturer rebates on the vehicle. However, you can still negotiate. For example I'm about to close a deal on a new Grand Cherokee for the wife. I'm getting 0% for 84 months but i'm not paying sticker price for the Jeep. I'm paying invoice price minus half the dealer holdback which is about $1,600 off sticker on that particular jeep.

Holy crap. 7 year payment?

jonathon

Every time I’ve bought a newer used vehicle I’ve bought someone else’s expensive problem. I won’t buy used unless it’s old and cheap to fix like my 1988 K2500.

I bought my Ram 2500 in December. It wasn’t cheap but it was what I wanted long term. We probably won’t buy another new vehicle for 10 or 15 years.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Every time I’ve bought a newer used vehicle I’ve bought someone else’s expensive problem. I won’t buy used unless it’s old and cheap to fix like my 1988 K2500.

I bought my Ram 2500 in December. It wasn’t cheap but it was what I wanted long term. We probably won’t buy another new vehicle for 10 or 15 years.
This seems to be an increasing risk especially given even used these aren’t cheap. To your point pay $30k for a F150 “grandpa driven” only to discover some spoiled twit kid doing burn outs in the very truck on YouTube. Lol

Adventurous

Explorer
Past 2 trucks I've purchased were new, due in part to the market for base model trucks devoid of most fluff features being pretty small, so the chances of finding used, unmolested specimens has been tough. Not to mention when said used trucks carry a price break of only $4K for something with 30K miles on it vs. a brand new truck, it hasn't made sense to buy used. But again, that is just my experience, YMMV.

I intend on keeping the current truck until either it dies, or I die, whichever comes first.

D

Deleted member 9101

That's exactly why I bought a new truck. People seem to forget that every used car is on that lot for a reason.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It pays to shop around. I found one with everything I wanted (36 gallon tank, E-locker, trailer brake controller, heated seats) with 17k miles on it for $35k. To buy that truck brand new would have been at least $44k from every dealer I contacted (and most of them couldn't even promise the 36 gallon tank.) That's WITH all the incentives/rebates applied.

$9k saved (and remember, it's not just $9k - it's also SALES TAX on $9k that I saved) is a decent amount of savings for something that still had 2 years and 19,000 miles worth of bumper-to-bumper warranty, and more than enough to justify buying used vs. new.

So what did I LOSE buying used? About 14 months and 18,000 miles of warranty. Oh that and "new car smell." That's it.

I wouldn't pay $9,000 for a 2 year, 18,000 mile warranty, so I figure I came out ahead. ;)

phsycle

Adventurer
It pays to shop around. I found one with everything I wanted (36 gallon tank, E-locker, trailer brake controller, heated seats) with 17k miles on it for $35k. To buy that truck brand new would have been at least $44k from every dealer I contacted (and most of them couldn't even promise the 36 gallon tank.) That's WITH all the incentives/rebates applied.

$9k saved (and remember, it's not just $9k - it's also SALES TAX on $9k that I saved) is a decent amount of savings for something that still had 2 years and 19,000 miles worth of bumper-to-bumper warranty, and more than enough to justify buying used vs. new.

So what did I LOSE buying used? About 14 months and 18,000 miles of warranty. Oh that and "new car smell." That's it.

I wouldn't pay $9,000 for a 2 year, 18,000 mile warranty, so I figure I came out ahead. ;)

Sorry man. You can get that exact package, brand new for $40k or under. XLT, Screw, Max Tow, 302. So delta is more like $4-5k. Like it was said above by @Adventurous

Grassland

I remember when GM in particular but domestics in general would give ******** away with incentives for financing and leasing, and then a year or three later was going for peanuts wholesale.
Some of the reason I owned so many vehicles over the years. You could buy used for cheap.
Now, used trucks with low kms are top dollar on the lot, as the dealer plays the MSRP comparison game.
"Save twelve grand on this used truck compared to the new one" yeah well the new one has 9k in incentives if you have money and don't need financing for 84 months.

But the MSRP creep in 6 years has been $8000 for Ford. (Comparing my 2014 plain Jane XLT MSRP of $40,400 to equivalent 2020 trucks of 48k)
I don't know about the US of A but inflation in Canada isn't anywhere near that high.

Maybe our useless dollar has something to do with it.

phsycle

Adventurer
Today when dealers are desperate? Maybe. Back in August when I was shopping? Not a chance. Yes, I checked.

Pricing on new trucks really hasn’t changed much over the last few years. Thank the low oil pricing and good market demand for that. A typical deal over the last 4-5 years (and probably longer) has been around 20-22% off of MSRP. That’s the way it was when I bought my 2015 (new), XLT, Screw, 2.7, 36gal, 3.55 locked, 302a. $48k MSRP, $37k purchase. And that wasn’t even the best deal. I could have gone out of state and got another $1,500 off. MSRP for an XLT last year, for the same build, was probably in the low $50k’s. Which puts it right around $40k purchase.

Feel to to read through this to confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78