Hillbilly Trailer

austintaco

Explorer
What's the space between the front of the trailer and rear of the truck? How heavy is the half cap?
would it be possible to slide the full top to the back of the 4runner so that you are only supporting one side. Then guide the full top to the front edge of the trailer and slide it along the rails until its in place.

This would only work if you can manage the half top by yourself and if they are not too far apart.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
What if you jackknifed the trailer... removed the half cab then unlatched the full cab & slid or shuffled it to the trailer then straightened the rig up ??
Maybe set the trailer where you want it... unhook... back up to the trailer at a 90 deg. angle and again slide or shuffle the shell back to the trailer then set it on there right & reverse for the trip home...

Curt

CJSCustoms

Austintaco, the full top is about 6' long. I never measured the gap between the trailer and 4runner but I do know that when I took the full top and slid it back I was able to rest about 2" on each end between the trailer and the 4runner. The half top is very light, half the fiber and no glass so that's no problem at all. I like being able to just slide it back when the trailer and 4runner are hooked up.

I had a thought the yesterday, let me know what you think. I was thinking if I cut holes in the trailer rails and had adjustable wheels come up through so the full top can roll down the trailer rails. Once in place adjust the wheels down and bolt it together. Similar to a sliding screen door without the spring. Or with the spring and find the right tension.

austintaco

Explorer
On the same line of thought, you could make a channel on the trailer bed rails that was wide enough to let the top slide but not wide enough for it to become derailed. Once you had have the edge on, you would just have to push it from the 4runner onto the trailer.
going back to the 4runner would be a bit more difficult to make a setup.

As heavy as the 4runner top is, you can sit in the back and inch it up or back. You could also use a ratchet strap to help guide it.

Either way, I will keep following the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears