HIM in Guatemala

jatorresrv

Observer
After reading Scott's explanation of an expedition and the encouragement of posting these I thought I might have one. However it is not a true vehicle expedition in the sense that we get to the area of the expedition by air and not land. But once there it is all land and to some pretty remote areas that take 2-3 hours to reach from our base. Most of the miles travelled are by BUS. Yes, the STAR of this expedition is a BUS.
picture.php

This our primary mode of transportation, a retired school bus. These former school buses from the United States find there way south of the border. This one picks us up at the airport in Guatemala City and takes us to our hotel (base of operations) some 4-6 hours away, depending on traffic. From this base we divide into work groups every morning and depending on number of people, equipment, and route conditions we jump into the bus, a van, or some form of truck.
picture.php

Heading to our destination. The work groups commonly are construction, hospital, or medical clinics. The construction group commonly stays close to base completing projects. The hospital group goes to the local hospital to do work there, most of the times its medical but could be painting or construction to name a few of the past projects. The medical clinic group, my primary role, goes into the country side to provide medical care and/or to find patients the hospital group can help or children that would benefit from the nutrition center.
picture.php

Occasionally along these mountain roads we stop for one reason or another and I make it a habit of striking a conversation with a local.
picture.php

Sometimes getting to our destination may require us to carry our equipment from our transportation vehicles to partisan vehicles, very common 4x4, that get us to our final destination.
picture.php

Of course, after a long day at clinic where we may see 200-300+ patients in as little as 3-4 hours we have to reverse the way of getting back. This includes carrying all our equipment back.
picture.php

Although rare, sometimes we finish early at the clinics and will meet the other groups somewhere for much deserved R&R. However, this is rare. Not the deserving part but the R&R part is rare, but we don't complain.
picture.php

Some of the places we go for clinic can be really off the beaten paths, but views like this are the reward.
picture.php

But no worries, if you noticed, the buses are commandeered by the volunteer firefighters. And can these guys and gals (not the ones pictured) drive! Their skills are masterful in navigating these buses around small tight towns streets and off-road.
picture.php

Another work group trains these volunteer and federal firefighters in the areas of Emergency Medical Services.
picture.php

On one trip deep into the mountains, our primary expedition vehicle encountered a minor problem. I am not mechanically knowledgeable but what the drive told me was that fuel was not reaching the engine.
picture.php

Although we left with a full tank of fuel at this point of the climb the fuel had reached a point in the tank where the highest point of the fuel was not reaching the tank outlet to the engine.
picture.php

Of course, local traffic builded at both ends of the roadway. Someone from our group convinced the vehicles at the top to turn around and ferry the equipment and us to our destination.
picture.php

After we left, the firefighters somehow figured out to get fuel to the engine. They jerry rigged the windshield washer reservoir to the engine and filled it with fuel as many times as it took for them to reach a point on the road where they were able to make, what I call, “A matchbox U-turn”. A matchbox U-turn is one where your K-turn takes 10 or more back and forward movements as it takes for your vehicle to be facing the direction you just came from. Just like we did with our matchbox cars when we were kids.
picture.php

Hearts In Motion (HeartsInMotion.org) performs some ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE work in Guatemala, Ecuador, and Honduras besides the medical clinics in hard to reach areas.
picture.php

Through volunteers, Hearts in Motion has build a Nutrition Center to feed malnourished children.
picture.php

Hearts In Motion has made numerous donation drives that accumulate dispensable goods and put those to good use.
picture.php

Including a computer lab, that not only works but gets used a lot, unfortunately that is without internet access. If the internet were available the use would be 10 fold I am sure.
picture.php

The redhead, the Founder and Executive Director of Hearts In Motion, tells us, “We are not here to change their lives...we just want to make their lives a little better.”
picture.php

Hearts in Motion provides some with protheses. But most amputees get along with a stump. Some will make with whatever they can find. Ms Karen just wants “to make their lives a little better.”
picture.php

A rubber shoe sole makes for a shock absorber of this hip joint of a tall stocky man and he was happy with that. Ms Karen just wanted to make his life a little better and he agreed.
picture.php

Hearts In Motions helps to train the firefighters with Emergency Medical Service skills at no cost to them.
picture.php

This includes making it as realistic as possible with emergency disaster scenarios, including moulage.
picture.php

These EMS exercises are far from a dog and pony show. The scenarios are made to be realistic and to really challenge the firefighters.
picture.php

Occasionally I get to drive a 4x4 truck.
picture.php

Last edited:

jatorresrv

Observer
HIM in Guatemala; continued.

When I get to drive it's usually because “The Star of the Show” (The Bus) cannot get us there.
picture.php

As many of you know, in these austere environments mother nature can be unforgiving, BUT delivery PIZZA...
picture.php

...and its a CHEVY...just like my SportsTrek. Only an entrepreneur would find a river crossing as a business opportunity.
picture.php

However, more times then not, the bus gets us to our destination...
picture.php

...it be small towns or even smaller villages...
picture.php

...regardless of who's day it is to collect water...
picture.php

...the firefighters will be there waiting for us...
picture.php

...and if the Bus cannot make it...there is a small fleet of vans and trucks...
picture.php

...regardless how many came on the BUS...find a seat somewhere...
picture.php

...but for the most part the Bus will be there...
picture.php

...even if you were out late the night before! Visit HeartsInMotion.org to see their work. Thanks for reading this. "If you could help someone, would you?" Pass it on!

Last edited:

jatorresrv

Observer
Thanks for your comments. Are you able to see the pictures? Because I am not able to see the pictures unless I log in but I can see pictures on other's threads without logging in. Does that make sense? Jose

suntinez

Explorer
I enjoyed it before AND after the pics :) but more with the pics!

I think if you host to an external site like flickr or photobucket, then link to them, you can see pics without logging in. But if you upload to an expo album, then folks have to login to see them.

Thanks for your comments. Are you able to see the pictures? Because I am not able to see the pictures unless I log in but I can see pictures on other's threads without logging in. Does that make sense? Jose

I was not able to see the pictures but would like to if they get posted Coincidentally, a friend of mine was an orphan from Gualan. I traveled to the area several years ago hoping to reconnect with him or his family after losing contact. In spite of my long drive, I was not able to meet up with him or his family but trust that God will be with him until we meet again.

I plan to travel with my children to Guatemala in the next few years and will keep this organization in mind as I plan on a service work experience for my children as part of our trip.

Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears