Hindsight = 20/20...what did you wish you had left behind? What did you need?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Greg; Brenton; while in Patagonia and the Andes... did you wish you had a nice cabin heater? I've got an ATC Bobcat Camper with a propane system but I'm planning on refitting it with diesel for efficiency. That and a nice sleeping bag... but I think my -35 bag is overkill.
Sure, we "wished" for it during moments freezing in the Andes...but honestly, we did just fine without and it would have sacrificed much space just for those few moments. All we use is our 0º sleeping bags, an extra blanket, and slept in winter clothes. Our water supply froze several times and so did our radiator at one point...but everything thawed fine and we were good to go.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Obviously it's all personal preference. I really depends on how luxurious you want to "live" while on the road.
To give some perspective on Dangerbus' post, I'll comment on the items as they applied to my 65,000km, 22 month drive from Alaska to Argentina.
I very much subscribed to the less-is-more philosophy.

Essentials/Must Haves

Vehicle- 

Agree 4x4 is not a must, as anywhere you want to go has a road.

Awning-
I didn't have one, and actually can't think of a single time I wanted one.

Screens-
I got bitten by bugs less than a handful of times, and I would just dive into my tent. No biggie.

Fans- 

I had nothing.

Water- 

I just had a 20L plastic container, it was find, and easy to fill for < $3 in every country.

Fridge/Ice-
I had nothing, though I did kind of want one just for "luxury".

Extra fuel-
I had nothing, and ran out of gas once in Argentina.

Propane/Cooktop-
I had an alcohol stove, which was fantastic. You can *always* buy alcohol at drug stores in every country.

Air Compressor-
I had the cheapest 12V compressor money can buy, and used it once, because I couldn't be bothered putting on my spare tire.

Tow Strap-
I had a length of old rope, and used it once or twice to pull other people out of ditches.

Recommended

Good solar setup-
I had nothing, the Jeep battery was perfect for charging batteries/laptop.

Grill-&#8232;
I had Nothing

jumper cables-
Had 'em, never used 'em. Push start was always an option.

portable shower-
I Had nothing.

sand ladders(depending on your offroad use)-&#8232;
I Had nothing.

spanish/local languange-
Agree, very nice to speak more Spanish. I took lessons in El Salvador.

Completely Unnecessary

gps/spot/phone- &#8232;
Agree - not needed.

Wetsuit/Snorkel gear-
Could be fun, there sure are a lot of beaches in CA.

4wd- &#8232;
Agree.

RTT- &#8232;
My ground tent was fine.

Sink-
Agree

Backpacking Tent- &#8232;
I had my one and only tent, which I used for backpacking.

Weapons-
Absolutely don't want one.

-Dan

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Essentials/Must Haves

Vehicle- &#8232;
This is probably everyone biggest decision. Those of you that have been to our blog know we've had our issues and breakdowns...but we wouldn't change a thing.&#8232;&#8232;Bipbop said it, but to reiterate- notice nobody here has mentioned a specific vehicle or unimog as being needed. It isnt.
You CAN do this drive in any vehicle already parked outside your house and anyone who tells you that you differently either hasn't done it before or is trying to sell you something before you go. =)&#8232;

Pure gold right there. That's what we did...we chose the vehicle that was already parked in the driveway, and slightly tweaked it for more comfort. You can do it too...any vehicle choice has its pros/cons of course, but it's possible to take anything.

One of the biggest factors that keeps people from hitting the road is budget...if that's all that's stopping you, then choose a cheaper vehicle setup or take a backpack, tent and stove, then just go for it. Don't forget to set aside enough $$$ for the flight home. :sombrero:

Anything else setting you back is just an excuse!

southpier

Expedition Leader
for the "no-sink-niks": what is considered a "sink". I can understand foregoing a complete pressurized water system especially hot 'n' cold combination, but wouldn't a sink be a good place to let things drain?

Roman Catholic churches have a special sink in the sacristy which drains into earth. it's for a specific purpose, but I could stretch the idea and consider a small basin to let liquids go out of the vehicle.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Pure gold right there. That's what we did...we chose the vehicle that was already parked in the driveway, and slightly tweaked it for more comfort. You can do it too...any vehicle choice has its pros/cons of course, but it's possible to take anything.

One of the biggest factors that keeps people from hitting the road is budget...if that's all that's stopping you, then choose a cheaper vehicle setup or take a backpack, tent and stove, then just go for it. Don't forget to set aside enough $$$ for the flight home. :sombrero:

Anything else setting you back is just an excuse!

When I've traveled with just a backpack, for the most part I've not missed the tent, stove, sleeping bag, etc. that I left at home. I take way too much stuff and it still all fits in a 30L pack with space to spare.

The only thing I've missed doing that is having my own wheels. Public transport and hitching will get you everywhere but even places like Peru which has a fairly efficient bus system you can literally add days of waiting around to a journey if things don't line up. (We abandoned trying to get from Cuzco to Huaraz on the inland roads because of that.) I can usually only get out for four weeks so we need to balance the wonderful experience of not going anywhere fast and actually getting to where we wanted to go.

I've come to the conclusion that a motorcycle probably offers a good mix of traveling light with some camping gear and still being able to get around but its definitely not for everybody.

dangerbus

BryDanger
for the "no-sink-niks": what is considered a "sink". I can understand foregoing a complete pressurized water system especially hot 'n' cold combination, but wouldn't a sink be a good place to let things drain?
Roman Catholic churches have a special sink in the sacristy which drains into earth. it's for a specific purpose, but I could stretch the idea and consider a small basin to let liquids go out of the vehicle.

i really thought we should have a sink...it took me the strong account of several overlanders telling me to give it up and i still thought id prove them wrong.
but... all in all it was just never needed.

We loved having a faucet that we could fill up vessels/cups/ice trays/nalgenes with at anytime, but the need for an actual bowl to dump things into- that just never really happened.
Now... in reality (short of unattractive details) if you had asked me if a "hole" in the floor to dump things (liquids) out of the bus- that might have been useful.. i could see when we might have used it- but a functional sink with plumbing...it just seems like wasted space

southpier

Expedition Leader
....We loved having a faucet that we could fill up vessels/cups/ice trays/nalgenes with at anytime...

this would be my primary use, too. but when the vessel doth overflow, what catches it?

or, as per my usual, am i over analysing things here?

dangerbus

BryDanger
this would be my primary use, too. but when the vessel doth overflow, what catches it?

Excellant question.
We built ours right next to the doorway, and the faucet pivots out so it pours outside the vehicle at all times.
Sorry, cant seem to find a photo at the moment..but in the image below (pre faucet), it sits in the wall of the cabinet on the right, just above where the cabinet wall changes from true vertical to a slope.

cabinets-outside.jpg

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper

Wipe it up :)

Our jerry can's push-button spout is close to the door, but when we make a spill it's always small and managable. We may add a small hose so that we can fill larger containers from outside the door, eliminating any spills.

Dang, you beat me to it. Karin & Coen's post is excellent and I highly suggest anyone who would read this thread, should read their post. One lesson that keeps coming thru: no two experienced travelers will have the same opinion, and they are often even contradicting. Eventually you will find what works best for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears