Hino 4x4

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Thanks Doug, thats one of them. i managed to find a pic floatin on me computer of dads 10.220, coming back from Alice Springs. think this was 2008.

Andrew

View attachment 106574

Beautiful rig.

I guess this will be one more day of stewing about the cool trucks we can't get here in the US... :)

Does anybody have the dimensions of the 10.220 cab & chassis available (width, height, length)?

I tried Google, but it returns a kazillion "for sale" listings with the dimensions of the payload area. I need the overall dimensions of a stock cab & chassis. Thanks!

Amesz00

Adventurer
I 'll bet you a couple of those rib eye steaks we had that Andrew's pics (of that crewcab) don't show a pristine looking chassis like this though!!!

haha yea that about right.. cant really get close enought to have a good look or take a pic though.. its about 80m down the back of their yard. ill see if dads actually interested in it before i go asking questions.

Beautiful rig.

I guess this will be one more day of stewing about the cool trucks we can't get here in the US...

Does anybody have the dimensions of the 10.220 cab & chassis available (width, height, length)?

I tried Google, but it returns a kazillion "for sale" listings with the dimensions of the payload area. I need the overall dimensions of a stock cab & chassis. Thanks!

Cheers Doug :) she is a nice truck, beautiful to drive to ;) ,convinced dad to let me borrow it on the easter wkend coz i had a trip planned but sold my canter the week prior.

dimensions for a 10.220, WB 3560, OAW 2300, OAH (to cab) i think about 2800. the body length on this truck is 4800, and rear overhang is about 1800 with that body, so not to long.
sorry, all dimension in mm.
Andrew

dhackney

Expedition Leader
haha yea that about right.. cant really get close enought to have a good look or take a pic though.. its about 80m down the back of their yard. ill see if dads actually interested in it before i go asking questions.

We are currently living in Texas, USA. Getting 80m down into somebody's property here is typically ruled "suicide" at the coroner's hearing. :pROFSheriffHL:

Cheers Doug :) she is a nice truck, beautiful to drive to ;) ,convinced dad to let me borrow it on the easter wkend coz i had a trip planned but sold my canter the week prior.

Do you look anything like me? How about if I put on a wig? I'd be glad to let you use our FG here in North America if you think I can convince your dad to let us use his MAN for a ... while. ;)

dimensions for a 10.220, WB 3560, OAW 2300, OAH (to cab) i think about 2800. the body length on this truck is 4800, and rear overhang is about 1800 with that body, so not to long.

Thanks! Perfect.

sorry, all dimension in mm.
Andrew

No worries. I often slip into metric dimensions here, which leads to a lot of quizzical looks.

Amesz00

Adventurer
WOW !
I'd sure like to see some more photos of that rig.

Cheers Mog :)
ill try find some more for you. pretty sure i even have one from when it started out as a flatbed, all flexed up, where you can see the chassis twisting the tray as well :p

unfortunetly the site doesnt display any of our newer motorhomes, i have been thinking of starting a thread like ATW and earthcruiser have done.

John, i went and asked about the crewcab 10.220 yesterday. the manager said as it is a international company (boart longyear) he doesnt have authority to sell the vehicle, it would have to go to a public sale, etc.. but said he will give me heads up if it does go for sale.

We are currently living in Texas, USA. Getting 80m down into somebody's property here is typically ruled "suicide" at the coroner's hearing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA love it!

Andrew

DzlToy

Explorer
The Hino 500 is about the same cab size as the Isuzu FTR (USA 1996-2007) and is about a foot wider at the beltline than an FE/FG84.

Hard to tell on the interior cab height as the larger Hino and MAN trucks sit on much larger tires in stock form. Would love to have a 500 in 4WD and crew cab.

Cheers

EDIT: Hino 500 4x4 specs here and one attached PDF.

http://www.cityhino.com.au/hino/newtrucks/Upload/specifications/500/1322_4x4.pdf

Attachments

• Hino 500 Series 1626 FC LWB Specifications.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Hino 500 is about the same cab size as the Isuzu FTR (USA 1996-2007) and is about a foot wider at the beltline than an FE/FG84.

They are very similar in size. I know you don't get the FTS in the USA but here's one that we've got in the workshop today getting single wheels fitted.....this is a QPWS vehicle (similar to your National Parks Service) that is setup up for the beaches.

FTS Single Wheel.jpg

hinocairnseclipse

The only mods we really did for the truck were a single wheel conversion and tyre inflation system to speed up the airing down process.

I would love to know more about this single wheel conversion.

I drive an '89 GT as a spreader in WA 7 months of the year, looking to take it across to the November eclipse in Cairns, would prefer singles on the back!
Is it hard to convert from one to the other? Is it as simple as fitting different rims or is it a whole rear axle changeover?

I am thinking of doing the switch on a yearly basis as I need the duals in the work season.

hinocairnseclipse

Australian members, please share your impressions of Hino, compared to Mitsubishi and Isuzu. I know the Hino 500 model pictured above is in a heavier class than the Canter.

Gladly.
I run a spreading company with my uncle.
We have two Hino's ('86 and '89) and two Mitsubishis (similar vintage)
Not sure if those are too dated for your interest so I will keep this brief unless you ask for more ^^

Mitsubishi doesn't come in 4x4, but seems to use less fuel and the gearbox is all ten gears available all the time.

If we could put the Mitsi transmission in the Hino I would be a happy chappy, with the Hino I am stuck with 5 gears in L or 5 in H.
I must come to a complete standstill to switch from L to H range.

The new Hino of course has 6 speed, but still has the same H/L range issue.
There is a Hybrid with the variable transmission but its only 2WD.

The other spreader firm in town runs Isuzus and Mitsis, (also similar vintages) but my uncle said they had a lot of problems with at least one of the Isuzus.

Two of the farms I work on have 2003/2006 model Hinos so I can ask around if you have specific questions.
The 2006 has the double chassis, and it rusted out between the layers (looked like book leaves)
The same goes for one I saw at auction (It was an underground mine support vehicle)

The 2003 single chassis seems to be fine, so keep that in mind if you drive on salt or in corrosive environments.
Our '86/'89 models have the single chassis, work with super corrosive urea every year and still look better than the 2006 double chassis!

I hope that helps some...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Even if I owned a brand spanking new Hino, I'd have to retrofit the old winged badge!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I would love to know more about this single wheel conversion.

I drive an '89 GT as a spreader in WA 7 months of the year, looking to take it across to the November eclipse in Cairns, would prefer singles on the back!
Is it hard to convert from one to the other? Is it as simple as fitting different rims or is it a whole rear axle changeover?

Give Mark or Jon (not me) a call at work. It's 4 wheels and speedo re-calibration on the new Hino....not sure about the old model. Again ask those guys.

I am thinking of doing the switch on a yearly basis as I need the duals in the work season.

Why wouldn't you just stay on the singles all the time ????

Regards John.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears