Historical Photos Thread

Moody

Needs to get out more
SOAZ said:
Wow. Amazing shots. I recognize the... howitzer? from the national archives. Very cool!
That particular cannon is known as "The Dictator" 13in. diameter if I remember correctly. Look at the cannonballs. The size of two grown mens heads. Intimidating.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Moody said:
That particular cannon is known as "The Dictator" 13in. diameter if I remember correctly. Look at the cannonballs. The size of two grown mens heads. Intimidating.
Yikes. How would you like that flying at you. I can only imagine the sound it would make flying through the air! :yikes:

Some really great choices everyone.

IH8RDS said:
1. The First Photograph [France, 1826]

800px-view-from-the-window-at-le-gras-joseph-nicephore-niepce-tm.jpg

I know this image very well from my college years.

Here are three images that have always intrigued me. I can't find the other two images that have always fascinated me.
CIVIL099-2.gif

Bourke-White_bombing_of_mos.gif

MBourkeWhite2D.gif

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Wow. I went onto Telluridemuseum.org and saw these shots. Its amazing. I recognized them as being things I had seen on my trip there!
Colorado9-14-07315.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Topaz Japanese Internment Camp. Topaz, Utah
I went out with a fellow history teacher to see the site, about 2 hours out of SLC.
IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

DaJudge

Explorer
WaldorfMine1940s.jpg

WaldorfMcClellanMt1900s.jpg

Argentine_Central_Summit.jpg

Argentine_Central_Shay.jpg

These are all from around Waldorf, Colorado. South of Georgetown. This is a special place for me because it is the first place I wheeled out west. One of the reasons I moved out here.

shahram

Adventurer
This is my grandfather, Don, age fifteen, on his brother Bobby's scooter, Sunland, CA, circa 1944. Bobby, a devout Jehovah's Witness, was a conscientious objector during the war, and had been remanded by a judge to a work camp. He refused to go, and so the judge sent him to San Quentin for the duration of the war. His older brother John was fighting in Europe. John passed away three weeks ago.
grandpaonscooter.jpg

This is my maternal great grandmother, in her last year of high school. She became a wardrobe and set designer on lots of movie and television productions before her death in the late '60s. She was also an avid photographer, as was my great grandfather, who was best boy/grip at Hal Roach Studios in Culver City. Together, they amassed a few large boxes of candid set photos picturing lots of big (and little) names in film, and later TV. I've been converting them to digital and repairing the images as best I can.
greatgrandma.jpg

This is a shot of Clint Eastwood and Sheb Wooley eating lunch on the set of Rawhide.
clinteastwoodrawhide.jpg

A lot of the photos are sort of spur of the moment shots, not posed. Lots of them are overexposed, or blurry, but I think what she was trying to convey was a sense of her daily life. Some of the photos are of random, every day objects, other crew members, executives, office workers, etc. There are pictures of company picnics, wild parties, location scouting expeditions, and some of actors goofing off. Lots and lots of Hal Roach-era stuff, with Our Gang, Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Charley Chase...most of the time, you spend a minute looking at the pictures saying "Who the hell is this guy?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears