Hitch Hauler

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
I've use a MAX SwingAway cargo carriers (http://www.stowaway2.com) for the last 2 years with great success.

I haven't and wouldn't go off-roading with it instead I use it to help get all my base camp equipment to the campsite. Once there I remove it and other bits from the Jeep before exploring.

hoaxci5

Observer
I bought a cheapy from Harbor Freight for around $50, I had to assemble it though. It worked great from CA to MI, once I got to MI I had my dad weld it in a few spots just for good measure. It made it back to CA with no issue.

It does significantly reduce departure angle though, so I've been looking into raising it somehow. Currently I would no offroad it on anything more than a dirt road.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I have one and use it to carry firewood or extra gear to camp spots. as was stated it severely reduces departure angles.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
I got a Hitch-n-Haul from walmart for $50. Cut a couple pieces of angle iron and bolted them to the bottom to mount a couple front fork holders to carry my my bikes. I also use it to haul firewood. Hauled an engine on it, haul my cooler, haul my camping gear box... It's been all over the US with me. I'm even adding a receiver tube to the back of the adventure trailer I'm currently building, specifically for my Hitch-n-Haul. So yeah, nod of the best $50 I've ever spent.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
There are LOTS of variations on this theme. Aluminum, steel, folding, cheap, not cheap, and on and on. Like everything else, what you plan to use it for should determine your choice.

I wanted something I could treat like a small trailer, could match my Class 3 hitch's 500lb capacity, would not drag the ground, and could be equipped with trailer lights. I got a ROLA 59502 and I am very happy with it, but it is big, heavy, and not for everyone...

P1010816.jpg

P1010812.jpg

SouthTXToyCommercial.jpg

CampSite.jpg

Also I've had a good experience with this - http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

P1010834.jpg

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Hitch-Hauler

I have used with success a folding one on two long trips to northern Quebec, (James Bay region, Trans-Tiaga road) and also camping more close to home. when I think there may be clearence issues I do not pin the basket so it will not fold, this way if I drag the rear most part it just rides up like it is being folded up. No real hard-core trails and I am going slow but it has worked for me this way on some questionable fire/logging roads with no problems. I carried 4 gas cans up to Canada and around home have carried bundles of fire wood /cooler camping. Hope this helps you, stay safe, mjmcdowell

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I was given a homemade one that is 20x60 inches and it has been great, even hauled a small car engine on it to a local shipping dock. But come to think of it, probably the heaviest thing I have hauled on it was a set of four 33x12.50 tires and wheels plus a bin of firewood strapped on top of them. But most of your cheaper models on the market I wouldn't trust to put more than 150lbs or so on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior