HMMWV double beadlocks wheels on a Ford Superduty

chicken corners

Adventurer
Bella, those look great. Great looking rig. Mine showed up today, just need to get the PVC in 4 of them and I will be ready to go, and install my flat fenders. Andy is very helpful.

Attachments

• NEW TIRES AND WHEELS 001.JPG
    NEW TIRES AND WHEELS 001.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 112

Humvette

Adventurer
As you know i have an H1 and well this topic of taking the runflats comes up pretty often. My friend and i put a myth to bed that had been floating around the H1 forum for a while. We tied 1 tow strap to the runflat and another to the used tire. Then we tied the tow straps between my modded F350 and his modded 3500 siera!!! We did a redneck pull off and couldn't get them to separate LOL! Not one of my finer moments, but it was fun. Result:
- Runflat stuck in tire still (both destroyed) :smiley_drive:
- i bent a trailer hitch pin 1/2" inside my rear reciever!!! (That was fun to cut out) :ylsmoke:

I just needed that runflat beedlock for a spare. I have (4) rubber OEM AMG dual beedlocks with no runflat :bike_rider:

Note:
- Just buy the PCV beedlocks

teleturns

Adventurer
I bought a set of wheels and tires from TWF for my Dodge. I am really happy with them, but I am also having a balancing problem. I am coming to the conclusion that these old military tires are impossible to balance. I am going to order a set of centramatic balancers and keep my fingers crossed.

I bet getting the PVC inserts out of the tires is also a big task. I have not tried yet, but I am not looking forward to it when these tires are worn out. I guess a sawzall and cutting the old tire is an option.

Here is a pic of my truck
2011-02-19112918.jpg

Humvette

Adventurer
These Humvee wheels are classically not balanced and not round! I had to add 5 lbs to kinda balance one of my wheels. Yes Centramatics are a great idea. I just bought some new 42s and i will not balance them. Taking the PVC out will be extremely easy. The ol runflat craps have a mow hawk that prevents it from coming out easy. If you don't feel a vibration then don't worry about balancing them. Roundness is far more important. If your wheel tire orientation creates a hop then make the 12 wheel studs loose and swap the tire 180 degrees. This should help. Lots of write ups on the hummer forums about this ...
Thx,
M

sniderexciderr

Observer
maybe 6-8 months ago i came across a thread don't remember where i saw it but a guy took the pvc and cut it into 2 pieces. but cut it to where they wouldn't just fall apart if they were inside the wheel, cut them kind of like a squared off "S" shape. dont know how it worked out for him in the long run but it looked like it could work. when i get some time i'll try to look for the pic of it. but i dont think the pvc's would be near the trouble of the runflat to get them out.

teleturns

Adventurer
maybe 6-8 months ago i came across a thread don't remember where i saw it but a guy took the pvc and cut it into 2 pieces. but cut it to where they wouldn't just fall apart if they were inside the wheel, cut them kind of like a squared off "S" shape. dont know how it worked out for him in the long run but it looked like it could work. when i get some time i'll try to look for the pic of it. but i dont think the pvc's would be near the trouble of the runflat to get them out.

It was on Pirate4x4 and it was a write-up by Billavista. I don't think the pics work on the article anymore.....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-Hummer_Rims

Ron B

Explorer
the runflats are no good with tires larger than 37" maybe 38". But you do need a runflat or more preferably a beadlock for these rims. The two piece rims can be balanced much better than the crappy one piece steelies -- most came out of the factory out of round. If you are having trouble balancing the two piece rims they are bent.

for online hummer info the two best sights are the HML and Flashoffroad.

here is the knowledge base on the HML (scroll down to runflats):
http://www.HummerKnowledgeBase.com/tire/index.html

and Chuck's site, Flashoffroad with lots of articles about humer wheels and tires:
http://www.flashoffroad.com/humdefault.htm

Jnmarm

I bought a set of wheels and tires from TWF for my Dodge. I am really happy with them, but I am also having a balancing problem. I am coming to the conclusion that these old military tires are impossible to balance. I am going to order a set of centramatic balancers and keep my fingers crossed.

I bet getting the PVC inserts out of the tires is also a big task. I have not tried yet, but I am not looking forward to it when these tires are worn out. I guess a sawzall and cutting the old tire is an option.

Here is a pic of my truck
2011-02-19112918.jpg

I had the same problem balancing the h1s I got from Dean. Turns out The places I was taking them to have them balanced (though they charged me 100 bucks) where not dynamically balancing the tires. Even though they spin them it is a static balance. You can tell if they aren't placing weights on both the inside of the rim as well as the outside. I bought a balancer (the kind they use at then shops) and balanced them myself (dynamically). More weights but now it is smooth as silk.

Regarding the removal of the inserts. If you have an engine lift (who doesnt) put the tire under the legs and wrap a chain or strap around the insert and use lift arm to pull the insert out. Easy peasy.

aCab

Observer
I am now interested in running these wheels on my PSD, but I'm interested to know what 16.5 tires in a 37" are available and which have the best performance both on and off the road.

REDROVER

Explorer
I am now interested in running these wheels on my PSD, but I'm interested to know what 16.5 tires in a 37" are available and which have the best performance both on and off the road.

the original hummers 16.5 with 37 inch Goodyear MT. will take you anywhere . also those are MILITARY OZ tires ozone resistant witch means they could be 15 years old but no cracks on them

Attachments

• hummer rim.jpg
    hummer rim.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

Demon4x4

As far as removing the runflats, When I bought a set, I just used a reciprocating saw and cut them in half. Took about three minutes or so, then came right out. Replaced them with PVC.

REDROVER

Explorer
As far as removing the runflats, When I bought a set, I just used a reciprocating saw and cut them in half. Took about three minutes or so, then came right out. Replaced them with PVC.

those run flats have been useless from day one. i have 1 piece bead locks from AM GENERAL , not the aftermarket PVC ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman