Hobie!

atavuss

Adventurer
I had been renting a few Hobie pedal kayaks to try them out on the water.
we went to Silver Lake (elevation around 7200') on highway 88 in California to try a Outback and Sport. the Sport is only around 10' long, cramped and not stable, I did not like that one. I liked the Outback as it is longer and wider with a roomier cockpit. I am 6'3" and even with the drive pedals set in the farthest position I could still hit the end of the travel. we pedaled around the lake for over 9 miles on our first trip and we were not that tired. I started trolling and after 5 minutes I had a small brown trout on that I had to keep due to it bleeding too much. did not catch anything after that.
kayak.jpg

kayaks.jpg

our next trip we went to Upper Blue Lakes just a few miles from Silver Lake off of highway 88, it is around the same elevation. I had purchased a Hobie Pro Angler and my son was in the Sport rental. we pedaled around for about 4.5 miles. did not catch anything. the PA is very stable and set up for fishing with pole storage and gear storage right in front of the very comfortable seat. the downside with the PA is the heavy weight, over 100 lbs. loaded. the capacity is 600! lbs. it got cloudy and started to sprinkle and smoke from a distant fire rolled in so we made a fast run in on choppy water, I did not see the boulder until I was right on top of it and bent the drive masts and tore one fin on the first trip out! managed to straighten the masts and replaced the torn fin.
PA.jpg

pa%20and%20sport.jpg

PA%20drive.jpg

Last edited:

Baja Trekker

yak

Fun photos!

I've 'paddled' one of these before - very efficient! If only they'd put this system on a sea worthy expedition kayak then us cyclists would have a lot of fun along the coast of Baja! :snorkel:

greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears