Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - On to new adventures!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
So are your father and uncle pilots, flight mechanics, or both?
So are your father and uncle pilots, flight mechanics, or both?

We are all three private pilots, my father has been into vintage and antique aircraft most of his life.

Here's a photo of my father and his 1929 Pitcairn Mail Wing that he restored back in the day.

maxresdefault-X2.jpg

And our last plane, a 1938 Piper J3 with the original 38 Continental 50hp upstack engine.

Cub-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We are all three private pilots, my father has been into vintage and antique aircraft most of his life.

Here's a photo of my father and his 1929 Pitcairn Mail Wing that he restored back in the day.

maxresdefault-X2.jpg

And our last plane, a 1938 Piper J3 with the original 38 Continental 50hp upstack engine.

Cub-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Very nice, I love the Piper. I have a my Private and Instrument rating. I've been looking to get back into flying recently and we have been shopping planes with another buddy who just sold his 152/2 Acro. We came very close to pulling the trigger on an exceedingly rare Piper Comanche 400, but I think we are leaning towards a Cherokee 6/300 simply for the space and ability to carry two more people. Money is tight at the moment due to unexpected bills, but hopefully after the dust settles we can get serious about buying in the next 12-18 months.

DorB

Adventurer
Continued from above....

Extending the SwitchPro positive cable.

P8110063-X2.jpg

I like to keep the color coding of the positive=red, negative=black.

Mixing colors on the same cable increase exponentially the risk of electrical accidents.
90cb6efd7dedb4378a7d77792c993b24.png

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I like to keep the color coding of the positive=red, negative=black.

Mixing colors on the same cable increase exponentially the risk of electrical accidents.

I would say that's true if your not color coding the ends of the cable. I prefer to use black wiring for the battery runs under the hood, it provides a clean overall look to the wiring job. Positive and negative cables are easily identified via colored heat shrink on the ends of the cables. You don't need the entire cable red to be able to safely identify the positive cable.

P8110114-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Very nice, I love the Piper. I have a my Private and Instrument rating. I've been looking to get back into flying recently and we have been shopping planes with another buddy who just sold his 152/2 Acro. We came very close to pulling the trigger on an exceedingly rare Piper Comanche 400, but I think we are leaning towards a Cherokee 6/300 simply for the space and ability to carry two more people. Money is tight at the moment due to unexpected bills, but hopefully after the dust settles we can get serious about buying in the next 12-18 months.

My grandfather owned a Cherokee 6...that's a solid airplane especially with the 300. I've had the itch to start flying again lately, would love to build a KitFox.....but would need to sell my truck to fund it. Hmmmm....LOL

Hodakaguy

jgaz

Adventurer
My grandfather owned a Cherokee 6...that's a solid airplane especially with the 300. I've had the itch to start flying again lately, would love to build a KitFox.....but would need to sell my truck to fund it. Hmmmm....LOL

Hodakaguy
Damn! Given your attention to detail and documentation skills I’d darn near pay $ to read your KitFox build. You could do a build manual for the manufacture. I’m not a pilot but I helped my cousin build his KitFox about 20 years ago. It was a very interesting way to spend a long Michigan winter.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Hodakaguy

Yea I've flown the smaller power plant Cherokee's and the power and climb rates simply aren't there unless it's the 300. I could probably live with the 260, but at the end of the day I couldn't bring myself to make that purchase.

That's funny that you mention the KitFox planes, I've always said that eventually I will have a tail dragger so that I can fly it to the ranch. Check out the @TrentPalmer channel on youtube, he flies one and has quite a few friends with other kit bush planes, very entertaining stuff. I get the need to offload other toys in order to sacrifice for the greater good, but I am not sure I can support the sale of your Taco in order for that to happen lol. Enjoy it for a few years first!

BlackdogGS

Observer
I’ve an identical truck but in cement. I see you have the OVTune, did that make a big difference? My main issue with my truck is the transmission and the constant shifting. The truck feels like it either needs a bigger engine or re-geared. I’m very unhappy with this truck as is, I just got the latest TSB that addresses the poor shifting but I didn’t notice an improvement. Re-gearing is another option but I hate doing that to a new truck. I’m hating this thing so far.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I’ve an identical truck but in cement. I see you have the OVTune, did that make a big difference? My main issue with my truck is the transmission and the constant shifting. The truck feels like it either needs a bigger engine or re-geared. I’m very unhappy with this truck as is, I just got the latest TSB that addresses the poor shifting but I didn’t notice an improvement. Re-gearing is another option but I hate doing that to a new truck. I’m hating this thing so far.

OV Tune made a HUGE difference, couple that with the 4.88 gearing and you have a winning combo! The truck is soooo much more fun to drive with the gears and tune! You won't regret it!

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998