Holy Grail Truck

purdytj

seeker
12-valve junkie

Welcome to the club. My black unicorn is named B.A. Baracus. i'm a child of the 80's, so the name seemed to fit. I'm a bit obsessed about Baracus and made a web page at http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/truck.html if you'd like to see more pictures.
I'd encourage you to check out the Turbo Diesel Reigster for more forums about everything Cummins. www.tdr1.com
I also have a 74 Airstream... Great minds think alike. This forum, TDR's forum, and the Air Forums are where I spend most of my time.
I saw in a previous post something about a 98 with 12 valves and a club cab, not a quad cab... I believe the quad cab, with four doors, was an option for the truck at that time and not necessarily on every truck.
5739276_orig.jpg

1998 2500 QC-LB 4x4, 12-valve, NV4500, SLT, 4" MBRP, leveling kit, KDP tabbed, Hankook 295/70 R17 tires, ProCompXtreme 7089 wheels, TransCool, MagHytec rear diff cover, AmsOil, AutoMeter gauges (other mods at http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/truck.html).
1974 Airstream Sovereign

huntsonora

Explorer
Welcome to the club. My black unicorn is named B.A. Baracus. i'm a child of the 80's, so the name seemed to fit. I'm a bit obsessed about Baracus and made a web page at http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/truck.html if you'd like to see more pictures.
I'd encourage you to check out the Turbo Diesel Reigster for more forums about everything Cummins. www.tdr1.com
I also have a 74 Airstream... Great minds think alike. This forum, TDR's forum, and the Air Forums are where I spend most of my time.
I saw in a previous post something about a 98 with 12 valves and a club cab, not a quad cab... I believe the quad cab, with four doors, was an option for the truck at that time and not necessarily on every truck.
View attachment 168189

1998 2500 QC-LB 4x4, 12-valve, NV4500, SLT, 4" MBRP, leveling kit, KDP tabbed, Hankook 295/70 R17 tires, ProCompXtreme 7089 wheels, TransCool, MagHytec rear diff cover, AmsOil, AutoMeter gauges (other mods at http://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/truck.html).
1974 Airstream Sovereign

I guarantee you that Redthies knows his stuff on these diesels. He sought out the truck he bought for years!

Amazing setup and great pics bud

Kaisen

Explorer
Do your rear doors open? on my buddies 9812v they don't, is your truck truly the rarest of them all?
Rear doors open. They should on any '98. That and the 12 valve 5 speed is what makes it so grail.
I guarantee you that Redthies knows his stuff on these diesels. He sought out the truck he bought for years!

Quad Cab was an OPTION on a 1998 Club Cab.....in other words, 1998s could have had rear doors, or not. They weren't even available the first couple months of production of the 1998 model year.
So his truck is pretty rare

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I only learned recently that you could have a '98 without the quadcab. I have never seen one, or heard of one except for on the interwebnet. Maybe I will see a squatch soon! That is about as rare to see from what I have heard, but people do see them...

I would guess if the quad cab was an option, it would have been a popular one!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Had a bit of an issue yesterday. Drove 40 miles of twisty mountain highway to work, and saw this:

image_zps2deecf1a.jpg

Limped the truck 500 yards to the tire shop in "Podunk", and looked for a spare wheel. They couldn't find one for me, so they just did a "rotation" and sent me on my way with a 5x4. I had some reservations about the Alcoas as one of the wheels had slightly oval lug holes. I was casually shopping for different wheels. Needless to say that the shopping is no longer casual.

Wheel off the truck. I think the big lock washer style lugs were the only things holding it together.

image_zps0e33ad7c.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Mmmmhuh…..Ford wheel. There have been quite a few like that. Wasn’t there even a campaign about 7 years ago or so where dealers were inspecting these exact wheels for cracks or Julian dates or something?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Alcoa wheel, not Ford. Sold on Fords, but can't blame them for this. That said, I am not surprised to hear there might have been a recall/service bulletin if this was common.

I ordered four new steel wheels today that will work with the two factory steels I already have. Fasteddy47 has a set of 17" Dodge wheels he is going to gift me (hopefully), but due to the new 16" Toyos I have to get something to use until they wear out. $85 each for new wheels is not too bad, so I'll use the 16s for a year or two, and then sell the wheels when the tires are worn and then switch to 17s.

Kaisen

Explorer
Well, it might not be surprising that the rims failed

The Ford Dually Alcoas you're running aren't exactly the same spec as a 1998 Dodge Ram Dually. Since those wheels are bore-centric, they were engineered to use the bore for centering and support. Your Ram doesn't have exactly the same bore-center as the Ford (as seen in your photo above -- 4.88" vs 4.78"). So you were bearing all the load on the lug studs, and those wheels weren't engineered to work that way. It was bound to fail eventually.

Good to hear you found a safe replacement set

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Alcoa wheel, not Ford. Sold on Fords, but can't blame them for this. That said, I am not surprised to hear there might have been a recall/service bulletin if this was common.

I agree with what Kaisen said……

.....But, sure you can blame Ford even if there is a bore centric difference between Dodge and Ford. The reality is those wheels have been reported to have issues even on the trucks they were designed to be on. Suppliers build components to the customers bid specs. Chances are some cost engineer at Ford spec’d the metallurgy content and build process to for Alcoa to manufacture Ford's exclusive wheel. Interesting you never really hear of issues with Alcoa wheels outside of these Super Duty wheels that pop up from time to time with cracks around the hub ring. Many OEM’s use Alcoa as a wheel supplier and nobody else seems to be having issues.

Glad you were able to catch this before it completely broke and hurt somebody. Good idea to go back to steel wheels.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yup, they came on the truck, and I had been shopping already, but this sure sped up the process!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good info Larry. I have been looking at 4th gen Dodge Alcoas, although they are crazy pricey. I haven't checked if they are still 8 on 6.5 yet.

I don't have a Ford anymore, so what the heck, let's blame 'em!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online