Home brewed rear bumpers w/ swing outs

Clintnz

Observer
Here's my take. I built the bumper years ago then a recent tyre size upgrade prompted the build of the carrier:

rP1030452_zps5a64bd7f.jpg

I made a housing for some old kingpin bearings for the hinge & used an old car door latch which works great.

rP1030464_zpsd59e91bf.jpg

The socket & holes on the end accept a custom built bike rack. Or anything else I may think of in the future.

rP1040925_zpslnj1zxue.jpg

r20150807_142458_zpsopwhpban.jpg

Next up I need to install a stay, put a spade mount in front of the tyre & add a reversing/camp light on an extendable pole.

Cheers
Clint

snekvasil

Adventurer
Here's my take. I built the bumper years ago then a recent tyre size upgrade prompted the build of the carrier:

rP1030452_zps5a64bd7f.jpg

I made a housing for some old kingpin bearings for the hinge & used an old car door latch which works great.

rP1030464_zpsd59e91bf.jpg

The socket & holes on the end accept a custom built bike rack. Or anything else I may think of in the future.

rP1040925_zpslnj1zxue.jpg

r20150807_142458_zpsopwhpban.jpg

Next up I need to install a stay, put a spade mount in front of the tyre & add a reversing/camp light on an extendable pole.

Cheers
Clint

I like your setup. Those tires are rad, too. Are they the centipede tires? I think that's the name...

Clintnz

Observer
I like your setup. Those tires are rad, too. Are they the centipede tires? I think that's the name...

Thanks! The tyres are the Simex Centipede / Extreme Trekker 2 in 36x12.5" Awesome in the bush but the road handling isn't the greatest compared with the 35" RT-03 Hankooks I have for everyday use.

Cheers
Clint

DMFC

Impressive Clintnz. I would like to see more about the car latch. How is is it mounted and what is the release mechanism? Do you have a picture thread of the build? Thanks for the ideas!

Clintnz

Observer
Thanks! Here's a better pic of the latch setup:

rP1030453_zpsf3e121cf.jpg

The latch mechanism is mounted in a piece of RHS with a slot drilled/cut/ground in & mounting holes drilled. The loop it engages on was just welded on. The rod to unlatch got shortened up & attached to a custom lever. With a slightly different design you could easily utilise the original door handle from some cars I'd guess.

More pics of the tyre carrier fabrication in my build thread here (scroll down a bit)

Cheers
Clint

Clintnz

Observer
Just finished a few refinements to my swing out. Added a reverse/work/camp light on an extendable pole, a spade mount & a latch to hold it open:

rP1050376_zpsl3fyx4rn.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Zeep

Adventurer
Bumper and Rotopax tire carrier I had made by a guy in Knoxville TN.

IMG_6461281589522_zpsqtk1fzph.jpeg

IMG_5167_zps1eaddaf2.jpg

Looks to be very well thought out. Ask him if he'd like to make one for '05 LJ. I have a lot of ideas, but no place or tools to fab one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger