Home climbing walls?

Sloan

Explorer
I am going to put up a small wall for my daughter outside and was wondering what holds you guys have used, what you liked, didn't like and why? Depending on how this small wall goes over I may be building a larger one for dad inside. :D

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea,
This is on our list of cool home additions as well.

At the Outdoor Retailer show last week I met a company that makes and sells holds. They have a great selection perfect for home walls and a special like of products just for kids! Check out their ABC and 123 holds along with lots of animal shapes and a "ball holder" http://www.nicros.com/products.cfm?CatID=17

home page is www.nicros.com

very nice people.

I look forward to seeing how your wall turns out!

Brian

Sloan

Explorer
Awesome! Ab will freak out if I use the abc's and the critters mixed in with regular holds.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have a pretty big wall in my garage. I'll post some pictures later today. I used Entre Pre and Metolious holds. You can find some great deals on Ebay.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have tried unsuccessfully to download some pictures of my wall. My wall is in the garage and essentially bisects the garage. It covers the left wall as you walk in and extends out the ceiling to the center of the garage for upside down fun. For my kids the climbing is hit and miss, sometimes they want to climb and sometimes they dont. I dont push them. I have a crash pad that they use and a Petzl kids harness that they use for tough moves off the deck. I also bought a few pair of www.madrockclimbing.com kids climbing shoes. That made a big difference in their motivation. I'll be taking them to Joshua Tree in the Fall and Winter for more climbing. One thing about having kids that climb is that I have to throw out my agenda when going to places like Joshua Tree, I see all these climbs I want to do but end up belaying the kids all day. Oh well, as soon as they get big enough to belay me they can repay the favor:)

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Here are a few pictures of my daughter on the wall I built. If your in town stop by and let your kids climb on it, or yourself for that matter, I need to get on it and get back in climbing shape myself.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Kellymoe,

Is your wall direct into concrete?
How tall is it?
How wide?
How many holds?
How old are your kids?

Thanks,

This thread has rekindled our idea of building one.

Brian

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
mcvickoffroad said:
Hey Kellymoe,

Is your wall direct into concrete?
How tall is it?
How wide?
How many holds?
How old are your kids?

Thanks,

This thread has rekindled our idea of building one.

Brian

The wall is only 8' tall but extends from the front of the garage to the back wall and wraps 8' of the back wall. It also extends 8' out the ceiling. Esentially the left side of the garage is all climbing wall. I used plywood and for the wall and painted it gray. If I were to do it over again I would make at least 8' of the wall severely overhanging for a better workout. It's fine for the kids but I get kind of bored on it and it would be a better pump if it were more cave like. The wall is about 20', 10' of it is vertical and 10 feet is overhanging a bit and the ceiling is well, upside down:)

My kids are 7 and 5. My 5 y/o daughter is the most interested right now. My son enjoys top roping on real rock and also likes canyoneering involving rapels and climbing. I started them slow and have not been pushy at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan