Home Depots 12 volt fridge

frans

Adventurer
Has anyone seen this or know anything about the manufacturer? Are they reliable as Engal or one of the other leading brands?
thanks
frans

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 630

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Looks exactly like this but $100 cheaper
FP430_vl1.jpg

http://www.compactappliance.com/BDC...d=Appliances-Freezers-Portable_Fridge_Freezer

here is the discussion thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23350

Ghostship

Observer
I just happily paid $250 more for my ARB because it comes with a hot chick with a sexy accent.

Oops, I fell asleep watching Fringe again :drool: Hopefully the ARB will be energy efficient at least ...

kai38

Explorer
I'm looking at buying one of the fridges.
If you do a search by part number BDC-40 you can bring up other companies selling the same fridge as high as $800.00 (not sure if that was US $$ or not)
Has close to same spec as the same size ARB fridge.
If you apply for a home depot credit card you can get 12 months no interest, 10% off first purchase & I think free shipping.

Refrigerator Capacity : 1.5 Cu Ft.= 42.4752699 liters
# Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 17.7 In.
# Assembled Height (In Inches) : 20.8 In.
# Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 49
# Assembled Width (In Inches) : 24.7 In.
Temperature Range
* Refrigerator: 32°F to 50°F
* Freezer: -8°F to 28°F
# Warranty (Labor) : Full 1 Year / Limited 5 Year
# Warranty (Parts) : Full 1 Year / Limited 5 Year
47f143dd-1353-48b8-8532-1275e8f4d7fd_400.jpg
ce2c195a-7cac-4fd4-b08e-f50e6591ba9c_400.jpg

arbfreezers.gif

ARB
Model MT45F-AL
Capacity USA 42 quart/40 litre
Power Consumption 0.7 to 2.7 amp hr
Dimensions H20 x W24 7/8 x D14 1/8
Weight 52lbs

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Has close to same spec as the same size ARB fridge.
It seems to draw nearly twice the power, I seem to remember from the old thread. If you run one battery you really need to watch how fast it runs down. I have an Engel MT45 and one battery and a day, maybe two with care, before the starter cranks pretty slow. At twice the draw you might find you have a day or less of running until a flat battery.

EricGagne

Adventurer
Has anyone seen this or know anything about the manufacturer? Are they reliable as Engal or one of the other leading brands?
thanks
frans

They seem to be made or imported by a company in South Carolina. Unfortunately that fridge seems to be their only product that doesn't have a PDF in the support section of their web site but if you contact them maybe they can send it to you.

http://www.atccoolers.com/

dzzz

At that price I think it has a swing 12v compressor. The Engel does also:

http://www.cooler-store.com/engel_12_volt_cooler_16qt_2103_prd1.htm

If the Engel can be found at a similiar price I would go the name brand for parts. But note that most Engels have the hardware on the side, the "no name" has it on the bottom. Neither is better bot one shap/venting may be preferable.

The units closer to $1000 usually have a Danfoss compressor. I don't know the efficiency comparison between swing and danfoss. Danfoss is German top-of-the line.

Edit: I'll add the the difference between a freezer and a refrigerator is insulation. A freezer capable unit gives up a lot of internal space for foam walls and bottom. The parts are the same.

Edit Again: ARB freezers are either made by Waeco or are a knock-off. Waeco is owned by dometic and seems to be the largest manufacturer of 12/24v freezers and frigs. ARB makes metal things for 4x4. It's very unlikely they make freezers. Nothing wrong with that. But nothing special either. If ARB uses danfoss compressors, I suggest choosing based on price.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...The units closer to $1000 usually have a Danfoss compressor. I don't know the efficiency comparison between swing and danfoss. Danfoss is German top-of-the line....

Not really true, the new ARB for example features a Danfoss, and is within a few dollars of the Swing equipped Engel. Waeco prices are in the similar ballpark. I don't think you can assume what compressor it has based on price alone. I'm still leaning towards a non-swing on these units but having never played with one I could be wrong.

..Edit Again: ARB freezers are either made by Waeco or are a knock-off. Waeco is owned by dometic and seems to be the largest manufacturer of 12/24v freezers and frigs. ARB makes metal things for 4x4. It's very unlikely they make freezers. Nothing wrong with that. But nothing special either. If ARB uses danfoss compressors, I suggest choosing based on price.

Neither are true. The new ARB design is their own, front concept to engineering, designed by them over the past 3 years and manufactured exclusively for them. It uses the same Danfoss compressor, but other then that the differences are stark.

RgrBox

Adventurer
I got myself a 12V frig a couple of years ago, but it doesn't get very "COLD". just kool. Is this normal, or do the better ones get colder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12