Home Made Awning

sidewys xj

Observer
I wanted to finally post something that I built over the last couple of weeks. I have always really liked awnings and I just couldn't see paying $300+ for one. So I was sitting at work one day and I happened to look over at a pallet of old projector screens out of classrooms (I work for the local school district). I was able to talk my boss into letting me have one. I got to thinking, that would make a really nice awning. Retractable and all. So I built some brackets to mount it to my basket rack and went and bought some adjustable tent poles, a couple of stakes, and some straps and went to work on it. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up over tightening the recoil and broke the spring so I took one of the end caps off and welded a rod and bearing onto the center roll and then welded a 5/16" socket onto the end of the rod and now use a ratchet to reel it up. I was able to build it all for a total of $20.20. it measures 6ft by 6ft Here are a few pictures, what do you guys think? Luke

View attachment 17185

View attachment 17186

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Now that's some good recycling!

Hope it holds up well to the weather, but if it doesn't, maybe you can get another for the same price!

sidewys xj

Observer
Thanks

Thats whats cool about it its a rebuildable when the original material gets weathered I can replace it with tent and awning material

Luke

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I think you are very resourceful and executed on a great idea: That's what I think! Good job. And most projector screens are made with reflective/glass bead surfaces: Should be extra cool under your awning this summer!

sidewys xj

Observer
Weather

I will let every one know how she holds up. We had some pretty good winds here yesterday and it stayed nice and tight.

Luke :camping:

articulate

Expedition Leader
sidewys xj said:
. . .old projector screens out of classrooms . . .
Clever. I searched the world over looking for just the retracting hardware found in those screens for my awning. No luck. But I never thought about just using a projector screen - or replace the material with canvas or tent material. Whatever.

Anyway, nice work.

You can display a slideshow at camp, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman